• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stopper allowed out first

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
On Saturday, the 1133 Derby to Matlock was held for 7 mins to allow the late running St Pancras to Sheffield to run ahead at 1138, 10 mins behind schedule. This made a lot of sense, reducing delays to the Sheffield train, and allowing passengers from the south to connect on to the Matlock working. It helps of course that both trains were run by the same operator.

I have often criticised EMT in the past for serious overcrowding. But they had a good day on Saturday, wisely putting 4 cars on the 1010 from Crewe with a huge football match at Derby kicking off at 1230. I remember the days when class 153s were not uncommon on the route.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
On Saturday, the 1133 Derby to Matlock was held for 7 mins to allow the late running St Pancras to Sheffield to run ahead at 1138, 10 mins behind schedule. This made a lot of sense, reducing delays to the Sheffield train, and allowing passengers from the south to connect on to the Matlock working. It helps of course that both trains were run by the same operator.
It doesn't always work out like that though, often it can be let go and held in the loop at Breadsall for the Sheffield to overtake.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You run out of platforms very quickly at New St if you do that. As the West Mids is widely electrified, what are you going to interwork with? Hereford?
Has the planning for the Camp Hill services been decided upon yet? I've read enough plan iterations that I don't know what the current state is, but perhaps there is interworking opportunity with Shrewsbury services, either the service via Galton Bridge or via Tame Bridge Parkway.

If I remember correctly (though this is a hazy memory), there used to be interworking between Hereford, Shrewsbury and Rugeley (back before it was electrified and 170+153 combos were common) but it was presumably eliminated to stop delays being exported across (then) London Midland's network.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Has the planning for the Camp Hill services been decided upon yet? I've read enough plan iterations that I don't know what the current state is, but perhaps there is interworking opportunity with Shrewsbury services, either the service via Galton Bridge or via Tame Bridge Parkway.

If I remember correctly (though this is a hazy memory), there used to be interworking between Hereford, Shrewsbury and Rugeley (back before it was electrified and 170+153 combos were common) but it was presumably eliminated to stop delays being exported across (then) London Midland's network.
Still a stand alone service last I heard. Some of the paths already exist as ECS and dont match Shrewsbury paths either, let alone platforms.