• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chip Shop discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
We would welcome a thread to discuss how fish & chip shops differ around the country; if anyone would like to create one, feel free to do so and you may also link to any such thread from this one.
OK, let’s do it.

Just some observations having moved from near Manchester to South Yorkshire about forty years ago:

No steak puddings in Yorkshire

Meat and Potato pies not the dominant pie in Yorkshire. Manchester ones much better.

And I will ask a question - what would you get if you asked for scallops, if anything?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I find it disappointing that not many chippies seem to do a cheese and onion pie around here.

westv

Established Member
Patties seem to be a thing here in Hull.
Deep fried potato with chips. Not my idea of s great meal.

TheBigD

Established Member
For me, the lack of chippies that cook with tallow. Vegetable oil just isn't the same.

I use both tallow and lard for home cooking, don't even use veggie oils at home.

And the chippies around here no longer do battered mushrooms (except one).

TheBigD

Established Member
The chippy just a few seconds walk from Saxilby station cooks with tallow.
Cheers for that! I'm in that part of the world cycling in a couple of weeks.

Cycling the Water Railway, along with Fledborough viaduct and Torksey viaduct on a 100+mile route.

McRhu

When I came out there was Gordon....

Anyway, the chippies round my way cook with Mars Bars. Sumptuous!

baz962

Established Member
If you ever visit Beamish living museum, they cook the chips in the old style. Delicious.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The true experience has to be the coal fired range and lard cooked products at the Black Country Museum ....

Coal fired (anthracite) ranges by Nuttels (sic) of Heywood were remarkably common in SW Wales in the 1970's and even into the 1980's. You had to wait a few minutes sometime to get the fat nicely hot - sometimes tested by one particular owner who used to gob into it , to check the range was ready for frying.....

TheBigD

Established Member
The true experience has to be the coal fired range and lard cooked products at the Black Country Museum ....

Coal fired (anthracite) ranges by Nuttels (sic) of Heywood were remarkably common in SW Wales in the 1970's and even into the 1980's. You had to wait a few minutes sometime to get the fat nicely hot - sometimes tested by one particular owner who used to gob into it , to check the range was ready for frying.....
I've suddenly lost my appetite...

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Coal fired (anthracite) ranges by Nuttels (sic) of Heywood were remarkably common in SW Wales in the 1970's and even into the 1980's.
Presume that's a reference to Henry Nuttall Ltd, the firm which has been making bespoke frying ranges since 1865.

PeterC

Established Member
OK, let’s do it.

Just some observations having moved from near Manchester to South Yorkshire about forty years ago:

No steak puddings in Yorkshire

Meat and Potato pies not the dominant pie in Yorkshire. Manchester ones much better.

And I will ask a question - what would you get if you asked for scallops, if anything?
Brought up on what us now the Essex / London border there are several things that have struck me when visiting other parts of the country.

1. I have never seen saveloys away from London and Home Counties

2 Yorkshire just offers cod or haddock. Never skate or rock.

3.in the North West the species of fish being served is a secret. The price list just says "fish"

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
3.in the North West the species of fish being served is a secret. The price list just says "fish"
Could easily be pollock (coley), or whiting, whatever's cheaper. So, whilst it ain't cod or haddock, it can legitimately still be described as 'fish'. MOTWYW (!)

Starmill

Veteran Member
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the good stuff coming out of Binley Mega Chippy yet! :lol:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the good stuff coming out of Binley Mega Chippy yet! :lol
Please, no. I keep tapping the “Not Interested” button yet it still infiltrates my feed! Needless to say, it’s not somewhere I’ll be visiting!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Brought up on what us now the Essex / London border there are several things that have struck me when visiting other parts of the country.

1. I have never seen saveloys away from London and Home Counties

2 Yorkshire just offers cod or haddock. Never skate or rock.

I vaguely remember seeing saveloy on chippy menus in the past, but not recently. The closest thing here, going by looks alone, is smoked sausage.

We have "red pudding", which I'd never actually tried until about a month ago; I was somewhat disappointed as it didn't really taste much different to an ordinary pork sausage.

I'm guessing that haggis suppers aren't common south of the border. :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Smoked sausage is one of my favourites. You don't often get it down South (my local used to do it but stopped, coincidentally with the shop next door stopping selling it which I think shows where it came from). It is basically deep fried German Currywurst without the curry, containing far more meat than the mostly-rusk standard chippy sausage. Nothing like saveloy which is like spam in what looks like a red plastic case.

ABB125

Established Member
When I came out there was Gordon....
Standing by the bus stop, perchance? :D
(Pretty much everyone my age (20) wouldn't have the faintest idea what this is about!)

I have no particular requirements for fish and chips - something fishy will do. I don't like batter though - I always extricate the fish from that substance before eating it!

scotrail158713

Established Member
Since this is a chip shop discussion I'll ask it - what is the preferred condiment to go with fish & chips? It's got to be the eastern Scotland speciality "chippy sauce" if you ask me - there's nothing better.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Since this is a chip shop discussion I'll ask it - what is the preferred condiment to go with fish & chips? It's got to be the eastern Scotland speciality "chippy sauce" if you ask me - there's nothing better.
How about chip spice.

McRhu

Standing by the bus stop, perchance? :D
(Pretty much everyone my age (20) wouldn't have the faintest idea what this is about!)

I have no particular requirements for fish and chips - something fishy will do. I don't like batter though - I always extricate the fish from that substance before eating it!
Altogether now.... "Gordon is a moron" :D

kermit

We have a once-a-week visiting fish and chip van on a Friday night. Brilliant quality, huge portion of fish and chips recently gone up in price from £5 to £5.50. Top quality battered haggis, or white pudding, scampi, or local delicacy of battered "patties" (mince, onion and mashed potato rolled into a ball a bit smaller than a tennis ball, battered and deep fried). They will also dip and drop suitable foods if you take them along yourself - individual sized Christmas Puddings are absolutely superb done that way, served with ice cream. Never thought I would experience such things when growing up in Manchester! I do have to make my own gravy though.......

Status
Not open for further replies.