• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Kendo

I’ve simply offered an opinion as to why training hasn’t restarted based on the general feeling of the overwhelming majority of drivers in the north Clyde area.
It’s a perfectly valid opinion as there has been absolutely no indication or reason given for the delay.
All you have offered is to say you don’t know why there’s an issue if it’s ok for everybody else without attempting to give any sort of explanation.
You keep going on about how other TOCs/FOCs are doing it so why don’t you enlighten the rest of us.
Which TOCs/FOCs have resumed training and which ones haven’t, what mitigation’s are in place for those that have and what are the reasons given for any others that haven’t restarted?
In general you've been a negative voice all through this chat. Everything you write is negative and not helpful at all. I'm glad you've been proved wrong.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CFC1888

320320, seems on the surface to appear quite bitter and have an issue with trainees for whatever reason. As someone who is awaiting a start date from HR having gone through the process, his negativity and misinformation has caused no end of worry. I have spoken to those in a similar position to myself and everyone has spoken of how poor his negative rhetoric on his posts have been. None of which have ever been evidence based may i add.

I have kept my ink dry on the situation throughout, wishing only to deal in facts and what I have been told and not the generic 'what I've been told or what I'm hearing now' line throughout his posts. I have been in touch with HR throughout who have never waivered from the view that training will happen and the roles will go ahead. It was only ever about creating a safe working environment which takes time. I echo the sentiment from previous posters about your conduct in this thread.

kickin aff

It's good that ASLEF have agreed in principle a return to training and how this is to be both managed and maintained.

From my understanding, there is an issue around TSSA agreeing to this. As such DTM's, as it stands, will not be getting into cabs. I hope this is something that can be resolved quickly but I think this may be weeks away if not longer.

John Bishop

waffling indeed.

You‘ve added absolutely nothing to this thread other than to say you don’t know why training hasn’t been resumed if it’s happening elsewhere or snidely dismissing any opinion that it’s because safety cant be guaranteed.

Forgive me if I completely disregard the musings of someone that hasn’t been driving long enough to even take trainees in their cab :lol:

It’s now abundantly clear that you have added nothing to this thread other than cause worry and angst among others needlessly, so forgive me if I completely disregard your musings.

Theres obviously a massive issue in getting you back in a cab and having spoken to a couple of LLC reps it appears to be that no agreement can be reached on the best and safest way forward. The usual cranks will no doubt say this is rubbish because other TOCs are managing...

Sounds like your reps are not with it or speaking c**p doesn’t it and it looks like the “usual cranks” were right after all. Apology accepted.

Great news for the trainees who I’m sure are looking forward to getting back in the seat.

In principle, no confirmed dates.

I know of at least 2 depots where every DI has declined to take trainees at this time.

Traiin111

Not a ScotRail trainee but my TOC has just updated me that trainees are now slowly going to be called back at work. They have been training instructors and now everyone is just waiting for the first batch of trainees (those who have the most hours under their belt) to return. We ve been told that we need to conduct a covid test atleast 7 days (I think) before training. or maybe it was 2 days.. cant remember. but this all will take atleast 3- 6 weeks but the government guidelines can change anything.

The fact that our DTMs have kept us informed throughout this period, has taken away most of my anxiety and stress. Good Luck guys!

Kendo

I've got a covid test booked for tomorrow so nice to see things are progressing well.

Kendo

How many Motherwell DIs have agreed and how many have refused :?:
I wouldn't know as I said I've got a covid test booked. It's a positive step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. I'm not on a forum to get involved in petty arguments. I used this platform like many others for advice and guidance which has always been helpful and appreciated. The reason I posted about the covid test as i believe it would help trainees realise that things are progressing.

D.Driver

Hi all, I’ve read a lot of comments over the last few months on this situation and it’s evident there’s been a lot of negativity and scare mongering amongst our fellow colleagues. A lot of rumours and bothy lawyers as some may say. Thankfully they are people out there wanting to try make this work and I for one I’m glad to see trainees will soon be back on the seat. To add to Motherwell, there’s two trainiees at a north Clyde depot set for tests tomorrow and have Di’s that have volunteered. If there’s any trainees out there, stay positive and upbeat, they are people wanting you back. Thanks all.

CFC1888

:lol: We’ll see :lol:
Imagine being happy in the hope you could be proved right about peoples livelihood. Fortunately everyone else is dealing in facts and not hearsay like yourself. Having read most of your posts, you have been wrong on almost everything you have said. I'd like to think you would hold your hands up at some point and say you got stuff wrong and that your attitude has been unhelpful at best, but i won't hold my breath.

To those who are hopefully getting back into training, best of luck, and to those trainers who are helping the process, everyone is extremely grateful for assistance.

pendy12

Hi all, I’ve read a lot of comments over the last few months on this situation and it’s evident there’s been a lot of negativity and scare mongering amongst our fellow colleagues. A lot of rumours and bothy lawyers as some may say. Thankfully they are people out there wanting to try make this work and I for one I’m glad to see trainees will soon be back on the seat. To add to Motherwell, there’s two trainiees at a north Clyde depot set for tests tomorrow and have Di’s that have volunteered. If there’s any trainees out there, stay positive and upbeat, they are people wanting you back. Thanks all.
Thanks mate! Wee messages like this make a huge difference to those patiently waiting.

hiall

A huge step forward for trainees and I'm happy for them. However the major stumbling block is still there with regards to dis and Dtms agreeing to do it. We will all know where this is going, I would imagine, a week from now.

So are you man enough to say sorry ? You called me a lier and said I have caused false hope to trainee drivers, Can you please man up ? I take it serious when someone try’s to lower my reputation.

