• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The longest distance that you could travel entirely on local buses.

stadler

I had just stumbled across an article today about someone who did Lands End to John O Groats entirely on local buses. This had me wondering whether any similar challenges are possible in other countries. Or even across multiple countries.

Are there any other countries or multiple countries where you could do something similar to that and travel a very long distance entirely on local buses. So not on Flixbus or Megabus or National Express or any equivalent service like that. Just entirely on local buses.

The issue i have found with a lot of other countries is that local bus networks rarely link up. I find in many countries local buses only exist within cities and towns and rarely run between them. Normally the railway is the only method of getting long distances. I think the UK is quite unique in having local buses everywhere linking up with each other and also competing with railways. So i suspect such a challenge would be a lot harder in any other countries.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainguy34

I was able to make a plan to get from The most Southern - Northern Stagecoach Stop and The most Eastern - Western Stagecoach Stop only using Stagecoach (And ferries to get to an island and a Megabus to get across a section with physically no Stagecoach buses), shows how much you can go.

johnnychips

Established Member

This gentleman went from London via Dieppe to Paris in a day, but did struggle with a lack of rural buses during non-peak and non-school start/finish times.

DanielB

I think the UK is quite unique in having local buses everywhere linking up with each other and also competing with railways.
Not entirely. The linking up of buses with railways in the Netherlands does definitely offer opportunities to change between buses as well.

Just some thinking where I can get from my home town Amersfoort by bus only...
- Amersfoort - 280 - Rhenen - 50 - Wageningen - 352 - Arnhem - 300 - Nijmegen - 83 - Venlo - 66 - Roermond - 67 - Echt (and there it ends, as there are no buses crossing the narrowest part of the Netherlands, only trains)

- Amersfoort - 34 - Utrecht Westraven - 65 - Vianen Lekbrug - 388 - Papendrecht - 491 - Rotterdam Zuidplein - 436 - Oude Tonge - 133 - Middelburg - 50 - Gent (B)

- Amersfoort - 70 - Hilversum - 320 - Amsterdam Amstel - 37 - Amsterdam Noord - 314 - Hoorn - 135 - Den Helder

- Amersfoort - 3 - Amersfoort Vathorst - 101 - Harderwijk - 111 - Nunspeet - 301 - Dedemsvaart - 31 - Hoogeveen - 27 - Emmen - 72 - Winschoten

So that's actually pretty much all four corners of the country.

JonasB

In Sweden local bus networks usually link up in certain places. In Swedish, but here is a youtuber travelling from Malmö to Stockholm using only local buses:

He has also done Stockholm-Gothenburg and Oslo-Stockholm local buses, and I see no reason why he can't continue. Trelleborg-Karesuando should be possible by local bus, a bit over 1500 km as the crow flies.

johncrossley

Established Member
There was a previous thread on this topic

Belgium is another country which you could ride right across and it would cost very little. De Lijn operate throughout the Flemish region which stretches from the coast to the southern tip of the Netherlands and a 7.50 EUR day ticket is valid on the whole network, other than a small number of exceptions.

nwales58

First, define 'local bus' more precisely. In many countries the limited stop express versus local is not that clear, practically or statutorily.

E.g. here in Wales you can travel from the north to south coasts using only 2 buses, T2 and T1X, these are local services stopping everywhere apart from the last leg of T1X. But decades ago T1 and T4 were coach services 7xx from (crap) memory.

Similarly in Sweden Norrbotten bus 20 takes you from Umea to Haparanda in 7-8 hours in a double decker but also carries people from one village to the next. But the equivalent in northern Finland run by Eskelisen or Onnibus looks like National Express.

Vehicle type does not help. In Spain, outside cities, most local services are operated by coaches. The same operator and vehicles are used for local services to villages as well as longer distance services to a regional city. Those often are a mixture of stopping in every village and limited stop sections. No idea how Spain complies with PSVAR, don't recall seeing a lift on any high-floored vehicle there.

Ditto Portugal. Exclude Rede-Expressos, but Rodonorte and other regional companies run a mixture of local services, some running long distances, and mixed local/limited stop services.

So I think the local/express distinction is too hard to make unless you can find a regulatory or statutory distinction for each country. Yes, there is an EU definition, but we skirt around it and the tachograph requirement etc by registering a single route in multiple segments so I would guess other countries do too.

France is easy, most regions have really awful rural buses and especially across region boundaries so you won't get far before being frustrated.

