• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockport to Liverpool Season Ticket Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malshome

Hi,

First time post on this forum and hoping some one can help.

I have a very good (dyslexic but no concession) friend who has won a very good job as a sculptor in Liverpool and wants to travel there daily from Stockport into Lime Street.

Having looked at the National Rail website, the monthly fare is £253.50. Is there any possible way of reducing this by some means (2 tickets)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any help would be greatly recieved please.
Mal

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nedchester

Established Member
Capenhurst to Manchester is £228.90 (valid via Chester for the Stockport to Manchester bit and Liverpool for the Manchester to Liverpool bit)

tony_mac

Established Member
as Hooton is not an appropriate routeing point, I can't see how that would be valid via Liverpool.

First class

Established Member
as Hooton is not an appropriate routeing point, I can't see how that would be valid via Liverpool.

Capenhurst-Manchester is not valid via Liverpool.

A Formby-Stockport season is £250 so saves £4.
Valid via Liverpool.

Another option is

Liverpool-Mrail C1/Area A £71.60
Newton-le-Willows-Stockport Season £167 (although for extra distance you can buy to Middlewood/Bramhall/Cheadle Hulme for same price)

Total: £238.60, but restricts you to Manchester via Newton-le-Willows route.

Last edited:

nedchester

Established Member
Capenhurst-Manchester is not valid via Liverpool.

A Formby-Stockport season is £250 so saves £4.
Valid via Liverpool.

Another option is

Liverpool-Mrail C1/Area A £71.60
Newton-le-Willows-Stockport Season £167 (although for extra distance you can buy to Middlewood/Bramhall/Cheadle Hulme for same price)

Total: £238.60, but restricts you to Manchester via Newton-le-Willows route.

Capenhurst to Manchester IS valid via Liverpool using the 3 mile shortest distance rule! You have to go via Newton le Willows on a Northern airport service to comply though.

First class

Established Member
Capenhurst-Stockport via Altrincham is 45 miles (shortest route)

Code:
Distance: [B]44mi 24ch [/B] 
Route: Capenhurst, Bache, Chester North Junction, Chester West Junction, Chester, Chester East Junction, Mickle Trafford, Mouldsworth Junction, Mouldsworth, Delamere, Cuddington, Hartford CLC Junction, Greenbank, Hartford East Junction, Northwich West Junction, Northwich, Northwich East Junction, Lostock Gralam, Plumley, Knutsford, Mobberley, Ashley, Hale, Altrincham, Navigation Road, Deansgate Junction, Skelton Junction (Manchester), Northenden Junction, Stockport Edgeley Junction No 2, Stockport

Capenhurst-Liverpool L St is 13 miles
Liverpool-Stockport via Newton le Willows is 38 miles

TOTAL 51 miles (6 miles longer than the shortest route)

--- so NOT valid that way.

Code:
Distance: [B]12mi 11ch[/B] 
Route: Capenhurst, Hooton, Eastham Rake, Bromborough, Bromborough Rake, Spital, Port Sunlight, Bebington, Rock Ferry, Green Lane, Birkenhead Central, Birkenhead Hamilton Square, Mann Island Junction, Liverpool James Street, Moorfields, Liverpool Lime Street (Low Level)

Distance: [B]37mi 69ch[/B] 
Route: Liverpool Lime Street (High Level), Edge Hill, Bootle Branch Junction, Wavertree Technology Park, Olive Mount Junction, Broad Green, Roby, Huyton, Whiston, Rainhill, Lea Green, St Helens Junction, Earlestown West Junction, Earlestown, Earlestown East Junction, Newton-le-Willows, Parkside Junction, Astley, Patricroft, Eccles, Ordsall Lane Junction, Castlefield Junction, Deansgate, Manchester Oxford Road, Manchester Piccadilly, Ardwick Junction, Longsight South, Slade Lane Junction, Levenshulme, Heaton Chapel, Heaton Norris Junction, Stockport

The route via Warrington is even longer so won't even consult for that one. I did use RailMiles for that query, but is usually spot on.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Mileages for the shortest routes ALWAYS use the tables of the National Rail timetable, those are the figures you need to quote.

nedchester

Established Member
Mileages for the shortest routes ALWAYS use the tables of the National Rail timetable, those are the figures you need to quote.

Capenhurst to Liverpool = 12.5
Liverpool to Manchester Piccadilly (via Newton le Willows) = 32.5
Total = 45

Capenhurst to Chester = 5.25
Chester to Manchester = 40.25

Total = 45.5

Capenhurst to Liverpool = 12.5
Liverpool to Manchester Piccadilly (via Warrington C) = 35

Total = 47.5

In fact all are valid under the 3 mile rule and via Liverpool is in fact the shortest route via Newton Le Willows)

I used Capenhurst to Manchester because you could go via Stockport as part of the Manchester route from Chester.

You can therefore go Capenhurst to Manchester via Liverpool and then use the ticket to Stockport saying you are using the return bit to Chester (via Altrincham or Crewe which is also valid.

Last edited:

First class

Established Member
I've overlooked the other reasons for validity, so I agree valid via Liverpool for the time being.

But Crewe?

Capenhurst-Chester is 5.25 miles
Chester-Crewe is 21 miles
Crewe-Stockport is 25 miles

51.25 miles via Crewe

Is it a mapped route?

Last edited:

nedchester

Established Member
I've overlooked the other reasons for validity, so I agree valid via Liverpool for the time being.

But Crewe?

Capenhurst-Chester is 5.25 miles
Chester-Crewe is 21 miles
Crewe-Stockport is 25 miles

51.25 miles via Crewe

Is it a mapped route?

Crewe is a valid route for Chester to Manchester according to the maps but not got access to them at the moment as I am on the (Merseyrail) train going to work!

Malshome

Could a TfGM pass and a Merseytravel pass be used? The direct EMT train from Stockport to Lime Street crosses through the top corner of Cheshire i.e. outside the TfGM / MT designated area/s. Would this matter? as the route further North would allow this approach.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The Merseyrail passes go as far as Chester, Ellesmere Port, Hough Green and Newton-le-Willows, the GMPTE passes go as far as Bramhall, Manchester Airport, Hale, Glazebrook and Patricroft. Tickets needs to be valid for the entire journey and none of these routes are fully covered by only those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.