• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink Intension to Prosecute Notice Received - PLS HELP

Chatz

This is an important point. That you changed trains is not relevant. You travelled from Farringdon to Chatham and you evaded the correct fare for that journey. That it turned 10am, or you changed trains en route isn't relevant. You made one journey, from Farringdon to Chatham.

You should ask to pay the difference in fares, but you should not intimate that you only owe them money for the short leg from Farringdon to St Pancras.
Thank you and will follow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
You're correct about that restriction and I will amend my post. I notice that there is a specific 'unpublished restriction' for arriving at STP before 1004. Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to intervene to tell us if the TOC can use an unpublished restriction intended for a journey planner to prosecute.
This is not really the issue; the issue is the usage of a Network Railcard discounted ticket before 10am on a weekday.

jeremyjh

This is not really the issue; the issue is the usage of a Network Railcard discounted ticket before 10am on a weekday.

My apologies, I'd got drawn into the minutiae of the journey taken and missed something important.

Sultan

Does the fact that the OP tried to use the ticket at Farringdon gateline and was rejected come into this? They were allowed through upon presentation of the ticket to gateline person (with permission to travel)? The ticket clearly says 'with Network Railcard' on it. Was the person on the gate at St Pancras who stopped you a Revenue Protection Officer or the same type of person who waved you through at Farringdon?

Do you remember if the staff member at Farringdon just waved you through without looking at the ticket or did they review it and then wave you through?

Chatz

Does the fact that the OP tried to use the ticket at Farringdon gateline and was rejected come into this? They were allowed through upon presentation of the ticket to gateline person (with permission to travel)? The ticket clearly says 'with Network Railcard' on it. Was the person on the gate at St Pancras who stopped you a Revenue Protection Officer or the same type of person who waved you through at Farringdon?

Do you remember if the staff member at Farringdon just waved you through without looking at the ticket or did they review it and then wave you through?
He did have a look at the Card. Thereafter he used his card to send me in.

Chatz

This is what I am going to post today.

================================

Herewith I, .................sincerely would like to apologise from the Govia Thameslink Railway for the unintended error I committed by travelling before 10.00 a.m. having purchased a ticket using my Network Railcard from Farringdon to St Pancras Station.

In brief, I am new to this country (05 Months when this happened) got a job in London few months ago and I am quite new to the regular train travel. I only work few days of the month. Generally, I walk to St Pancras to take my train journey to Chatham using South-eastern highspeed which leaves platform 11 at 10.20 a.m. (Ramsgate). However, on the 21st of February it rained a lot where I could not walk and led me to take the train from Farringdon. My Ticket said “Off Peak Return”, therefore, I tried my ticket on the gate and it did not open, I presented my train ticket to the officer who was on duty, looking at it he let me in using his card where I started my journey approx. 09.30 a.m. from Farringdon and was stopped at 09.39 a.m. at St Pancras International for not having a valid ticket and now reported for the error. I had no intension to break a law and there was no need for me to do so and it only happened because I thought I had the correct ticket. I am so sorry for my ignorance. I have already had many sleepless nights due to this as I have never received a penalty or a letter of this sort any day of my life until this happened in my entire life.

I am so sorry once again that I inadvertently travelled with the return portion of the ticket which I bought using the Network Railcard. I now very well understand the time restriction of the Network Railcard and the use of it. Having realised the error and being apologetic about it very much, I would sincerely appreciate very much if you could assist me in offering a solution outside courts as it was never intended and have never made any errors or had any penalties in my entire life. I am willing to pay and settle the fare difference or any other amount which was mistakenly avoided along with the administrative costs involved to the Govia Thameslink Railway, dealing with the matter.

I am sincerely sorry about the whole mishap once again and I look forward for a favourable reply whilst assuring that this will never again be repeated.
(P.S. A copy of the Ticket used for travel, The Payment Receipt and the Network Railcard used for the travel is attached here for your easy reference along with the signed letter subjected Notice of Intension to prosecute received on the 26th of March 2024)

Titfield

Established Member
It is rather wordy, repetitive and contains information not really relevant to the matter.

If you look at the advice @Hadders gives in other threads, as well as the where when and what happened the reply only requires one or two sentences to cover each of the four main points listed.

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Obviously it must sound sincere (and being too brief makes it sound insincere) but the person reading your email will want to get to the heart of the matter as quickly as possible.

Chatz

It is rather wordy, repetitive and contains information not really relevant to the matter.

If you look at the advice @Hadders gives in other threads, as well as the where when and what happened the reply only requires one or two sentences to cover each of the four main points listed.

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Obviously it must sound sincere (and being too brief makes it sound insincere) but the person reading your email will want to get to the heart of the matter as quickly as possible.
Understand that. Could you please let me know the points u mention is included there or not..?? Should I give any emphasis to any points other than that. It just came to 3/4 of an A4 sheet.