Last edited:

stadler

I was able to make a plan to get from The most Southern - Northern Stagecoach Stop and The most Eastern - Western Stagecoach Stop only using Stagecoach (And ferries to get to an island and a Megabus to get across a section with physically no Stagecoach buses), shows how much you can go.
I worked out that it is possible to get from Dover to Newtown and from Wrexham to John O Groats entirely on Stagecoach buses. So no Megabus or anything like that required. It is a shame about that small gap in Wales between Newtown and Wrexham as otherwise you could travel from Dover to John O Groats entirely on local Stagecoach buses only.

This gentleman went from London via Dieppe to Paris in a day, but did struggle with a lack of rural buses during non-peak and non-school start/finish times.
Thank you for the video link. Interesting to see that Dieppe to Paris on local buses is possible. I doubt it but i wonder if there is any possible routes that you could continue further South from Paris and get as far as the Mediterranean coast.

Not entirely. The linking up of buses with railways in the Netherlands does definitely offer opportunities to change between buses as well.

Just some thinking where I can get from my home town Amersfoort by bus only...
- Amersfoort - 280 - Rhenen - 50 - Wageningen - 352 - Arnhem - 300 - Nijmegen - 83 - Venlo - 66 - Roermond - 67 - Echt (and there it ends, as there are no buses crossing the narrowest part of the Netherlands, only trains)

- Amersfoort - 34 - Utrecht Westraven - 65 - Vianen Lekbrug - 388 - Papendrecht - 491 - Rotterdam Zuidplein - 436 - Oude Tonge - 133 - Middelburg - 50 - Gent (B)

- Amersfoort - 70 - Hilversum - 320 - Amsterdam Amstel - 37 - Amsterdam Noord - 314 - Hoorn - 135 - Den Helder

- Amersfoort - 3 - Amersfoort Vathorst - 101 - Harderwijk - 111 - Nunspeet - 301 - Dedemsvaart - 31 - Hoogeveen - 27 - Emmen - 72 - Winschoten

So that's actually pretty much all four corners of the country.
I think the Netherlands probably has the most similar public transport to what the UK and Ireland has in that they have plenty of frequent turn up and go bus and train services across the country. I am surprised though that there are no local buses across the narrow Southern part to Maastricht or Heerlen but yet you can get by bus to the much more rural and empty Northern parts in the Drenthe and Groningen area. If you can get to Venlo then i presume there are likely buses going further in to Germany in to the Cologne / Dortmund / Dusseldorf / Duisburg area as this area appears to be mostly a continuous urban area so presumably has good buses.

In Sweden local bus networks usually link up in certain places. In Swedish, but here is a youtuber travelling from Malmö to Stockholm using only local buses:

He has also done Stockholm-Gothenburg and Oslo-Stockholm local buses, and I see no reason why he can't continue. Trelleborg-Karesuando should be possible by local bus, a bit over 1500 km as the crow flies.
Unfortunately there are no English subtitles but they certainly look like some interesting challenges. I am surprised how far you can travel on local buses seeing how rural parts of Sweden and Norway are. I wonder whether any connecting buses run to Denmark and Finland to enable a Denmark to Finland by local buses challenge.

There was a previous thread on this topic

Belgium is another country which you could ride right across and it would cost very little. De Lijn operate throughout the Flemish region which stretches from the coast to the southern tip of the Netherlands and a 7.50 EUR day ticket is valid on the whole network, other than a small number of exceptions.
Thank you for the link to the old thread. Now that you mention the Belgian network this has me wondering if you could connect further to France to enable you to get from a ferry port to the Netherlands entirely on local buses. I wonder if any combination of buses from Dieppe or Calais or Dunkirk to Belgium exists so you could connect to De Lijn services and then connect with Dutch services.

First, define 'local bus' more precisely. In many countries the limited stop express versus local is not that clear, practically or statutorily.

E.g. here in Wales you can travel from the north to south coasts using only 2 buses, T2 and T1X, these are local services stopping everywhere apart from the last leg of T1X. But decades ago T1 and T4 were coach services 7xx from (crap) memory.

Similarly in Sweden Norrbotten bus 20 takes you from Umea to Haparanda in 7-8 hours in a double decker but also carries people from one village to the next. But the equivalent in northern Finland run by Eskelisen or Onnibus looks like National Express.

Vehicle type does not help. In Spain, outside cities, most local services are operated by coaches. The same operator and vehicles are used for local services to villages as well as longer distance services to a regional city. Those often are a mixture of stopping in every village and limited stop sections. No idea how Spain complies with PSVAR, don't recall seeing a lift on any high-floored vehicle there.

