• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW FLIRT and 197 buisness class rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurcheroo

For mods, if this thread needs moving or splitting then please feel free.

So today, I have been told that there are currently considerations for the Class 231 FLIRT's to make their way North of Cardiff towards shrewbury (exact route north of Shrewsbury unknown).

Secondly I was told that the class 197s that are fitted with business class wine actually have it used as a business class area (so I assume it will be declassified) due to issue with access to a PRM toilet. Once again, another poorly thought out design choice it seems.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
An Internal TFW informant that is heavily involved with crew training.
Maybe tfw considering ordering extra class 756s then for south wales send the 231s up to North Wales for say bangor/Holyhead to Manchester if UK GOVERNMENT do wire it

Energy

Established Member
So today, I have been told that there are currently considerations for the Class 231 FLIRT's to make their way North of Cardiff towards shrewbury (exact route north of Shrewsbury unknown).
Holyhead/Manchester is rather far for the FLIRTs unless North Wales is wired. The FLIRTS don't have the best diesel range and wouldn't suite the 2+2/2+3 car unit operation.
Secondly I was told that the class 197s that are fitted with business class wine actually have it used as a business class area (so I assume it will be declassified) due to issue with access to a PRM toilet. Once again, another poorly thought out design choice it seems.
Correct, there is no disabled first class.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Maybe tfw considering ordering extra class 756s then for south wales send the 231s up to North Wales for say bangor/Holyhead to Manchester if UK GOVERNMENT do wire it
Even if that route gets wired, 231s will still be running in diesel as unlike the GA 755s they don't have the electric bits (which in my eyes is an oversight considering they are meant to be on Cheltenham/Ebbw Vale to Cardiff/Maesteg trains which involves overhead wires. Ie the Cheltenham trains can run on the wires from Cardiff to Severn Tunnel Junction before switching over to diesel)

RobShipway

Established Member
Even if that route gets wired, 231s will still be running in diesel as unlike the GA 755s they don't have the electric bits (which in my eyes is an oversight considering they are meant to be on Cheltenham/Ebbw Vale to Cardiff/Maesteg trains which involves overhead wires. Ie the Cheltenham trains can run on the wires from Cardiff to Severn Tunnel Junction before switching over to diesel)
There maybe not enough power under the wires to be running both class 8xx, other trains and the class 231 if adapted to run under the wires.

You have to remember that not all GWR class 8xx units between Reading to London use the overhead lines, whether being an issue with the Pantographs on the train or there not being enough power for all trains.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
There maybe not enough power under the wires to be running both class 8xx, other trains and the class 231 if adapted to run under the wires.

You have to remember that not all GWR class 8xx units between Reading to London use the overhead lines, whether being an issue with the Pantographs on the train or there not being enough power for all trains.
It's certainly not power - the scheme was designed with much more modern feeding arrangements than schemes with power issues such as the ECML electrification scheme and the Bournemouth to Weymouth 3rd rail extension scheme.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I thought so too. I wonder if they might start using 756s on the Cheltenham Maesteg and move 231s around on some manchester diagrams (that don't start or end there so Manchester drivers don't need to sign them), then 197s on some valley routes. Just castle the sets.

Jez

Established Member
What would be the point in sending 231s onto Manchester services. You would need to train Crewe and Shrewsbury train crew as well as Cardiff Mainline. It seems to me a lot more hassle.than the worth of it. Especially as there is only a fleet of 11.

RailWonderer

Established Member
What would be the point in sending 231s onto Manchester services. You would need to train Crewe and Shrewsbury train crew as well as Cardiff Mainline. It seems to me a lot more hassle.than the worth of it. Especially as there is only a fleet of 11.
If the fleet is stretched in future they may well have to. It's handy to have. At the moment they use 150s, Mk4s, 175s and 197s on the North South so even having 2 types of rolling stock still represents a saving. Not ideal as you say but not impossible either.

Lurcheroo

Yes I would have thought it would be more hassle than it would be worth too but I was also told that they were looking at trying to keep any north crew training on 231's to as few depots as possible. It may not even come fruition anyway. But would be nice for passengers in the North as the FLIRT's are nice units.

