• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thames Branches/North downs/Oxfordshire/Kennet Day Ranger Tickets, Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritishRail83

Has anyone on here ever bought any of the above day ranger tickets? if so where did you go and how many trains did you go on?
I am thinking of doing a Network Turbo haulage session on the 10th March so i am just curious to know the interesting places people went to and that? I have never done any of the Thames branches either. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
You've just missed the Bicester Town branch. It's now closed for quite some time for rebuilding/upgrading.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It'll be get-able when East-West Rail opens in a few years quite easily, so no loss on the Bicester Town branch. It's awfully dull too, or at least was when I did it some years ago.

I did a Thames Branches Day Ranger a few years back, just Reading to Paddington and back about 6 times to get my HST mileages up :lol: It got very boring after the 4th round trip!

Kennet Day Ranger, that one was in February 2012 I believe, mostly to do the 150s from Basingstoke to Reading and also to scoop shacks between Pewsey and Reading and to Basingstoke. Not a bad ranger for the money.

Oxfordshire Day Ranger, only done it twice I seem to recall, mostly on both times to scoop shacks in the relevant area but also for getting my 165s and 166s in the book. For the area it covers, it's very good value.

Never done a North Downs Ranger, but I will one day. All the others are very good value for the money if you're after getting your Turbos in :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
I wanted to try and do the Bicester Town branch with the Oxfordshire Day ranger (also extending it East from Moreton to Worcester to that limit of the Network railcard).

I've got a plan to do the Thames branches ranger, probably in a couple months on a weekend where all the branches are open.

North Downs line is very pretty

davetheguard

Established Member
Marlow

Probably the most scenic of the Thames Valley branches is the Marlow branch; nice views of hills as you run near the river between Bourne End & Marlow. The line used to continue from Bourne End to High Wycombe.

Trains from Maidenhead to Marlow reverse at Bourne End with the guard changing the points and obtaining a "one train only" staff which he gives to the driver as authority to access the branch. Bourne End has two platforms, and on M-F rush hours has through services to/from Paddington, with the branch train locked in and just shuttling to & from Marlow.

The station at Marlow is not at its original location, as the branch was cut back to the edge of town. Thus it's a longer walk to town than formerly, but it's a pleasant town when you get there with river bridge, attractive high street lined with cafes & pubs.

Henley on Thames

The Henley branch is less interesting operationally, being single tack with two intermediate stations. You cross the River Thames between Wargrave & Shiplake, and cross from Berkshire to Oxfordshire.

In the 60s it was double throughout; you might spot the platform at Shiplake which used to be an island platform (only the former upside is now used). The infamous open crossing at Shiplake, has now been fitted with half-barriers. The Baskeville Arms pub beside Shiplake station is a good place to get off for quality food and local real ale at lunch time, and because of the frequency of the timetable, you'll have an hour to eat and drink, which sound civilised!

The terminus at Henley on Thames has also been cut back slightly, the existing canopy being original, but this was just the part of the platform outside of the station's overall roof; the station entrance opened out on to the main road, while now it is one block back from the main road. Again, a pleasant town, lots of pubs and cafes.

Windsor & Eton Central

The shortest of the branches, at one time there was a triangle at the Slough end, so direct running towards Reading was possible without reversal. After leaving Slough, trains run non stop to Windsor, but I believe at one time there was a small intermediate Halt.

The remaining platform at Windsor is a shadow of the former multi-platformed terminus, but the canopies and buildings are all still there, and are full of shops, restaurants, and people. Windsor Castle is literally just across the road, and the station is right in the centre of this town which is full of tourists.

The town of Eton -and South West Train's Riverside station- is five minute's walk away: left and down the hill beneath the castle walls. Eton is on the other side of the River Thames over the wide bridge.

Greenford

I don't know a lot about the Greenford branch, except to say it's double track with a triangular junction at each end. There are no booked passenger services over the curve to Hanwell at the southern end, or over the easterly curve at the northern end AFAIK.