Ditto Portugal. Exclude Rede-Expressos, but Rodonorte and other regional companies run a mixture of local services, some running long distances, and mixed local/limited stop services.

So I think the local/express distinction is too hard to make unless you can find a regulatory or statutory distinction for each country. Yes, there is an EU definition, but we skirt around it and the tachograph requirement etc by registering a single route in multiple segments so I would guess other countries do too.

France is easy, most regions have really awful rural buses and especially across region boundaries so you won't get far before being frustrated.
You make a good point. Most other countries do not have such a clear distinction like we do. I think the UK is quite unique in having such a clear distinction between bus services and coach services. In fact i think it is mainly an England and Wales thing as Scotland and Northern Ireland and the Republic Of Ireland do not really have this distinction as much as we do. But you make a good point about how you define local bus services. I suppose i would say a local bus service is something run as part of the public transport network. So something like Flixbus or Megabus or National Express which runs as a long distance express service and offers pre booking is clearly not a local bus. But in some European countries like you mention it does seem to get a bit blurred with some operators using coaches and running long distance services but still being part of the local public transport network. It is much more complex than i thought once you look at other countries.

DanielB

I am surprised though that there are no local buses across the narrow Southern part to Maastricht or Heerlen but yet you can get by bus to the much more rural and empty Northern parts in the Drenthe and Groningen area.
Turns out I made a small mistake: there is a bus between Susteren and Sittard going through that narrowest part, but no buses from Echt to Susteren as nothing is in between and Arriva operates both train and bus there nowadays, so there is no fare advantage in a parallel bus anymore.
There used to be a bus Weert - Sittard via Belgium, but that doesn't exist anymore.

If you can get to Venlo then i presume there are likely buses going further in to Germany in to the Cologne / Dortmund / Dusseldorf / Duisburg area as this area appears to be mostly a continuous urban area so presumably has good buses.
Venlo (and actually the entire North Limburg area) has surprisingly little cross border buses. Probably due to the narrow strip of land between Maas and border with some hills, resulting in all villages being along one road with little east-west roadways.
Though there is route 1 to Kaldenkirchen from where you could get further into Germany.
You make a good point. Most other countries do not have such a clear distinction like we do. I think the UK is quite unique in having such a clear distinction between bus services and coach services.
For the Netherlands I just looked at services franchised under the Personenenvervoer 2000 act, which pretty much excludes coach services like Flixbus. Though indeed coaches on some long distance services do exist indeed.

johncrossley

Established Member
Thank you for the link to the old thread. Now that you mention the Belgian network this has me wondering if you could connect further to France to enable you to get from a ferry port to the Netherlands entirely on local buses. I wonder if any combination of buses from Dieppe or Calais or Dunkirk to Belgium exists so you could connect to De Lijn services and then connect with Dutch services.

DK'Bus run the local buses in Dunkerque, as well as a bus from Leffrinckoucke (at the edge of Dunkerque) to De Panne in Belgium. DK'Bus services are free of charge, even to Belgium. However there is no bus service to Dunkerque port, and in any case there is no foot passenger service. However, bikes are allowed. There are foot passenger ferries to Calais. Getting from Calais to Dunkerque requires a change of bus in Gravelines. Bus 423 from Calais to Gravelines runs about 8 times a day, fare 1 euro. Gravelines to Dunkerque is part of the DK'Bus network so is free of charge.

Going onwards from De Panne, the 56 bus is only every 2 hours. There is the frequent Kusttram (Coastal Tram) if you allow those, which is also valid on the De Lijn day ticket.

Veteran Member
Czechia and Slovakia have extensive "local" bus networks so it should be possible to do quite long distances. Planning connections would be another matter entirely, as co-ordination isn't a characteristic, so it could be a slow process.

By contrast, it might be difficult in eg Switzerland because public transport is integrated!

JonasB

Unfortunately there are no English subtitles but they certainly look like some interesting challenges. I am surprised how far you can travel on local buses seeing how rural parts of Sweden and Norway are. I wonder whether any connecting buses run to Denmark and Finland to enable a Denmark to Finland by local buses challenge.

There are local buses to Finland, but no local buses to Denmark due to geography.

You make a good point. Most other countries do not have such a clear distinction like we do. I think the UK is quite unique in having such a clear distinction between bus services and coach services. In fact i think it is mainly an England and Wales thing as Scotland and Northern Ireland and the Republic Of Ireland do not really have this distinction as much as we do. But you make a good point about how you define local bus services. I suppose i would say a local bus service is something run as part of the public transport network. So something like Flixbus or Megabus or National Express which runs as a long distance express service and offers pre booking is clearly not a local bus. But in some European countries like you mention it does seem to get a bit blurred with some operators using coaches and running long distance services but still being part of the local public transport network. It is much more complex than i thought once you look at other countries.

