• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets discussion

jon0844

Veteran Member
To some of them it is! Some can make a lot of money too.

All week our local FB page has reported a guy approaching people at our local shopping mall asking for around £3.50 to help with his broken down car.

My wife encountered him this afternoon, so he's either still trying to sort his car or has found a lucrative money earner with a high turnover of visitors and plenty of new 'marks'.

It doesn't seem the police or shopping centre security care, just as they didn't when two guys were offering to help people fill up their cars with fuel at Asda and I was told by Asda security to call the police myself as they couldn't do anything.

This guy was hanging around cars day and night and making people feel uncomfortable, looking into car windows and boots, and asking for money (sadly the fuel station itself is card only, but he asked for spare change that the car owner might keep inside). The second guy was standing further away watching and if one got money, it was transferred to the other.

These beggars can be pretty organised!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
All week our local FB page has reported a guy approaching people at our local shopping mall asking for around £3.50 to help with his broken down car.

My wife encountered him this afternoon, so he's either still trying to sort his car or has found a lucrative money earner with a high turnover of visitors and plenty of new 'marks'.

It doesn't seem the police or shopping centre security care, just as they didn't when two guys were offering to help people fill up their cars with fuel at Asda and I was told by Asda security to call the police myself as they couldn't do anything.

This guy was hanging around cars day and night and making people feel uncomfortable, looking into car windows and boots, and asking for money (sadly the fuel station itself is card only, but he asked for spare change that the car owner might keep inside). The second guy was standing further away watching and if one got money, it was transferred to the other.

These beggars can be pretty organised!
Those windscreen washers at traffic lights seems to be en vogue at the moment. Wont last, most people know now not to wind down your window at traffic lights.

Anyway, back on topic, I've been going on about Birds Eye charcoal grills for a while on this thread - last week when I bought some were £1.25 - pre covid prices! Anyway, it's back on form this week and back to £2.50 a pack.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Anyway, back on topic, I've been going on about Birds Eye charcoal grills for a while on this thread - last week when I bought some were £1.25 - pre covid prices! Anyway, it's back on form this week and back to £2.50 a pack.
Can, I think, currently be bought on offer at 4 for £5 at Asda or at 10 for £10 at Iceland. Talking here about the original (2 per pack) Birds Eye chicken chargrill variant.

londonbridge

Established Member
Tesco returning to Sunderland city centre. Last time I was there the old unit inside The Bridges was still empty but the council have approved a planning application and they are opening a new store outside in the Market Square entrance later this year.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
While in Camden Town yesterday, I stumbled across an Aldi Local. I don't ever use Aldi and had no idea they too had jumped on the convenience store bandwagon. And in a way, Aldi Local almost sounds like a contradiction, since one thing I don't associate Aldi with is paying-more-for-convenience! But out of curiosity I went in. Prices seemed good in comparison with Sainsburys and Tesco local stores, and I experimentally bought a doughnut (purely in the interests of scientific study, you understand) - it turned out to be dry-ish and decidedly not worth it.

One thing I did like though: At the self service checkout, when I touched to pay, the machine actually went straight to point of me paying. None of the endless annoying questions you get at other supermarkets (Do you want a bag? Do you want to donate to charity?) that all have to be responded to when all I want to do is wave my card over the reader and take my stuff.

Thirteen

While in Camden Town yesterday, I stumbled across an Aldi Local. I don't ever use Aldi and had no idea they too had jumped on the convenience store bandwagon. And in a way, Aldi Local almost sounds like a contradiction, since one thing I don't associate Aldi with is paying-more-for-convenience! But out of curiosity I went in. Prices seemed good in comparison with Sainsburys and Tesco local stores, and I experimentally bought a doughnut (purely in the interests of scientific study, you understand) - it turned out to be dry-ish and decidedly not worth it.

One thing I did like though: At the self service checkout, when I touched to pay, the machine actually went straight to point of me paying. None of the endless annoying questions you get at other supermarkets (Do you want a bag? Do you want to donate to charity?) that all have to be responded to when all I want to do is wave my card over the reader and take my stuff.
Aldi Local has been a thing for a while, there's one in the O2 Centre on Finchley Road and one in Archway.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The beggars are highly organised - to many of them it is their job.

Pre-covid I'd walk from Kings Cross along the Grays Inn Road to my office. Every day, there was always a beggar outside the Pret on the corner of Grays Inn Road and Clerkenwell Road. He looked unkempt, wore tatty clothes, old trainers with holes in them, used to hold a piece of card saying he was homeless etc. He seemed to do quite well with people giving him money and food.

He seemed to do very well at Christmas, one year first day back after the Christmas holidays he'd got a new tent that he eas sat in and he was proudly wearing a pair of new Nike trainers, I assume someone had bought them for him. His takings mustove suffered because within a couple of days the tent and trainers had gone - he was back to sitting on the pavement with his old trainers and tatty cardboard begging for money.