• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slab Track in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBD1

Is it at all obvious when you pass it?

No, not really. Don't think anybody passing would be aware of what it is
Just a 2 metre high wall, with a steel louver cover over the top with access hatch. No specific ID.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
No, not really. Don't think anybody passing would be aware of what it is
Just a 2 metre high wall, with a steel louver cover over the top with access hatch. No specific ID.

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but as I was up that way yesterday, I went and had a look. Would it be this?

Attachments

• P1130128.JPG
    P1130128.JPG
    481.6 KB · Views: 53
  • P1130129.JPG
    P1130129.JPG
    427.3 KB · Views: 43

boing_uk

While it *can* be difficult to adjust the level of concrete slabs after they have been installed, we have used polyurethane foam injection to adjust slab levels where the subformation has been subject to movement.

From what I understand, the level can be controlled fairly accurately nowadays. ISTR it was used in a depot rehabilitation somewhere as well?

KBD1

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but as I was up that way yesterday, I went and had a look. Would it be this?

Yep. I think so anyway. Nothing else shows up in Google maps.
It has certainly been rebuilt since i was last down the shaft.

Trog

Established Member
Where it is critical to reduce noise and vibration, such as in Urban areas, the concrete slab can be supported upon soft resilient bearings. This configuration is called "floating slab track" but is expensive and requires more depth or height. The benefit is that it can reduce noise and vibration by a significant amount.

Alternatively, the rail can be supported along its length by an elastic material; when combined with a smaller rail section, this can provide a significant noise reduction over traditional ballasted track, however this is not suitable for high speed or heavy haul lines where the trend is now to move to even larger rail size.

You can also use Pandrol Vanguard baseplates where normal CEN60 or 113A rail is used and is suspended from arms mounted on the baseplate that locate into the rail web supporting the rail via the fishing surface under the rail head.

sodor-engineer

The majority of the new East London Line is track slab, using the Sonneville Boot LVT system. There is a short section between Haggerston Station and the Kingsland Road Bridge that is conventional ballast.

Status
Not open for further replies.