The definition probably varies between countries as well. In Sweden I'd say that is a clear distinction between buses operated by a regional transport authority and buses(coaches) run on a for profit-basis, such as Flixbus. But the actual vehicles vary a lot, if you have a look through the video I posted he used both double deckers that would not look odd on a Flixbus route, and a small Mercedes Sprinter on a route that ran 6 times daily.

stadler

After reading a post in the other linked thread i decided to look at the USA and Canada and am very surprised by how far you can get. Normally the USA and Canada are known for awful non existent public transport. But surprisingly some areas do have a lot of local buses that link up.

--------

Surprisingly it appears you can almost get all the way from Squamish in Canada (North of Vancouver) to Tijuana in Mexico (just over the border) entirely by local buses. Unfortunately there is one small gap in the far South of California between Pechanga (South part of Riverside County) and Pala (North part of San Diego County) of about six miles. This would require about a 120 minute walk (or 90 minutes if you are a fast walker) or a taxi ride. But if you allow that short walk then you could do entirely Canada to Mexico by local bus. But even if you do not allow the walk you can still do Squamish to Pechanga which is almost at the Mexico border.

Squamish (Canada) to Tijuana (Mexico):

To: Brunswick Beach, British Columbia, Canada
Route: Squamish Connector
Operator: Squamish Connector
Fare: CAD35.00

To: Caulfeild, British Columbia, Canada
Route: 262
Operator: Translink
Fare: CAD3.15

To: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Route: 253

To: Marine Drive, British Columbia, Canada
Route: 22

To: 22nd Street, British Columbia, Canada
Route: 100

To: Scottsdale, British Columbia, Canada
Route: 340

To: Newton, British Columbia, Canada
Route: R6 or 301 or 319 or 322

To: Surrey Central, British Columbia, Canada
Route: R1 or 321 or 325 or 394

To: Aldergrove, British Columbia, Canada
Route: 503

To: Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
Route: 21
Operator: BC Transit
Fare: CAD2.25

To: Huntingdon, British Columbia, Canada
Route: 3
Operator: BC Transit
Fare: CAD2.25

****3 Minute Walk From Bus Stop To Border****

CANADA TO USA BORDER

****3 Minute Walk From Border To Bus Stop****

To: Bellingham, Whatcom County, Washington
Route: 71X
Operator: Whatcom Transit
Fare: USD1.00

To: Mount Vernon, Skagit County, Washington
Route: 80X
Operator: Skagit Transit or Whatcom Transit
Fare: USD2.00

To: Everett, Snohomish County, Washington
Route: 90X
Operator: Skagit Transit

To: Aurora Village, King County, Washington
Route: Swift Blue Line
Operator: Community Transit
Fare: USD2.50

To: Seattle, King County, Washington
Route: Rapid Ride E Line
Operator: King County Metro
Fare: USD2.75

To: Tukwila, King County, Washington
Route: 124

To: Federal Way, King County, Washington
Route: Rapid Ride A Line

To: Tacoma, Pierce County, Washington
Route: 500 or 501
Operator: Pierce Transit

To: Lakewood, Pierce County, Washington
Route: 2 or 3 or 48
Operator: Pierce Transit

To: Olympia, Thurston County, Washington
Route: 620
Operator: Intercity Transit
Fare: USD0.00

To: Aberdeen, Grays Harbor County, Washington
Route: 40
Operator: Grays Harbor Transit

To: Raymond, Pacific County, Washington,
Route: 14
Operator: Pacific Transit
Fare: USD1.50

To: Astoria, Clatsop County, Oregon
Route: 50
Operator: Pacific Transit

To: Seaside, Clatsop County, Oregon
Route: 101
Operator: Sunset Empire Transportation District

To: Cannon Beach, Clatsop County, Oregon
Route: 20
Operator: Sunset Empire Transportation District

To: Tillamook, Tillamook County, Oregon
Route: 3
Operator: Tillamook County Transportation District

To: Lincoln City, Lincoln County, Oregon
Route: 4
Operator: Tillamook County Transportation District

To: Newport, Lincoln County, Oregon
Route: North County
Operator: Lincoln County Transit
Fare: USD3.00

To: Yachats, Lincoln County, Oregon
Route: South County
Operator: Lincoln County Transit
Fare: USD3.00

To: Florence, Lane County, Oregon
Route: Florence Yachats Connector
Operator: Link Lane