Pushpit

Understand that. Could you please let me know the points u mention is included there or not..?? Should I give any emphasis to any points other than that. It just came to 3/4 of an A4 sheet.
It still looks like ChatGPT or similar helped you here. See the word "Generally," it has a comma: this is correct under a strict reading of linking non-dependent clauses into a sentence, so computers put it in. Humans don't write like that. I imagine the rail companies staff enjoy working out the most ChatGPT contributions they get every morning.

I'm no expert on this, but if you wanted to focus this - well the best thing would be to use your own words, something you are clearly able to do since your contributions to this thread show you to be articulate and intelligent. But if you want to cheat, why not remove the entire paragraph starting "In brief" (comma!)? So your first substantive paragraph would be "I am so sorry". You would also have to remove "once again" though.

If you like you could put in something like this before "I am so sorry".

"I would normally take the 10:20 from St Pancras to Chatham, which is within the relevant time restrictions for the Network railcard, by walking to St. Pancras from my place of work near Farringdon. On the day in question it was raining heavily, so without realising the consequences I started my journey at Farringdon around 09:30, in order to get to the 10:20 service out of St. Pancras without getting wet. I have now learned that this mistake invalidated my ticket, since I was travelling at a restricted time."

Sultan

He did have a look at the Card. Thereafter he used his card to send me in.
If you say he looked at the card (and I assume you mean the Network Rail Card), then should he not have known that it was not valid before 10am? And therefore, said you needed to use Oyster to get to St Pancras. I'm not sure if this is an avenue of appeal though - you would need to be very precise in describing exactly how you were allowed through and what the gate-person actually looked at. Perhaps adding this aspect to your response may create sufficient reason for you to believe that you had been given permission to travel. Others may say it is irrelevant but you have nothing to lose by including it in my opinion.

Titfield

Established Member
Including how long you have been in the country, the sleepless nights, never having received a penalty before is not really relevant. You say the bit about penalties twice.

You apologise on a number of occasions and this is over the top. Apologising twice (at the most) is normally sufficient to convey the sentiment.

Following the advice @Pushpit give should produce a more concise but to the point letter.

Chatz

Thank you and I am changing it now. I appreciate all ur assistance dealing with this. I wish I had checked how to travel to London in train with you guys before.

If you say he looked at the card (and I assume you mean the Network Rail Card), then should he not have known that it was not valid before 10am? And therefore, said you needed to use Oyster to get to St Pancras. I'm not sure if this is an avenue of appeal though - you would need to be very precise in describing exactly how you were allowed through and what the gate-person actually looked at. Perhaps adding this aspect to your response may create sufficient reason for you to believe that you had been given permission to travel. Others may say it is irrelevant but you have nothing to lose by including it in my opinion.
He didnt check my rail card but my ticket. Which is why I thought it was permitted.

Pushpit

Thank you and I am changing it now. I appreciate all ur assistance dealing with this. I wish I had checked how to travel to London in train with you guys before.
That's a good point there, namely that if you are unsure about any rail related issue then someone here will give good advice, and probably save you some money along the way. So definitely worth using this forum. By all means put the new draft here for the real experts (not me!) to tweak.

Your introduction should be made more concise as:

I sincerely apologise for my unintended error, by travelling before 10.00 a.m., having purchased a ticket using my Network Railcard from Farringdon to St Pancras Station. Reference number: xxxxxxx.

Chatz

Dear Fare Evasion Manager,

Herewith I, ----------------------------- sincerely appologise for my unintended error, by travelling before 10.00 a.m., having purchased a ticket using my Network Railcard from Farringdon to St Pancras Station, Reference Number................

I am new to this country and it is railway systems which I am learning every day, I got a job in London couple of months ago and only travel few days of the month. I would normally take the 10.20 train from St. Pancras to Chatham, which is within the relevant time restrictions for the Network Railcard, and I walk to St Pancras from my place of work near Farringdon. On the day in question, it was raining heavily, where I could not walk and led me to take the train from Farringdon. My Ticket said “Off Peak Return”, therefore, little that I knew of, I tried my ticket on the gate and it did not open, I presented my train ticket to the officer who was on duty, looking at it he let me in using his card where I started my journey approx. 09.30 a.m. from Farringdon and was stopped at 09.39 a.m. at St Pancras International for not having a valid ticket and now reported for the error. Following this I have now learnt that this mistake invalidated my ticket since I was travelling at a restricted time. I am so sorry for my ignorance and this is my first Panelty.

I clearly understand that I inadvertently travelled with the return portion of the ticket which I bought using the Network Railcard. I also now very well understand the time restriction of the Network Railcard and the use of it. Having realised the error and being apologetic about it very much, I would sincerely appreciate if you could assist me in offering a solution outside courts for this Genuine mistake. I am willing to pay and settle the fare difference or any other fees which was mistakenly avoided along with the administrative costs involved to the Govia Thameslink Railway, dealing with the matter.

I am sincerely sorry about the whole mishap once again and I look forward for a favourable reply whilst assuring that this will never again be repeated.

