• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink Daysave - to Cambridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB_B

Established Member
Would this..

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/prb652dac35ce74101b69190b10455bf.aspx

.. be valid on the Cambridge route?

The map hasn't been updated but the text says "Thameslink DaySave offers you unlimited Off Peak travel on Thameslink services on the day of validity. DaySave tickets are not valid on the services of any other train operator."

From memory (it's years since I used one) the ticket itself just says "Thameslink Only".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Would this..

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/prb652dac35ce74101b69190b10455bf.aspx

.. be valid on the Cambridge route?

The map hasn't been updated but the text says "Thameslink DaySave offers you unlimited Off Peak travel on Thameslink services on the day of validity. DaySave tickets are not valid on the services of any other train operator."

From memory (it's years since I used one) the ticket itself just says "Thameslink Only".

Can't see why not, although you won't have many trains to choose from for a while!

JB_B

Established Member
So far as I recall, you could buy them only at a handful of tourist information offices. Here's a link to the page on the Dunstable Town Council website (although it quotes £20 whereas NRE quotes £21.50) - but I think I would call them before making a trip to Dunstable to buy a ticket:

http://www.dunstable.gov.uk/_govia_thameslink_tickets_to_brighton.htm#sthash.ZOTEy7mY.dpbs

Thanks - fortunately for me my office isn't far from the Brighton One Stop Shop - I'll pick one up there.

Can't see why not, although you won't have many trains to choose from for a while!

Thanks - I expect there might be the odd gateline discussion (same as Southern Daysave on WLL/WCML ) but it should be OK. Do you know when there'll be more than one round trip BTN->CBG->BTN per day?

Sebastian O

Bit of a stupid restriction to only be able to buy at some small town in the East or Brighton..

JaJaWa

Established Member
The Thameslink route services become operated by Great Northern at / north of Finsbury Park (according to GTR ;)).
And it’s not on the validity map.

JB_B

Established Member
The Thameslink route services become operated by Great Northern at / north of Finsbury Park (according to GTR ;)).

Just had a look at LBDs to see how it's presented to passengers...

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/ldbboard/dep/CBG currently (14.11) shows two trains to Brighton

14.24 Great Northern
14.24 Thameslink

while m.nationalrail.co.uk also shows two trains

14.24 Govia Thameslink Railway
14.24 Thameslink and Gt Northern Gn

It couldn't be simpler, could it?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Just had a look at LBDs to see how it's presented to passengers...

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/ldbboard/dep/CBG currently (14.11) shows two trains to Brighton

14.24 Great Northern
14.24 Thameslink

while m.nationalrail.co.uk also shows two trains

14.24 Govia Thameslink Railway
14.24 Thameslink and Gt Northern Gn

It couldn't be simpler, could it?

So at the gateline just say you want to board the 14:24 Thameslink service. If they say no such service exists the show then the National Rail Enquires Web Site.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Staff Live Departures shows it as a Great Northern service throughout; RTT shows it as Great Northern as far as City Thameslink, then switching to Thameslink at Blackfriars.

Hrm...As an aside, NRE is showing a new version of the NRCoT coming into force on 11th March, though I'm not entirely sure what the differences are compared to the current version.

jon0844

Veteran Member
And it’s not on the validity map.

I don't think even that's consistent as I am sure I saw a service showing as TL first, then GN through the core from I think Finsbury Park and TL again from Blackfriars or London Bridge.

Perhaps these are errors that will or have been fixed, but it seems to be creating some oddities that only go to confuse people.

Fact is, as far as the passenger is concerned these services are announced as Thameslink services and advertised as such. Any rover should therefore be valid unless they somehow exclude them, which would seem silly. How many people buy these anyway? Probably easier to just increase the price or scrap them.

superalbs

Established Member
Hrm...As an aside, NRE is showing a new version of the NRCoT coming into force on 11th March, though I'm not entirely sure what the differences are compared to the current version.
Not to go too far off-topic, but it's probably just this:
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/03/train-companies-misleading-claims-to-hit-the-buffers/

Relevant section quoted below:
From this weekend, passengers left out-of-pocket because of a failure by their train company will not be put off from claiming by misleading terms and conditions.

The industry-wide National Rail Conditions of Travel (NRCoT) will be changed this Sunday to recognise the different routes to compensation.

Silver Cobra

While this isn't in reference to the Cambridge-Brighton service, the PIS and departure boards at Arlesey and Stevenage refer to the two Peterborough-Horsham services as 'Thameslink' services (and the auto-announcements say this as well), so I assume all stations between Peterborough and Finsbury Park refer to these as 'Thameslink' services. I imagine the same would be true for the CBG-BTN service at stations between Cambridge and Finsbury Park as well.

The Thameslink website also says the following with regards to these services:

These new services will be operated by Thameslink, however tickets marked 'Great Northern only' are valid on these services.

So even if the Thameslink Daysave isn't yet valid on these routes, there's plenty of reasons out there why passengers could think it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.