• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam Age Depots That Made It Into The 1970s

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone,

Hopefully the title needs no further explanation. I'll kick things off with Westhouses in Derbyshire which was just north of Alfreton on the Erewash line. By the time I first visited in 1978 the old steam shed was missing its roof although there was some rudimentary shelter for those carrying out simple maintenance / refueling. As young teenage spotters we were always made welcome at weekends with ten to twenty class 20s on shed.

Any other suggestions?

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There was Workington shed that ended up being dismantled for further use at the Great Central potentially.

Harbornite

Established Member
Barrow Hill, which stayed open until 1991 but is obviously back in use.

steamybrian

Established Member
Ashford (Kent)- preservation centre until the late 1970s
Faversham
Redhill (demolished in the 1970s)

Andy873

Yes, Rose Grove (Burnley) was still around somewhere between 72 & 73, I have seen photos of it in the early 70's. It was in a sorry state, and I remember going past it once on a train, when my grandfather pointed it out and told me that was where they kept the steam engines.

Most of it is now buried under the M65 mortorway

steamybrian

Established Member
Swanage...The small loco shed for one loco which was subsequently restored by the Swanage Railway Society.
Should the other restored sheds be listed-
Carnforth
Didcot
Aberystwyth,(restored for VoR in 1968)
Aviemore

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Weren't Neville Hill and Slade Green originally steam sheds. Infact, that must be the case for a lot of existing depots.

shredder1

Established Member
You might be as well listing the ones that didnt survive into the 70`s :lol: In many cases they filled them with diesels, if not in use then withdrawn ones, saw a load of BTH locos in Cambridge former steam depot just dumped in the 70`s, Ardrossen was the same only full of Claytons, hes a full list with dates,

http://abrail.co.uk/good_shed_guide.htm

AM9

Veteran Member
You might be as well listing the ones that didnt survive into the 70`s :lol: In many cases they filled them with diesels, if not in use then withdrawn ones, saw a load of BTH locos in Cambridge former steam depot just dumped in the 70`s, Ardrossen was the same only full of Claytons, hes a full list with dates,

http://abrail.co.uk/good_shed_guide.htm

Yes, I was surprised at the question, I was going to say Stratford (30A), one of the larger ones in the UK. Surely most of the larger ones did survive until the real rationalisation of the '80s came. It was the little outposts that went first as diesels didn't need that much nurturing and could usually get through the day's diagram without refuelling/other servicing actions.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Yes, I was surprised at the question, I was going to say Stratford (30A), one of the larger ones in the UK. Surely most of the larger ones did survive until the real rationalisation of the '80s came. It was the little outposts that went first as diesels didn't need that much nurturing and could usually get through the day's diagram without refuelling/other servicing actions.

I concur that many depots survived but I'm looking for facilities that retained some or all of their original buildings. So in other words Old Oak Common qualifies but Cricklewood doesn't. Apologies if I didn't make this clear ☺

Clarence Yard

Established Member
If we are talking original main sheds, on ER (or former ER) Hornsey, Doncaster, Hammerton Street, Colwick and Norwich were all used for traction maintenance in the 1970's.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Sutton Oak survived until 2000, with the inside being converted to a supermarket.

Warrington Dallam - I think that still survives in industrial use, but with new cladding panels covering the original structure.

Harbornite

Established Member
Other examples include Pwllheli (one of the last, if not the last built/rebuilt steam MPDs for the Western Region) and Cheltenham Spa Malvern road, which has recently been demolished.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Inverness? It has been a while since I was through that way, but as far as I'm aware the old shed is still in place. I'm not sure if it sees any use these days, though.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Other examples include Pwllheli (one of the last, if not the last built/rebuilt steam MPDs for the Western Region) and Cheltenham Spa Malvern road, which has recently been demolished.

One example in your neck of the woods would be Bescot where at least one shed building dated back to the steam age. From what I can remember it was only demolished a year or two a go.

Poolie

While the buildings didn't survive, the land and footprint of West Hartlepool (51C) is still visible on the down side, although overgrown. The concrete radial roads of the roundhouse are still in place and can clearly be seen from the train.

Harbornite

Established Member
One example in your neck of the woods would be Bescot where at least one shed building dated back to the steam age. From what I can remember it was only demolished a year or two a go.

One I forgot about. It was demolished in december 2013, unfortunately I never got a pic of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.