• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail - Commute times

fozzy33

Wondering if anyone can advise on how strict a ScotRail policy is.

I’ve recently applied for a conductor role with ScotRail, applications closed on Monday. One of the questions on the application was “can you get to your base station in 45 minutes?” Which - if you believe Google maps - would be a 47 minute drive.

Does anyone know how strict they are about this? I drove to the station before submitting my application and was able to do it in just over 40 minutes from my home address, so I’ve got no idea where Google gets 47 minutes from. Are they likely to trust me saying I can get to work in under 45 minutes; or will this be queried? Or even worse, thrown out automatically based on what Maps or similar would say is the distance between postcodes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AG78UK

Unsure of specific TOC rules but usually due to the safety critical nature of the role and the dangers of fatigue management it can be a difficult call.

I have known people who stay 1 hour away from their chosen depots and had no issue. As due to traffic it could always change.

It’s unfortunately one of those wait and see games.

Ducatist4

Bear in mind that you are just one of probably several hundred applicants for this role. The railway can pick and choose, they have to get the numbers down somehow and this is just one way of doing that.

Saltire1973

Also, Google takes account of real live time traffic conditions. If you checked the travel time at midnight on a Saturday it would likely be far less than 08:00 on a Wednesday. I believe AA Route Planner doesn't take account of traffic, so that may give you a better average.

fozzy33

Bear in mind that you are just one of probably several hundred applicants for this role. The railway can pick and choose, they have to get the numbers down somehow and this is just one way of doing that.
Yeah, this is my fear at the moment. I’m hopeful they’re lenient on that, like I say it’s not entirely accurate to say I live 47 minutes away. If not, I’ll just need to wait for a closer station.