To: North Bend, Coos County, Oregon
Route: Florence Express
Operator: Coos County Area Transit
Fare: USD8.00

To: Smith River, Del Norte County, California
Route: Coastal Express
Operator: Curry County Public Transit
Fare: USD24.00

To: Eureka, Humboldt County, California
Route: 20
Operator: Redwood Coast Transit
Fare: USD12.00

To: Ukiah, Mendocino County, California
Route: Redwood Coast Express
Operator: Humboldt Transit Authority

To: Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, California
Route: 65
Operator: Mendocino Transit Authority
Fare: USD18.00

To: San Francisco, San Francisco County, California
Route: 101 or 164 or 172 or 172X
Operator: Golden Gate Transit
Fare: USD14.25

To: San Mateo, San Mateo County, California
Route: 292
Operator: Sam Trans
Fare: USD2.25

To: Palo Alto, Santa Clara County, California
Route: ECR
Operator: Sam Trans

To: San Jose, Santa Clara County, California
Route: 22 or 522
Operator: VTA

To: Gilroy, Santa Clara County, California
Route: 68
Operator: VTA

To: Salinas, Monterey County, California
Route: 29
Operator: Monterey Salinas Transit

To: King City, Monterey County, California
Route: 23 or 23X

To: Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo County, California
Route: 84

To: San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo County, California
Route: 9
Operator: RTA
Fare: USD3.25

To: Santa Maria, Santa Barbara County, California
Route: 10
Fare: USD3.25

To: Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara County, California
Route: 223 or 224
Operator: Clean Air Express
Fare: USD7.00

To: Ventura, Ventura County, California
Route: 80 or 80X or 81 or 81B or 84 or 84U
Operator: VCTC
Fare: USD4.00

To: Simi Valley, Ventura County, California
Route: 77
Operator: VCTC
Fare: USD1.75

To: Chatsworth, Los Angeles County, California
Operator: Simi Valley Transit

To: North Hollywood, Los Angeles County, California
Route: G
Operator: Metro

To: Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California
Route: 94
Operator: Metro

To: Montclair, San Bernardino County, California
Route: 699 or SS
Operator: Foothill Transit

To: Riverside, Riverside County, California
Route: 204

To: Perris, Riverside County, California

To: Temecula, Riverside County, California
Route: 61

To: Pechanga Resort, Riverside County, California
Route: 24

××××
BREAK - 6 MILES - NO BUSES
Walk: 2 Hour Walk
Or
Taxi: 15 Minute Drive
BREAK - 6 MILES - NO BUSES
××××

To: Escondido, San Diego County, California
Route: 388
Operator: NCTD

To: San Diego, San Diego County, California
Route: 235 or 280
Operator: MTS
Fare: USD2.50 (235) or USD5.00 (280)

To: Iris Avenue, San Diego County, California
Route: 929

To: San Ysidro, San Diego County, California
Route: 906 or 907

USA TO MEXICO BORDER

****3 Minute Walk From Bus Stop To Border****

CANADA TO USA BORDER

****3 Minute Walk From Border To Bus Stop****

Tijuana, Mexico
(Possibly Local Buses Here)

If anyone knows of any local buses that i have missed covering the Pechanga to Pala gap then do let me know. But i suspect there is nothing.

It is impossible to find out any information online (at least not by searching in the English language) but i wonder if you could continue further South from Tijuana by local buses. Tijana is a huge city so there must be local buses. Possibly you could continue to Rosarito or even as far as Ensenada maybe. But i am not sure as information anout local buses in Tijuana is impossible to find online.

--------

You can also get from North Beverly in Massachusetts (North of Boston) to Spotsylvania in Virginia (South of Washington DC) entirely by local buses. This is the second longest possible route anywhere in the USA i would presume.

North Beverly (Massachusetts) to Spotsylvania (Virginia):

To: Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts
Route: 451
Operator: MBTA
Fare: USD1.70

To: Revere, Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Route: 450 or 450W

To: Chelsea, Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Route: 116 or 117

To: Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Route: 111

To: Fitchburg, Worcester County, Massachusetts
Route: Boston Shuttle
Operator: MART
Fare: USD12.00

To: Gardner, Worcester County, Massachusetts
Route: Intercity MWCC or Intercity Express

To: Athol, Worcester County, Massachusetts
Route: Gardner Athol Link

To: Orange, Franklin County, Massachusetts
Route: Athol Orange Shuttle

To: Greenfield, Franklin County, Massachusetts
Route: 32
Operator: FRTA

To: Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts
Route: 23
Operator: FRTA

