• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunter at South west trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart-h

Does any one in railway world know what MB2 Shunter is like?

Ie any tests and interviews??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
Is that the shunter role at clapham?

But yes, assessments and interview. I went through the process a little while ago and was offered the role

Stuart-h

Think thats at Bournmouth depot.

Can i pick your brains a little carriageline?
Whats the assessments and interview's like? Are they at the same sort of leval as a driver grade at all?

carriageline

Established Member
Not the same at all mate. The assessments are okay. They will send you a practice booklet, and they are near enough exactly the same as in there!

Assessments were mainly simple maths, simple English skills, and some fault finding/number searching (hard to explain you will see what I mean!)
You also do a comms test, where they give you a passage of info, and you must relay the critical information (not too bad, I got 100% on it first time! So relatively easy), the interview was more technical than I expected it to be (asked questions such as what would you do if a conpot was 'fizzing'), but I don't think they are essential for external candidates.

They did ask me questions such as what routes/stock do they use though.

Stuart-h

Cheers for that! Give me something to worrie about if i make it through the first screening!

Mike11

It's an amazing job but can also be very dangerous. My father is a shunter at the depot and it's something I wanna do but I've only been at SWT for 3 months and I can't go for it until I've done 6 months service. Good luck mate I hope it all works out and I'll hopefully see you there 1 day!!

Stuart-h

Cheers Mike. Im fairly easy to spot. Just look for someone looking totally lost & walking backwards! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.