• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spirit Of Scotland - Glasgow Subway, Edinburgh Trams

MikeWM

Established Member
Scotrail's website (at https://www.scotrail.co.uk/tickets/combined-tickets-travel-passes/spirit-of-scotland) says that the Spirit of Scotland rover can be used on the Glasgow Subway and Edinburgh Trams. On railrover.org it says for the Central Scotland rover:

The ticket is also valid on the Glasgow Underground, just present your Central Scotland Rover ticket and you will be issued with a valid ticket for the underground.

Is that the case for the Spirit of Scotland too (the entry for which on railrover.org doesn't have text saying to do that - it only appears for the Central Scotland)? And/or do you need to do something similar on the Edinburgh trams? Or does one just show the rover on demand as you normally do on trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buzby

Yes it is - they say:
Your Spirit of Scotland travel pass includes:

• Train travel in Scotland – and journeys to and from Carlisle and Berwick-upon-Tweed with ScotRail, Avanti West Coast, CrossCountry, LNER, and First TransPennine Express. On some lines you won't be able to travel at peak times
  • 20% off ferry travel to Orkney and Shetland – on Northlink Ferries including Scrabster – Stromness, Aberdeen – Lerwick and Aberdeen – Kirkwall – Lerwick
  • 20% off ferry travel to Northern Ireland* – on Stena Line journeys to Belfast
  • Coach travel – on selected routes including Argyll, Skye, the Borders and Northern Highlands, with Scottish Citylink*, Stagecoach and West Coast Motors
  • Subway and tram travel – on the Glasgow Subway and Edinburgh Trams
As ScotRail ended peak fares until June ‘24 you can travel on their Peak time services.

kkong

Scotrail's website (at https://www.scotrail.co.uk/tickets/combined-tickets-travel-passes/spirit-of-scotland) says that the Spirit of Scotland rover can be used on the Glasgow Subway and Edinburgh Trams. On railrover.org it says for the Central Scotland rover:

Is that the case for the Spirit of Scotland too (the entry for which on railrover.org doesn't have text saying to do that - it only appears for the Central Scotland)? And/or do you need to do something similar on the Edinburgh trams? Or does one just show the rover on demand as you normally do on trains?

For the Subway, go to any Subway ticket office, present your Rover and ask for a Subway ticket.
They should issue you with a free paper day travelcard and rubber stamp the Rover (to stop you asking for another free Subway ticket the same day).

I've never used a Rover on Edinburgh Trams, so I'm not sure on that.
However, I would expect just showing the Rover to the on-board inspector would be enough.
That's how it works for the Ember bus tickets which include tram travel between Edinburgh Airport and Ingliston P&R.

MikeWM

Established Member
  • Subway and tram travel – on the Glasgow Subway and Edinburgh Trams
As ScotRail ended peak fares until June ‘24 you can travel on their Peak time services.

But note lower on the page under 'FAQs' it doesn't mention the trams. The linked PDF map does though, so I guess I'm on fairly safe ground giving them a go :)

--

For the Subway, go to any Subway ticket office, present your Rover and ask for a Subway ticket.
They should issue you with a free paper day travelcard and rubber stamp the Rover (to stop you asking for another free Subway ticket the same day).

I've never used a Rover on Edinburgh Trams, so I'm not sure on that.
However, I would expect just showing the Rover to the on-board inspector would be enough.
That's how it works for the Ember bus tickets which include tram travel between Edinburgh Airport and Ingliston P&R.

Makes sense, thanks. Never done the Glasgow Subway until now for some reason, so will be great to give it a whirl.

MikeWM

Established Member
For completeness, having now just done this:

- I asked for a Glasgow subway day ticket at the ticket office at St Enoch and, after a brief look at the rover, was issued one without further discussion. (The rover wasn't stamped).

- I just got on the tram in Edinburgh. The inspector looked at it closely and thought about it for a while, but then just said thanks and moved on.

(I note railrover.org has updated the Spirit of Scotland page with the same info now. Thanks 8-) and thanks for the excellent resource).

Rover

(I note railrover.org has updated the Spirit of Scotland page with the same info now. Thanks 8-) and thanks for the excellent resource).
My apologies, Edinburgh trams being placed on the Central Scotland Rover page was in error, it is only "officially" valid on the Spirit of Scotland.