To: Holyoke, Hampshire County, Massachusetts
Route: B48
Operator: PVTA

To: Springfield, Hampshire County, Massachusetts
Route: P20 or P21 or P21E

To: Enfield, Hartford County, Connecticut
Route: G5

To: Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut
Route: 905
Operator: CT Transit
Fare: USD4.10

To: New Haven, New Haven County Connecticut
Route: 950
Fare: USD6.00

To: CT Post Mall, New Haven County Connecticut
Route: 261 or 261X

To: Norwalk, Fairfield County, Connecticut
Route: Coastal Link
Operator: GBT or MTD or NTD

To: Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut
Route: 341

To: Port Chester, Westchester County, New York
Route: 311

To: Fordham, Bronx County, New York
Route: 61
Operator: Bee Line

To: Inwood 207 St, New York County, New York
Route: BX12
Operator: MTA
Fare: USD2.90

To: Harlem MLK Blvd, New York County, New York
Route: M100

To: New York City, New York County, New York
Route: M11

To: Elizabeth, Union County, New Jersey
Route: 112
Operator: New Jersey Transit
Fare: USD7.00

To: Woodbridge Mall, Middlesex County, New Jersey
Route: 48
Fare: USD3.15

To: New Brunswick, Middlesex County, New Jersey
Route: 810 or 815
Fare: USD2.55 (810) or USD3.80 (815)

To: Junction 8A, Middlesex County, New Jersey
Route: M1
Operator: Middlesex County Area Transit

To: Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey
Route: 130
Operator: Greater Mercer Transportation Management

To: Oxford Valley Mall, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Route: 127
Operator: SEPTA

To: Frankford, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
Route: 14

To: Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
Route: 5

To: 69th Street, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
Route: 21

To: Claymont, New Castle County, Delaware
Route: 113

To: Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware
Route: 13
Operator: DART

To: Newark, New Castle County, Delaware
Route: 6 or 10 or 33 or 42
Operator: DART

To: Elkton, Cecil County, Maryland
Route: 4
Operator: Cecil Transit

To: Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland
Route: 2
Operator: Cecil Transit

To: Aberdeen, Harford County, Maryland
Operator: Harford Transit

To: Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland
Route: 420

To: Columbia, Howard County, Maryland
Route: 310 or 320
Fare: USD5.00

To: Washington, District Of Columbia
Route: 305 or 315 or 325

To: Garrisonville, Stafford County, Virginia
Route: 541 or 942 or 943
Operator: Omni Ride
Fare: USD9.00

To: Stafford, Stafford County, Virgina
Route: D3
Operator: FXBGO
Fare: USD1.25

To: Fredricksburg, Spotsylvania County, Virginia
Route: D5

To: Lees Hill Corner, Spotsylvania County, Virginia
Route: F2 or F3

To: Spotsylvania, Spotsylvania County, Virginia
Route: S4

I am surprised you can not get any further North though. As the Boston area is quite a big urban area so i expected more local buses going beyond North Beverly but i can find nothing.

--------

I also looked in Florida and surprisingly you can get from Key West (the islands in the far South of Florida) all the way to Sebastian (in the far North of Indian River County) entirely by local buses. I also looked to see if you could get further and you can almost get to Lakeland in Polk County if it was not for three short gaps. The three gaps are all ten or twenty minutes drive but a couple hours walk. So if you are willing to walk or take a taxi to cover these three short gaps then Key West to Lakeland is possible but otherwise only Key West to Sebastian is possible.

Key West (Florida) to Sebastian (Florida):

To: Marathon, Monroe County, Florida
Route: Lower Keys Shuttle
Operator: Key West Transit

To: Florida City, Dade County, Florida
Route: 301
Operator: Miami Dade Transit Metrobus
Fare: USD2.65

To: Dadeland South, Dade County, Florida
Route: 34 or 38

To: Miami, Dade County, Florida
Route: 400

To: Aventura Mall, Dade County, Florida
Route: 3 or 9 or 9A or 203

To: Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida
Route: 1
Operator: Broward County Transit

To: Boca Raton, Palm Beach County, Florida
Operator: Broward County Transit

To: The Gardens Mall, Palm Beach County, Florida
Operator: Palm Tran

To: Indian River College, Martin County, Florida
Route: 20X
Operator: Marty

To: Treasure Coast Mall, Martin County, Florida
Operator: Marty

To: Fort Pierce, Port Saint Lucie County, Florida,
Operator: Saint Lucie County Area Regional Transit