Jez

Established Member
Yes I would have thought it would be more hassle than it would be worth too but I was also told that they were looking at trying to keep any north crew training on 231's to as few depots as possible. It may not even come fruition anyway. But would be nice for passengers in the North as the FLIRT's are nice units.
Yes it would be nice if it happened im just very surprised. There wasn't even any talk of them going any further than Bridgend/Maesteg let alone venturing onto.the Marches. Unless its for.the proposed Cardiff to Liverpool via Chester service. Who knows.

Last edited:

Lurcheroo

Unless its for.the proposed Cardiff to Liverpool via Chester service.
That could be a very good shout!
One of the thing I had thought would be cardiff to Manchester but at only 170 seats per 4 car set, that would be significantly less than the 274 seats on a 2+3 (business fitted) standard class seats of a 197, and significantly less than the 258 standard class seats on a 5 coach MK4.
I'm not sure what arrangent they had previously hoped to run the liverpools but if it was a 3 car 197(not business fitted) then you would only be loosing 18 seats (or gaining 12 standard seats if business was fitted).

sd0733

Established Member
The 197 business class declassifying has been said for a long long time as its known about the lack of disabled access to it. It's come from a lot of knowledgeable people. Workarounds were being looked at but not sure what or whether any were plausible. There was a vast bill for moving It though, even before any were built so very unlikely that will happen.

AFAIK there were no plans to send 231s to Manchester but there was talk of getting them cleared to Abergavenny and potentially Hereford for event day additional turnbacks. This is 'towards Shrewsbury' so could possibly be where It originated from. Time will tell but I'd be suprised if anyone other than southern based crews worked 231s any time soon.

Lurcheroo

The 197 business class declassifying has been said for a long long time as its known about the lack of disabled access to it. It's come from a lot of knowledgeable people. Workarounds were being looked at but not sure what or whether any were plausible. There was a vast bill for moving It though, even before any were built so very unlikely that will happen.

AFAIK there were no plans to send 231s to Manchester but there was talk of getting them cleared to Abergavenny and potentially Hereford for event day additional turnbacks. This is 'towards Shrewsbury' so could possibly be where It originated from. Time will tell but I'd be suprised if anyone other than southern based crews worked 231s any time soon.
It's a shame TFW spent the extra money and space on board for the business class and might not get anything back for it. but it will be what it will be at this point.

I had, in my own head, wondered about them just going as far as Hereford but couldn't see that it would fit the timetable anywhere. Certainly might make sense for event days and does fit the 'towards shrewsbury' line.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The 231s are straight diesel. Or are you suggesting electrification of the 231s currenty planned routes (to Cheltenham ?) so more 756s can take over.

It has just occurred to me. Perhaps did your informant mean 231s heading North of Shrewsbury to mean to replace the 230s ?.
Because that lacks a lot of the disadvantages that people allude to !.

EDIT
Was there an option on the 231 order ?.
Maybe an option on the 756 order that could involve more units with more engines - enough for South Wales working. I would say more likely IF the 756s were more settled in like the 231s are.

Last edited:

Jez

Established Member
It would make sense to clear the 231s to Abergavenny and Hereford and also to Swansea as they could cover for 197s in the event of any disruption. Once the Sprinters are gone aside from those kept for the Heart of Wales then there will be little else to deputise for a 197.

Lurcheroo

It has just occurred to me. Perhaps did your informant mean 231s heading North of Shrewsbury to mean to replace the 230s ?.
Because that lacks a lot of the disadvantages that people allude to !.
They said routes weren’t known. Between us we speculated possibly Manchester but absolutely nothing even close to knowing unfortunately, I’ll keep an ear out though.

Bob Price

The order for 231's and 756's were enough to cover the valleys services. The idea of the 197's is to cover the rest of the country (bar HoW and Borderlands). Maintenance, trained staff, not just drivers, station staff and catering facilities would all need to be sorted if they were to work anywhere else. I cannot see any logic to them working away from their planned routes, unless a small batch are procured for the Borderlines. 197's up the Valleys wouldn't keep time against an electric 756, they'd just get in the way.

If you genuinely believe the UK government are actually going to electrify the North Wales coast line then I have a tower in Paris to sell you. Even if they did it would be a decade before anything ran.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
It would make sense to clear the 231s to Abergavenny and Hereford and also to Swansea as they could cover for 197s in the event of any disruption. Once the Sprinters are gone aside from those kept for the Heart of Wales then there will be little else to deputise for a 197.
It is far easier to let 197s cover for 197s. By that I mean take 197s of duties nearer to Cardiff. For instance turning a 197 round at Cardiff to go back North and fill the gap West of Cardiff with a 231.

