• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signals on disused lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Why are signals on disused lines kept operational?

For example, the long since used, rusted, weed and tree overgrown line behind the old platform 1 at the old Rotherham Masborough station has a working colour light signal glowing away? So many reasons to ask why!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Why are signals on disused lines kept operational?

For example, the long since used, rusted, weed and tree overgrown line behind the old platform 1 at the old Rotherham Masborough station has a working colour light signal glowing away? So many reasons to ask why!!!!

often because it costs a massive amount of money to disconnect and remove the signal and then change all of the circuits back to the signal box

Crossover

Established Member
As DarloRich says, it is to do with the costs and complexities of redoing the interlocking. What also isn't unusual is having signals left where there is no track at all

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Crossover:1222675 said:
As DarloRich says, it is to do with the costs and complexities of redoing the interlocking. What also isn't unusual is having signals left where there is no track at all

Really?! Bizarre! Can see why though. Cheers.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I presume there will only be two occasions when a Colour Signal is removed:-

Closure of a Signal Box whereby necessary modifications take place to bypass any signals removed
Remodelling of an area covered by a Signal Box

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
I was once involved in a project that recovered a massive amount of redundant trackwork, some of which had rails already missing. The missing rails caused the track circuit indicators on the signal box panel to come on, so some years before all the offending bulbs had been removed. As part of our stageworks, this panel was altered by adding paper overlays (on the front) and moving bulbs about (from the back). Because bulbs that should have been present were missing, the tester insisted on their replacement.

Result? Burning paper and the evacuation of the signal box.

I won't go into the length of running rail that had to retained (in the cess, for a week) as it was easier to leave the bonds on it ...

mr_moo

On that note, I understand the above, but the issue that I have wondered about it why not just take the bulb (in the signal head) out?

Normally, this would cause the interlocking to register a fault, and this would hold the signal in rear at red. As the signal in rear will also be on disused track, if it exists at all, this should not matter. Thus, why leave it connected and glowing? Is it just to show that its still connected so it doesn't get forgotten about when the signal modifications are finally one to properly remove it?

aylesbury

On the way into Manchester Victoria there is a fully operational signal gaurding the exit from a lifted loop .

Crossover

Established Member
On that note, I understand the above, but the issue that I have wondered about it why not just take the bulb (in the signal head) out?

Normally, this would cause the interlocking to register a fault, and this would hold the signal in rear at red. As the signal in rear will also be on disused track, if it exists at all, this should not matter. Thus, why leave it connected and glowing? Is it just to show that its still connected so it doesn't get forgotten about when the signal modifications are finally one to properly remove it?

Probably because not only would it hold the signal in rear at red, but it would also invariably hold the junction it protects (as they are likely to be at junctions) at danger as well, as so far as the system knows, a train could, unannounced, appear on the lifted line and pass the signal at danger

David Goddard

Established Member
The old goods loops at Reading (now the site of new platforms 12&13) were removed a few years ago, but the signal at the London end was left behind. Should have a photo somewhere.

MarkyT

Established Member
I spotted this in Weymouth last year, nice to know why it's there!

That would be the vestigial remains of the Weymouth Quay line. Signal DR196 is clearly of no practical use for operations, but I believe there have been proposals to move the signal closer to the junction to enable the branch as far as the crossing to become an additional siding with the addition of a buffer stop and a trap point at the junction end. That would be a fairly minor project but of course not costless and there may be regulatory issues over the status of the line beyond that could complicate any proposed changes. In the meantime the least cost option is to leave the signal in situ.

PFX

I spotted this in Weymouth last year, nice to know why it's there!

There's some great video footage of a railtour using the line (Weymouth Tramway) on pootube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6XEVvVRB_4&feature=related Not sure if it's the same video I watched before (blocked here) but I recall a group of railway workers having to walk ahead of the train and 'bump' cars out of the way.

The Google Street view must only be a month or so old, the fuel price at the Esso garage on Queen St is only £1.01/l.

Anyway, I digress. I recall passing a former goods yard in the 90s disconnected from the Fife Circle (probably at Redford though I may be wrong) and there were a number of ground signals and standard starters all working.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
When it's not done properly, you can still get failures. For example last year we had a 'points' failure on a set of points on the Up Electric at Mile End that had been taken out years previously. In the morning peak. Cue an interesting meeting with National Express (no tea, no biscuits).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You also need to consider if the SA says the line is still open - if it does then, theoretically, a train could run at any time. If the line is "mothballed" the signals will normally stay in place for this reason

Status
Not open for further replies.