To: IG Center, Indian River County, Florida
Route: 7
Operator: Saint Lucie County Area Regional Transit

To: Indian River Mall, Indian River County, Florida
Route: 7
Operator: Go Line

To: North County Hub, Indian River County, Florida
Route: 9

To: Sebastian River MC, Indian River County, Florida

××××
BREAK - 14 MILES - NO BUS ROUTES
Walk: 4 Hour Walk
Or
Taxi: 20 Minute Drive
BREAK - 14 MILES - NO BUS ROUTES
××××

To: Hammock Landing, Brevard County, Florida
Operator: 321 Transit

To: Melbourne, Brevard County, Florida
Route: 25

To: Viera, Brevard County, Florida

To: Titusville, Brevard County, Florida

To: Cape Canaveral Cemetery, Brevard County, Florida

××××
BREAK - 8 MILES - NO BUS ROUTES
Walk: 2 Hour Walk
Or
Taxi: 10 Minute Drive
BREAK - 8 MILES - NO BUS ROUTES
××××

To: New Smyrna Beach, Volusia County, Florida
Route: 41
Operator: Vo Tran

To: Port Orange, Volusia County, Florida
Route: 40

To: Daytona Beach, Volusia County, Florida
Route: 4 or 7 or 12 or 17B

To: Deland, Volusia County, Florida
Route: 60

To: Debary, Volusia County, Florida
Route: 31

××××
BREAK - 4 MILES - NO BUSES
Walk: 1 Hour Walk
or
Taxi: 5 Minute Drive
BREAK - 4 MILES - NO BUSES
××××

To: Sanford Station, Seminole County, Florida
Route: 46W
Operator: Lynx

To: Seminole Center, Seminole County, Florida
Route: 34

To: Fern Park, Seminole County, Florida
Route: 103

To: Orlando, Orange County, Florida
Route: 102

To: Kissimmee, Osceola County, Florida
Route: 18 or 441

To: Poinciana, Osceola County, Florida
Route: 26

To: Haines City, Polk County, Florida
Route: 16X
Operator: Citrus Connection

To: Winter Haven, Polk County, Florida
Route: 15

To: Lakeland, Polk County, Florida
Route: 12

Unfortunately getting to Tampa or Jacksonville seems to be impossible with huge gaps that could definitely not be covered by walking and would take a much longer drive. Surprisingly nothing exists from Lakeland to Tampa but i suppose this is somewhere where everyone has cars.

--------

Not quite as impressive but i was surprised to see that you can get from Happy Valley (North of Phoenix) to Green Valley (South Of Tucson) entirely by local buses. This is quite a far distance especially in a state with very little public transport.

Happy Valley (Arizona) to Green Valley (Arizona):

To: Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona
Route: 19 or 35
Operator: Valley Metro

To: Desert Sky Mall, Maricopa County, Arizona

To: Ajo, Pima County, Arizona
Route: 685

To: Tucson, Pima County, Arizona
Route: 486
Operator: Sun Tran

To: Green Valley, Pima County, Arizona
Route: 421X
Operator: Sun Tran

It is a very indirect route. In terms of mileage it goes a very long way round and probably covers double the amount of miles than if you were to drive.

--------

Looking in to this has made my grateful at how good our publicity is in the UK. In the USA there are no sites like bustimes so you have to search for each individual operators websites. But the terrible thing is reading the timetables. They are written so poorly. So many of them have extremely vague descriptions of stops like "Walmart" without even telling you what town or location it is in and you have to work it out yourself. Then where multiple operators serve the same stop they will often use completely different names. Some of the maps provided are extremely vague too. Then you have the fact that everything is written in the 12hr clock instead of the 24hr clock making it easy to look at the wrong times. The publicity and timetables are awful in the USA.

U-Bahnfreund

Venlo (and actually the entire North Limburg area) has surprisingly little cross border buses. Probably due to the narrow strip of land between Maas and border with some hills, resulting in all villages being along one road with little east-west roadways.
Though there is route 1 to Kaldenkirchen from where you could get further into Germany.
There's also the 29 to Neukirchen-Vluyn, Vluyner Südring. It used to be a through service with the 929 to Duisburg which now starts at Vluyner Südring, but it's been split in 2017. I don't really know what's the point of this strange route now connecting Venlo with Neukirchen-Vluyn

nwales58

There's also the 29 to Neukirchen-Vluyn, Vluyner Südring. ... I don't really know what's the point of this strange route now connecting Venlo with Neukirchen-Vluyn
Shopping maybe? 3 times per day but times not suitable for work.