At Greenford, the Turbos run in to a bay platform at the London Underground station. Scenery is mainly urban, but with green playing fields etc.

Although services run to/from Paddington at present, once Crossrail is open, all the Relief Line (i.e. slow line) paths will be required for their trains, so trains from Greenford will terminate at West Ealing.

There has been some speculation about what will happen in the future; the line is not due to be electrified unlike the other three. Perhaps it could be transfered to Chiltern Railways; or perhaps it might be operated by London Overground, although they would surely want to electrify it. All conjecture, of course.

Other things to look out while travelling on a Thames Valley Rover, might include: work at the former Eurostar depot and North Pole to convert it for IEP trains; the new diver under being constructed at Acton Yard; the odd steam engine on Southall shed; extension to the flyover at Airport Junction to enable Crossrail trains to access Heathrow Airport from the Relief Lines; and the march of new electrification masts towards Reading.

Lots to see and do: have fun!

coxy

Has anyone on here ever bought any of the above day ranger tickets? if so where did you go and how many trains did you go on?
I am thinking of doing a Network Turbo haulage session on the 10th March so i am just curious to know the interesting places people went to and that? I have never done any of the Thames branches either. :D

Hi,

I did the 3 day Thames Rover a couple of times last year. Spent 1 day getting HST haulage between Reading / Paddington outside the peaks, then went further afield for the remaining two days and reached Bicester, Basingstoke, Henley and Newbury. On my most recent outing I managed to clock up around 860 miles, would have been nearer 1,000 had I not spent a couple of hours at Banbury checking out the class 67 services and freight trains.

If you have a Network Rail Card, then the 3 day Rover comes down from around £45 to around £30, so that's £10 per day - downside is that you cannot travel until 10am on weekdays. Without the railcard I believe you can start at 9.30am, although I have seen it mentioned somewhere that you can start as soon as off peak is available from your starting station / route.

Have fun.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've no gen on when it re-opens, as I say you'll get it much more easily when East-West Rail opens (2017 I think that happens), hopefully the linespeed will significantly increase on that section as it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow and dull when I did when FGW still operated the route! Seriously, I can't emphasise enough how boring it was, and that was only doing it one way :shock:

TEW

Established Member
Bicester Town station itself is closed until Summer 2015. Chiltern will then start operating their new service from Oxford Parkway-London Marylebone via Bicester Town. The line between the new Oxford Parkway station and Oxford will remain closed until later though, I believe until 2016.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh yeah, I forgot about Chiltern eventually running to Oxford! That'll of course be why it's closed now, memory fail...

Kite159

Veteran Member
I reckon Chiltern will take over the local service from Oxford to Banbury as well.

That is just my feeling that they will try and introduce an Oxford to B Moor service, maybe timing it to meet up with another set at Banbury (the slow London to Birmingham service)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Chiltern do have that one token service on weekdays very late in the evening to Oxford from the Banbury direction. Gets in around midnight I think, not got the timetable to check at present.

As for whether they'll take over the Oxford to Banbury stoppers is an interesting question. Not convinced they've enough 165s to cover that, although it remains a possibility some 165/1s will go over to them once the knitting goes up along the Western. Won't be much longer until we start seeing blatantly obvious evidence of it coming now surely.

TEW

Established Member
Makes more sense to keep Oxford-Banbury stoppers with FGW as it's planned to be electrified as part of the Electric Spine and FGW will be able to operate with electric units, whereas Chiltern won't have any electrics.

davetheguard

Established Member
Hi guys
Just moved to the Bicester area, and was sad to find that the Bicester Town-Oxford line was closing for the upgrade
However, it makes for a photo project for me in my retirement in a new environment
Here are my photos so far - http://cliffjones.zenfolio.com/bicesterlink

Thanks very much for the link to the superb photos.

I see there are still buses parked up behind the former station building. Is this still Grayline's depot, and if so, presumably they will have to move to an alternative site fairly soon?

