• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Semley railway station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signalmantony

Hello, I have just bought a railway clock which spent it's working life at Semley station. It was a double dial clock, now a single dial. Would anyone have any information regarding Semley station, pictures etc. And any information of how the clock would have been in situ, i e.IMG_2361-2.jpg would the clock been on the platform, with the second dial in the booking office?.
Many thanks.
retired Signalman Tony

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Semley was on the LSWR line from Salisbury to Exeter and closed in 1966. Not yet covered by the 'Disused Stations' website, so regret I can't give you any further information.

Bedpan

Established Member
You can see the station on Google Earth at 51 degrees 02 mins 24.5 secs N, 2 degrees 10 mins 52.72 secs W. There is a good view of the outside from Street View as the road runs right past the entrance. To the east of the main station building is what I think was the signal box. It was a fairly modern structure and now has what look like solar panels on the roof, and to the east of that is the goods shed of which Google Earth gives quite a good view. I would happily upload some Google Earth pictures but I don't know if I'm allowed to to that or whether it's a breach of copyright.

But what is a double dial clock? It it one with two faces and sets of hands, one either side, so that if it is hung out from a wall, or from say a platform awning, so can see the time whichever side of it you are?

John Webb

Established Member
You can see the station on Google Earth at 51 degrees 02 mins 24.5 secs N, 2 degrees 10 mins 52.72 secs W....... I would happily upload some Google Earth pictures but I don't know if I'm allowed to to that or whether it's a breach of copyright.........
I think you can post at least the links to either Streetview or Google Earth. But it's some time since I used those sites and can't recall what they allow or not.

Signalmantony

Good morning, you two have been very kind in giving me this information. I was the signalman at pinhoe box for many years ,until it was pulled down for the panel box at Exeter to take over. I guess if I could find a website that take in semley over the years, I may be lucky enough to find someone that has pictures of the old station with the clock. I know I'm clutching at straws, but you never know.
Kind regards
Signalman Tony

John Webb

Established Member
The remaining station building is not listed. A search of the county archives for Wiltshire, or a look for a local history society in the area may provide further information. Check Middleton Press to see if they have done one of their books on that line, perhaps?

Thinking about the clock itself, it was probably used indoors - doesn't look waterproof enough for use outside, even under a canopy.

Veteran Member
You could try joining and posting on https://groups.io/g/SREmG.
There might also be a local history group in or near Shaftesbury.
The station building still exists and looks (from Street View) to be in private hands, and still painted BR green and cream, so the owners might have some info.

Last edited:
There is a very extensive write up of Semley station in the book 'Main Line to the West - Part Two - Salisbury to Yeovil' published by Irwell Press in 2007 ISBN 1-903266-58-0 which you may be able to get second-hand. There is no shot of the clock unfortunately, but it does give a very full account of the Station Masters and staff, signalling, passenger traffic, milk and freight traffic, coach service to Shaftesbury etc. All the stations on the line are similarly treated so it is a very interesting read.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve found a few pictures online of the station when still in use (it looked remarkably well preserved even into the early 1980s actually), can’t find anything with a picture of the clock though.
As John Webb says, maybe it was placed in the booking hall above the ticket window?

Signalmantony

You can see the station on Google Earth at 51 degrees 02 mins 24.5 secs N, 2 degrees 10 mins 52.72 secs W. There is a good view of the outside from Street View as the road runs right past the entrance. To the east of the main station building is what I think was the signal box. It was a fairly modern structure and now has what look like solar panels on the roof, and to the east of that is the goods shed of which Google Earth gives quite a good view. I would happily upload some Google Earth pictures but I don't know if I'm allowed to to that or whether it's a breach of copyright.

But what is a double dial clock? It it one with two faces and sets of hands, one either side, so that if it is hung out from a wall, or from say a platform awning, so can see the time whichever side of it you are?
Many thanks

Bedpan

Established Member
I've been looking around the internet and there are three railway properties, Old Station House, Railway House, and the Signal Box but none of these are showing as having been sold n the last 20 odd years other than the Signal Box which changed hands in 1999. I was hoping that there might be some internal photos of the booking office if there had been any estate agents sales brochures for the property. I suppose that you could always write to teh current owners to see if they have any photos, but I'm not certain whether it would be the Old Station House or Railway House - maybe the station buildings were converted into two seli detached homes.

Signalmantony

I've been looking around the internet and there are three railway properties, Old Station House, Railway House, and the Signal Box but none of these are showing as having been sold n the last 20 odd years other than the Signal Box which changed hands in 1999. I was hoping that there might be some internal photos of the booking office if there had been any estate agents sales brochures for the property. I suppose that you could always write to teh current owners to see if they have any photos, but I'm not certain whether it would be the Old Station House or Railway House - maybe the station buildings were converted into two seli detached homes.
Many thanks happy Christmas

Signalmantony

There is a very extensive write up of Semley station in the book 'Main Line to the West - Part Two - Salisbury to Yeovil' published by Irwell Press in 2007 ISBN 1-903266-58-0 which you may be able to get second-hand. There is no shot of the clock unfortunately, but it does give a very full account of the Station Masters and staff, signalling, passenger traffic, milk and freight traffic, coach service to Shaftesbury etc. All the stations on the line are similarly treated so it is a very interesting read.

Signalmantony

Veteran Member
- maybe the station buildings were converted into two seli detached homes.
Looking on Streetview again, that is the case, the old station house and the single storey station offices. Signal Box is the old box (or rather the relatively modern one!), extended. A 2-sided clock presumably belonged in the office part.

Bedpan

Established Member
Shame. Let us know if you find one, I'd be interested to see it having read your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.