GWVillager

It is worth noting that the FLIRT is an incredibly modular design, and the 231s could be converted to bi-mode operation with relatively little difficulty.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Could it be 'towards Shrewsbury' but not north of Shrewsbury at all?

AFAIK there were no plans to send 231s to Manchester but there was talk of getting them cleared to Abergavenny and potentially Hereford for event day additional turnbacks.
Getting them cleared for event-day extra services makes sense. Also, didn't some of the early Metro stuff talk about a new station at Caerleon served by local services between Cardiff and Abergavenny? Certainly I must have got the idea that they were considering such from somewhere, as I have certainly argued that these local services should run as far as Hereford (providing a wider range of 1-change journey opportunities thanks to GWR and WMT services at Hereford, and possibly allowing the Manchesters to run non-stop between Newport and Hereford).

The order for 231's and 756's were enough to cover the valleys services. The idea of the 197's is to cover the rest of the country (bar HoW and Borderlands). Maintenance, trained staff, not just drivers, station staff and catering facilities would all need to be sorted if they were to work anywhere else. I cannot see any logic to them working away from their planned routes, unless a small batch are procured for the Borderlines. 197's up the Valleys wouldn't keep time against an electric 756, they'd just get in the way.
What is the performance of a class 331 like compared to a 756? Because putting 197s on the lines you've just spent millions electrifying would make no sense, but if they were EMUs with battery capability (and I think a battery 331 was proposed for Windermere) and the Welsh Government starts to have some spare capital funding as their trunk road programme finally comes to an end around 2025 perhaps they'll be able to deliver more of the South East Wales Metro. The current core valley lines upgrade is only phase 2 of a much bigger vision, future phases could do alot more.

For example; keep the class 158s for the Cambrian and send the ETCS 197s back to Llanwern, convert them to class 331 driving cars (but retaining the gangwayed cabs) and build new PTS (Pantograph Trailer Standard) cars to complete the conversion giving you twenty-one class 331/3 battery EMUs to add to the Metro fleet (the extra mark 4s presumably means slightly fewer of the 3-car 197s need their middle car, so could give that up if you want some 4-car class 331/4s). Depending on which sections are prioritised for wires in the next phase of Metro, either unmodified class 197s or the 'new' (ex-197) class 331s could then be used on Cheltenham/Maesteg/Rhymney/Barry/Swanline services to cascade 197s/231s/756s/398s around to deliver the Metro extensions with minimal fleet expansion. In particular I think 756s should work Merthyr, Treherbert and Aberdare services (particularly given the planned extension of the latter to (and hopefully beyond) Hirwaun), and 398s should work Coryton services.

If you genuinely believe the UK government are actually going to electrify the North Wales coast line then I have a tower in Paris to sell you. Even if they did it would be a decade before anything ran.
This UK Government certainly won't, there's a General Election due in not much more than a year at most. A future UK Government might (and I hope they will) but, unless Network Rail find a way to electrify several miles a night, I cannot see any UK Government providing full electrification between Chester and Holyhead before KeolisAmey's franchise would have ended if it hadn't fallen to the Operator of Last Resort (Oct 2033 if I recall correctly).

If you hadn't mentioned the bit about PRM toilets, I would have thought that could be 'temporarily declassified' since it originally appeared to be the intention to have first class on 197s declassified while units were delivered. Sometime in 2024, once the whole fleet was available, all the relevant units would have switched on-mass to having first class (there is a lease end date for declassifed units and a lease start date (the same/next day) for all the first class units in the early documentation from the KeolisAmey franchise).

However, it isn't just a PRM toilet that is not available for first class passengers in the class 197 design; there are no wheelchair spaces in the first/business section either (although there are priority seats).

Holyhead/Manchester is rather far for the FLIRTs unless North Wales is wired. The FLIRTS don't have the best diesel range
I understood the class 231s to be DEMUs with no pantograph, so presumably have been running full day diagrams on diesel since they entered service on the Rhymney line, and are/were planned to do so between Maesteg/Ebbw Vale/Cheltenham once they move there? Or do they only work half a day and swap over at lunchtime for refueling?

the 231s could be converted to bi-mode operation with relatively little difficulty.
I certainly hope so, but I don't think that has been officially confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.