Good to see they're really cracking on with the work already!

midlandred

Thanks very much for the link to the superb photos.

I see there are still buses parked up behind the former station building. Is this still Grayline's depot, and if so, presumably they will have to move to an alternative site fairly soon?

Good to see they're really cracking on with the work already!

Thanks!
Yes, is it Grayline's depot - presumably they will have to move

BritishRail83

It'll be get-able when East-West Rail opens in a few years quite easily, so no loss on the Bicester Town branch. It's awfully dull too, or at least was when I did it some years ago.

I did a Thames Branches Day Ranger a few years back, just Reading to Paddington and back about 6 times to get my HST mileages up :lol: It got very boring after the 4th round trip!

Kennet Day Ranger, that one was in February 2012 I believe, mostly to do the 150s from Basingstoke to Reading and also to scoop shacks between Pewsey and Reading and to Basingstoke. Not a bad ranger for the money.

Oxfordshire Day Ranger, only done it twice I seem to recall, mostly on both times to scoop shacks in the relevant area but also for getting my 165s and 166s in the book. For the area it covers, it's very good value.

Never done a North Downs Ranger, but I will one day. All the others are very good value for the money if you're after getting your Turbos in :)

Thank you for your input mate:D Hopefully I will get quite a bit done!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Marlow

Probably the most scenic of the Thames Valley branches is the Marlow branch; nice views of hills as you run near the river between Bourne End & Marlow. The line used to continue from Bourne End to High Wycombe.

Trains from Maidenhead to Marlow reverse at Bourne End with the guard changing the points and obtaining a "one train only" staff which he gives to the driver as authority to access the branch. Bourne End has two platforms, and on M-F rush hours has through services to/from Paddington, with the branch train locked in and just shuttling to & from Marlow.

The station at Marlow is not at its original location, as the branch was cut back to the edge of town. Thus it's a longer walk to town than formerly, but it's a pleasant town when you get there with river bridge, attractive high street lined with cafes & pubs.

Henley on Thames

The Henley branch is less interesting operationally, being single tack with two intermediate stations. You cross the River Thames between Wargrave & Shiplake, and cross from Berkshire to Oxfordshire.

In the 60s it was double throughout; you might spot the platform at Shiplake which used to be an island platform (only the former upside is now used). The infamous open crossing at Shiplake, has now been fitted with half-barriers. The Baskeville Arms pub beside Shiplake station is a good place to get off for quality food and local real ale at lunch time, and because of the frequency of the timetable, you'll have an hour to eat and drink, which sound civilised!

The terminus at Henley on Thames has also been cut back slightly, the existing canopy being original, but this was just the part of the platform outside of the station's overall roof; the station entrance opened out on to the main road, while now it is one block back from the main road. Again, a pleasant town, lots of pubs and cafes.

Windsor & Eton Central

The shortest of the branches, at one time there was a triangle at the Slough end, so direct running towards Reading was possible without reversal. After leaving Slough, trains run non stop to Windsor, but I believe at one time there was a small intermediate Halt.

The remaining platform at Windsor is a shadow of the former multi-platformed terminus, but the canopies and buildings are all still there, and are full of shops, restaurants, and people. Windsor Castle is literally just across the road, and the station is right in the centre of this town which is full of tourists.

The town of Eton -and South West Train's Riverside station- is five minute's walk away: left and down the hill beneath the castle walls. Eton is on the other side of the River Thames over the wide bridge.

Greenford

I don't know a lot about the Greenford branch, except to say it's double track with a triangular junction at each end. There are no booked passenger services over the curve to Hanwell at the southern end, or over the easterly curve at the northern end AFAIK.

At Greenford, the Turbos run in to a bay platform at the London Underground station. Scenery is mainly urban, but with green playing fields etc.

Although services run to/from Paddington at present, once Crossrail is open, all the Relief Line (i.e. slow line) paths will be required for their trains, so trains from Greenford will terminate at West Ealing.

