• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff Travel - Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarieDon

Hello

Me and my partner both have staff travel cards (priv pass) non safeguarded (standard class).

I just wanted to check when booking the Caledonian Sleeper, the classic twin berth room booking also includes your journey fare? I am sorry if it seems like a daft question it’s just that I was quoted £78 to go from Euston to Fort William (total price) and when I mentioned it to my colleague they said that’s probably just the room rate and I need the journey on top. I’ve been to two booking offices but to be honest they didn’t fill me with great confidence that they knew what they were doing.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
I’ve been to two booking offices but to be honest they didn’t fill me with great confidence that they knew what they were doing.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that. That's a pain when options for buying these tickets are so limited and it isn't the first time such difficulties have been highlighted.

I can confirm it is a straightforwad, self explanatory process to check availability and issue those tickets. If you really are struggling to find somewhere with staff who can do it, the next time I'm on shift I could possibly help by ringing the office you wish to buy it from. Provided they are required to sell tickets requiring reservations, as sleeper tickets do, I might be able to talk them through the process.

It's not a problem exclusive to the railways - I've self trained on bits of various supermarket and high street retailer systems which have useful, if rarely used functions that are of use to me, but the staffers know nothing about. But unlike the railways, those places usually have someone they can call for help if they're unsure.

Last edited:

MarieDon

Sorry to hear that. That's a pain when options for buying these tickets are so limited and it isn't the first time such difficulties have been highlighted.

I can confirm it is a straightforwad, self explanatory process to check availability and issue those tickets. If you really are struggling to find somewhere with staff who can do it, the next time I'm on shift I could possibly help by ringing the office you wish to buy it from. Provided they are required to sell tickets requiring reservations, as sleeper tickets do, I might be able to talk them through the process.

It's not a problem exclusive to the railways - I've self trained on bits of various supermarket and high street retailer systems which have useful, if rarely used functions that are of use to me, but the staffers know nothing about. But unlike the railways, those places usually have someone they can call for help if they're unsure.

Thank you for your help

I booked it today after 3 members of staff at a booking office persevered! I can relax now!

RJ

Established Member
Thank you for your help

I booked it today after 3 members of staff at a booking office persevered! I can relax now!

Glad you got it sorted :)

It's good that the issue with getting hold of sleeper tickets has been highlighted, because it's likely others have faced the same problem.

There are quite a few agency ticket office workers out there. They're quite possibly an underutilised asset in the industry, because they will have the knowledge of multiple ticket issuing systems and may even have a greater understanding of the functionality of each than someone who only ever uses one TIS to do basic things. The powers that be could do worse than to approach the agencies and work with them to get a guide on how to issue tickets with reservations put together for those who can't do it.

Somebody wanting something as basic as a point to point ticket with a reservation shouldn't have to go through 5 staff at 3 different ticket offices before finding one who can manage to work it out!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve been to two booking offices but to be honest they didn’t fill me with great confidence that they knew what they were doing.

This is what PRIV holders wanting sleeper tickets will have to put up with due to the withdrawal of the online booking facility.

LordCreed

When was the online feature removed? Certainly haven't seen any news articles on the RDG website to the best of my knowledge.

LordCreed

Thanks for the link. Disappointing that it's been withdrawn as opposed to tightening up on the misuse from those that don't hold travel facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.