This won’t be a straight road 100% not, many turns along the way. However it’s going forward. End off.

The east coast seems far more willing to help, through the middle of the country it’s more helpful I know a few depots will all DIs ready to go.

it seems to the west that have issues. Interesting.

The difference between me and others, I get my info from the top, From the men making them.

not mr ; “My LlC tOlD mE!” See who ever your LLC are vote them out next term, there out of the loop.

You’ve been telling whoppers and contradicting yourself since you joined, you’re a bigger liar than Tam Pepper.

First you were “100% not in the know” now you “get your info from the top, from the men making them” So which one is it?

You said you “know the training school is set up and ready to go” then it was “school won’t open for a while that has many issues apparently” So which one is it?

You said “trainees back September 28th” You said you know “2/3 depots were all DIs have said there ok with it and ready to go” then you said “I never said anything about appetite of return”, make your mind up :rolleyes:

You said DTMs will be passing out trainees by using route dvds :lol: when has that ever happened?

We’re in the middle of a global pandemic, we’re not allowed to visit our families, we’re not allowed to share car journeys but we’ve to believe that every DI you know is willing to share a train cab for up to 7 hours per day where the wearing of PPE is optional and they’ve no reservations about it.

You‘re leading these people up the garden path and they’ll soon know about it when they see how many DIs have declined to resume training. Maybe they’ll stop hanging on your every word when they realise you’re only telling them what they want to hear.

:rolleyes:

Love it!

by 100% not in the know, I refer to I’m not a man in power. However I ask the people making the choices, or I go to my aslef meeting, instead of listening to bothy ****e.

I can 100% assure you, the training school is set up and ready to go, it may no open up just yet till the backlog is cleared, however it is ready to go.

“Trainees back 28th” I’m spot on thank you, some will be tested this week read to start on Monday.

I said I know nothing about the west and care little about it, however! I understand there appetite is not great. Some depots were struggling from the start, Airdrie has more trainees than DIs. Not every depot will have 100% take up.

I’m not painting a rosey picture, I’m not painting a dull one, just a honest one.

Most Edinburgh DIs have agreed apart from 2. however edinburgh has a large amount of new DIs ready to be trained when they can. Bathgate all have agreed, dundee and Aberdeen DIs worked through the pandemic.

I joined as people were showing me rubbish from this chat. You have people saying it will all be perfect, then people like you who act like nothings going to move.

I’m giving an honest picture with the correct info, simple.

Ive only posted about what’s happening at the north Clyde depots, there are very few DIs that have agreed to take trainees and that includes Bathgate, so whoever told you they’ve all agreed are telling porkies.

At no point have I said trainees wouldn’t be back, I said it would take longer, primarily because most DIs (north Clyde) are uncomfortable with it.

You’ve given a definitive date and led people to believe that there are no issues with regards to willingness to return to two in a cab. They now all think I’m here just to wind them up :rolleyes: ffs, theres people that don’t even work for scotrail accusing me of upsetting them and their friends just because they don’t want to hear anything that isn’t sugar coated.

Last edited:

hiall

My stance was softening for the trainees return even with the increased rates of infection we are seeing but the attitude of driver1122 has made me think again.

Gentle reminder this is the guy who said trainees are "stealing a wage".

In principle, no confirmed dates.

I know of at least 2 depots where every DI has declined to take trainees at this time.

Why don’t you just name the Depots then ? If you know of at least 2 then it can’t be a secret.

kickin aff

They started covid testing today at Edinburgh. This will continue next week at both Glasgow and Perth by the end of the week.

It will be a slow process getting everyone back, due to lack of DI's and the trainees closer to being passed out, rightly starting first.

Its certainly a step in the right direction.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that our forum rules require posts to be respectful (among other things!)

A link to the rules can be found at the bottom of every page

If anyone sees any content that causes concern, do not reply to it, quote it, react to it or republish it in any way. Instead click the report button and let us know the details of your concern in your report.

Thank you :)

ES21

Regular testing will only prevent a larger outbreak though? If either the trainee or the DI test positive, it is likely too late for the other... and their household. You are effectively creating an extended household and have to consider that you are increasing your chain of contacts through the other's household members and everyone they are in contact with. You are exposed to more than the other person in the cab, and exposing your household to the same. I am not sure that regular testing would be enough give me reassurance about my own safety, or that of my household.

John Bishop

Regular testing will only prevent a larger outbreak though? If either the trainee or the DI test positive, it is likely too late for the other... and their household. You are effectively creating an extended household and have to consider that you are increasing your chain of contacts through the other's household members and everyone they are in contact with. You are exposed to more than the other person in the cab, and exposing your household to the same. I am not sure that regular testing would be enough give me reassurance about my own safety, or that of my household.

I take your point ES21, however, perhaps we need to look at the bigger picture in all of this in terms of the likelihood of contracting the virus. Yes, the stats are on the rise, but a bit of perspective is needed to actually appreciate the ACTUAL risk to individuals. For example, population of Greater Glasgow is 1.2 million and today, 255 people tested positive in that area, most of them students. The population of Scotland is 5.5 million and out of that, 26,500 people have tested positive so far since the pandemic started. Out of those 26,500 cases, 23,990 have made a full recovery.

So even in the slim chance of DI or trainee contracted Covid, statistically they are likely to make a full recovery.

The procedure is not 100% bulletproof, however, with the enhanced weekly testing, daily temperature checks PPE, enhanced sanitation etc, all in place, this reduces the small risk even further, not zero, but extremely small, to the stage that driving to work is statistically more of a risk to the individuals.

I wonder how many Drivers in Scotrail have caught the virus so far?