There has been some speculation about what will happen in the future; the line is not due to be electrified unlike the other three. Perhaps it could be transfered to Chiltern Railways; or perhaps it might be operated by London Overground, although they would surely want to electrify it. All conjecture, of course.

Other things to look out while travelling on a Thames Valley Rover, might include: work at the former Eurostar depot and North Pole to convert it for IEP trains; the new diver under being constructed at Acton Yard; the odd steam engine on Southall shed; extension to the flyover at Airport Junction to enable Crossrail trains to access Heathrow Airport from the Relief Lines; and the march of new electrification masts towards Reading.

Lots to see and do: have fun!

Thank you Dave for the info, a very handy guide.:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi,

I did the 3 day Thames Rover a couple of times last year. Spent 1 day getting HST haulage between Reading / Paddington outside the peaks, then went further afield for the remaining two days and reached Bicester, Basingstoke, Henley and Newbury. On my most recent outing I managed to clock up around 860 miles, would have been nearer 1,000 had I not spent a couple of hours at Banbury checking out the class 67 services and freight trains.

If you have a Network Rail Card, then the 3 day Rover comes down from around £45 to around £30, so that's £10 per day - downside is that you cannot travel until 10am on weekdays. Without the railcard I believe you can start at 9.30am, although I have seen it mentioned somewhere that you can start as soon as off peak is available from your starting station / route.

Have fun.

Cheers coxy, I will probably get way laid at Reading like you did at Banbury:lol:

High Dyke

Established Member
Did a Thames Branches ranger sometime last year. Straight out to Slough for a trip to Windsor. Had a walk round the town, took in a pub lunch here: http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thecarpentersarmswindsor/

I then returned to Slough where i changed trains for the short trip to Maidenhead, and onto Marlow. A brief walk from the station found me here: http://www.the-prince-of-wales.co.uk/

Yes there is a theme here...:D

Upon returning by train to Maidenehead i continued to Twyford and up the Henley branch. Again a short walk from the station - well you need to keep fit...and i enjoyed a beer in the surrounds of this pub: http://www.theangelhenley.com/ Last seen overwhelmed by the waters of the River Thames (see attached picture).

I returned to Twyford and continued onto Reading for a fast train back to Paddington. All in all a good day out, coverage of the various branches, beer, food and scenery.

NB: Other public houses and eating establishments are available.

Attachments

• article-2253624-16AAC384000005DC-478_634x471.jpg
    article-2253624-16AAC384000005DC-478_634x471.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 13

BritishRail83

Did a Thames Branches ranger sometime last year. Straight out to Slough for a trip to Windsor. Had a walk round the town, took in a pub lunch here: http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thecarpentersarmswindsor/

I then returned to Slough where i changed trains for the short trip to Maidenhead, and onto Marlow. A brief walk from the station found me here: http://www.the-prince-of-wales.co.uk/

Yes there is a theme here...:D

Upon returning by train to Maidenehead i continued to Twyford and up the Henley branch. Again a short walk from the station - well you need to keep fit...and i enjoyed a beer in the surrounds of this pub: http://www.theangelhenley.com/ Last seen overwhelmed by the waters of the River Thames (see attached picture).

I returned to Twyford and continued onto Reading for a fast train back to Paddington. All in all a good day out, coverage of the various branches, beer, food and scenery.

NB: Other public houses and eating establishments are available.

Great! I don't mind stopping for a pie and a pint:lol: thanks for the links, cheers, that picture reminds me that its better to be wet on the inside than the outside!

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Silly question, and searching seems to bring up both answers, on the Thames Branch are you allowed to use the Heathrow Connect service between Hayes & Harlington and Paddington as they are technically FGW trains between those 2 stations?

TEW

Established Member
Yes it isn't a problem. I think the publicity explicitly states that travel is permitted on Heathrow Connect services between Hayes and Paddington.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I might try and get on a Heathrow Connect service as well. I'm planning to try and do it on Saturday (as all 4 branches are operating)

Status
Not open for further replies.