• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Equality Act 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sevenhills

I can't help feeling that the extraordinary amount being spent on mass station engineering projects will never be fully justified in some cases.

As for those areas where there is unlikely to ever be full compliance,

In the case of Morley station, the bridge is over 50 years old, and although it could last a lot longer, some modern (council built) buildings dont last that long. Two local sport centres in the Leeds area have been knocked down and they were both less than 40 years old.
And its the unfairness of massive ammounts of money spent elsewhere on the railways.

sevenhills

So what do you propose has spending slashed on it in order to further fund disabled access?

I would say stop closing crossings, and putting expensive bridges over. I just walked passed a doctors surgery that had a sloping entrance installed, when another entrance could have been used.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A few hundred yards away from Morley station, Network Rail have announced that they will build a enclosed pedestrian footbridge. This is because someone chased their dog onto the railway line and was killed, but this is a rarely used crossing, and I think it is closed at the moment.
People get killed crossing roads every day, but nothing is done.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....built-at-spot-where-leeds-teen-died-1-4404898

Last edited:

Waddon

To be honest, lifts do not make stations accessible, because lifts break down regularly... in the past a wheelchair user would be told that xyz station has no lift, now they may get off a train there to find out that the lift is out of order and be trapped on the platform, or worse within a lift that fails. Yes, they should have the same freedom to travel anywhere as anyone else, but maybe it would be better to provide the occasional taxi to certain places than provide expensive lifts at stations where they are only going to be used once in a blue moon and the rest of the time be vandalised...

Established Member
However, at some stations there isn't the room to put in a ramp that meets current standards, which is why a lift will be put in instead.

sevenhills

I have received a reply from my MP, Ed Balls; he has written to the Corporate Communications Diresctor of Network Rail. So I might be getting a very nice letter very soon, or perhaps a good reply?

Rhydgaled

Established Member
The Equality Act applies to rolling stock also does it not? In that regard, I think I read somewhere that a list of all the modifications that would be required to make each class of current rolling stock compliant, but couldn't find it. Anyone know if such a list exists, and where?

Status
Not open for further replies.