• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southampton Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Established Member
I don't know whether it was as a result of the earlier disruptions caused by the car at Brockenhurst, but lunchtime today we saw a XC Voyager in Platform 1 at Southampton with headlights on suggesting I thought a thr time that it was headed for Bournemouth. Later I queried if it could have been a Southampton terminator and headed for the Down Goods Loop (as the Up Goods Loop had a 450 stabled on it) or was reversing in the platform.

This made me think whether, outside of engineering works, is there scheduled in-service use of of all the four numbered platforms (not the ECS only West side bay that would be P5), in both the Up and Down directions? I have yet to travel on a Down train from P1, but I have seen XC trains go that way (Down) when running via the Test Valley line to the Laverstock Loop, albeit when the line through the tunnel was blocked. I think I have been on a train from all other platforms in both directions though it has taken many years! :oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
I once saw a late running FGW Cardiff service leave from P1. This was oddly formed of a 150-158 with another 158 from Portsmouth joining on the back (to make a 7 car). Think there were a few problems earlier in the day at Bristol.

That is the only service i have seen leave from P1 the "wrong way".
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is an 11.15 ish service from Southampton to up North which comes in from up north at about 10.50 ish, normally into P3 and then shunts to the Up loop and comes back into P1 at 11.10 to form the 11.15. It may have been delayed (I did see a few XC services were delayed on the screens) and went straight into P1 as there were a few Desiros blocking the other platforms.

I had left on the 1133 Brighton train but wasnt in the station for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.