Pushpit

Yes, still a bit overwrought, let me suggest this version instead, where I've tried to include as much as your wording but with slightly less repetition. They will have the core facts to hand:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I sincerely apologise for my unintended error, by travelling before 10.00 a.m., having purchased a ticket using my Network Railcard from Farringdon to St Pancras Station. Reference number: xxxxxxx.

I would normally take the 10:20 from St Pancras to Chatham, which is within the relevant time restrictions for the Network railcard, by walking to St. Pancras from my place of work near Farringdon. On the day in question it was raining heavily, so without realising the consequences I started my journey at Farringdon around 09:30, in order to get to the 10:20 service out of St. Pancras without getting wet. I have now learned that this mistake invalidated my ticket, since I was travelling at a restricted time.

I am very sorry that I inadvertently travelled with the return portion of the ticket using the Network Railcard. I now very well understand the time restriction of the Network Railcard and the use of it. I would greatly appreciate if you could assist me in offering a solution outside courts as it was never intended and have never made any errors or had any penalties in my entire life. I am willing to pay and settle the fare difference or any other amount which was mistakenly avoided along with your administrative costs in dealing with the matter.

(P.S. A copy of the Ticket used for travel, The Payment Receipt and the Network Railcard used for the travel is attached here for your easy reference along with the signed letter subjected Notice of Intention to Prosecute, received on the 26th of March 2024).

Yours sincerely

Chatz

Yes, still a bit overwrought, let me suggest this version instead, where I've tried to include as much as your wording but with slightly less repetition. They will have the core facts to hand:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would normally take the 10:20 from St Pancras to Chatham, which is within the relevant time restrictions for the Network railcard, by walking to St. Pancras from my place of work near Farringdon. On the day in question it was raining heavily, so without realising the consequences I started my journey at Farringdon around 09:30, in order to get to the 10:20 service out of St. Pancras without getting wet. I have now learned that this mistake invalidated my ticket, since I was travelling at a restricted time.

I am very sorry that I inadvertently travelled with the return portion of the ticket using the Network Railcard. I now very well understand the time restriction of the Network Railcard and the use of it. I would greatly appreciate if you could assist me in offering a solution outside courts as it was never intended and have never made any errors or had any penalties in my entire life. I am willing to pay and settle the fare difference or any other amount which was mistakenly avoided along with your administrative costs in dealing with the matter.

(P.S. A copy of the Ticket used for travel, The Payment Receipt and the Network Railcard used for the travel is attached here for your easy reference along with the signed letter subjected Notice of Intention to Prosecute, received on the 26th of March 2024).

Yours sincerely
Thank you so much. but shouldnt I say that the officer in farringdon let me in. I did not jump or ran from the gate.

Pushpit

Thank you so much. but shouldnt I say that the officer in farringdon let me in. I did not jump or ran from the gate.
I wasn't sure about that. It still remains your responsibility to understand the very well advertised time restrictions on Network Railcards, so I think trying to partially palm responsibility on to someone else isn't a good look. Had you said to the Farringdon staff member "I know I'm early here, can you let me through?" then I'm sure the staff member would have said "Just pay for Farringdon to St. Pancras, it's only a few pounds".

But other people in this forum may have other views about this?

Chatz

I wasn't sure about that. It still remains your responsibility to understand the very well advertised time restrictions on Network Railcards, so I think trying to partially palm responsibility on to someone else isn't a good look. Had you said to the Farringdon staff member "I know I'm early here, can you let me through?" then I'm sure the staff member would have said "Just pay for Farringdon to St. Pancras, it's only a few pounds".

He never said so and he did not correct me. which is the main reason for this error. I never wanted to break a rule if I had knew it was wrong.

Titfield

Established Member

IMHO using being let through a gateline by a member of staff as any form of excuse / partial defence / blame shifting is pointless and may even slightly undermine your being seen by the TOC to be taking full responsibility for your actions / and demonstrating the depth of your contrition.

The reality is that (1) abiding by the terms and conditions of your ticket and railcard where used is solely your responsibility (2) people get let through the gates all the time by staff who do not meaningfully check the ticket the passenger presents.

Chatz

IMHO using being let through a gateline by a member of staff as any form of excuse / partial defence / blame shifting is pointless and may even slightly undermine your being seen by the TOC to be taking full responsibility for your actions / and demonstrating the depth of your contrition.

The reality is that (1) abiding by the terms and conditions of your ticket and railcard where used is solely your responsibility (2) people get let through the gates all the time by staff who do not meaningfully check the ticket the passenger presents.
Okay. I will go as advised then.

Chatz

I have not got a reply from GTL still. What should I do. Of cause I do have the receipt of the post of the letter. What do you all think.. ??

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have not got a reply from GTL still. What should I do. Of cause I do have the receipt of the post of the letter. What do you all think.. ??
It's not even been two weeks yet, replies often take longer than this especially as it's been school holiday time. I'd give it a few more weeks yet.