This started to intrigue me about buses in Germany and similar countries where networks are structured as feeders. Intermodal ticketing means there is no practical reason for not using feeder bus and regional trains (unlike here where sticking to buses can be very cheap or free over 60).

For Germany you seem to need either inter-town routes where there is no railway so the bus service is frequent and fast-ish, or paralleling a railway in built-up areas where buses exist but are slower. Otherwise there are frustrating gaps.

Starting at the most northerly point on the Danish border, N of Klanxbühl the simplest route I could find quickly needed several dog-legs: Niebühl Flensburg Schleswig Eckernförde Rendsburg Hohenwestedt Itzehoe Elmshorn Pinneberg Altona (somewhere S of the Elbe tunnel) Harburg ...

So you probably can get all the way to Oberstdorf or Mittenwald but it would take over a week as against a very long day on RE trains.

Last edited:

stadler

Turns out I made a small mistake: there is a bus between Susteren and Sittard going through that narrowest part, but no buses from Echt to Susteren as nothing is in between and Arriva operates both train and bus there nowadays, so there is no fare advantage in a parallel bus anymore.
There used to be a bus Weert - Sittard via Belgium, but that doesn't exist anymore.

For the Netherlands I just looked at services franchised under the Personenenvervoer 2000 act, which pretty much excludes coach services like Flixbus. Though indeed coaches on some long distance services do exist indeed.
Do you know of any websites where you can download network maps for the Netherlands bus networks? Are there any PDF maps available? I have found some for Belgium on the De Lijn site but can not seem to find any for the Netherlands once you cross the border. I am trying to plan from Calais to as far as you can get and have found routes to Oostburg so far but am struggling to work out the routes going further.

DK'Bus run the local buses in Dunkerque, as well as a bus from Leffrinckoucke (at the edge of Dunkerque) to De Panne in Belgium. DK'Bus services are free of charge, even to Belgium. However there is no bus service to Dunkerque port, and in any case there is no foot passenger service. However, bikes are allowed. There are foot passenger ferries to Calais. Getting from Calais to Dunkerque requires a change of bus in Gravelines. Bus 423 from Calais to Gravelines runs about 8 times a day, fare 1 euro. Gravelines to Dunkerque is part of the DK'Bus network so is free of charge.

Going onwards from De Panne, the 56 bus is only every 2 hours. There is the frequent Kusttram (Coastal Tram) if you allow those, which is also valid on the De Lijn day ticket.
Thank you for the information. I am surprised DK Bus is entirely free. I thought that Luxembourg was the only place in Europe with free public transport. But it seems not.

It looks like there is a short fifteen or twenty minute walk in Belgium between Adinkerke and De Panne required to get from the 20 bus to the 56 bus. There seems to be no buses covering this gap. But i still count this as the gap is very small. You can easily walk it very quickly.

Czechia and Slovakia have extensive "local" bus networks so it should be possible to do quite long distances. Planning connections would be another matter entirely, as co-ordination isn't a characteristic, so it could be a slow process.

By contrast, it might be difficult in eg Switzerland because public transport is integrated!
Interestingly i have just had a quick look at local bus routes there and found that the Czech Republic has some six digit route numbers! Those are the longest route numbers i have seen! I am trying to work it out but if Czech Republic and Slovakia have extensive local bus networks then maybe it is possible to get all the way from Calais to the far East of Slovakia by local buses. If it is possible then that may be the record for the longest distance you can travel by local buses.

There are local buses to Finland, but no local buses to Denmark due to geography.

The definition probably varies between countries as well. In Sweden I'd say that is a clear distinction between buses operated by a regional transport authority and buses(coaches) run on a for profit-basis, such as Flixbus. But the actual vehicles vary a lot, if you have a look through the video I posted he used both double deckers that would not look odd on a Flixbus route, and a small Mercedes Sprinter on a route that ran 6 times daily.
I must say i am very surprised at the lack of Denmark to Sweden local buses. The two large urban areas of Copenhagen and Malmo are directly opposite each other and even have suburban trains running multiple times an hour. I would have thought they would have local buses across the bridge and tunnel.

Sweden seems to be similar to Ireland and Northern Ireland in that coaches are very often used on local bus routes. I seem to recall that Bus Eireann and Translink do this a lot. I suppose it is good for passenger comfort but it is not so good for the elderly and disabled.

There's also the 29 to Neukirchen-Vluyn, Vluyner Südring. It used to be a through service with the 929 to Duisburg which now starts at Vluyner Südring, but it's been split in 2017. I don't really know what's the point of this strange route now connecting Venlo with Neukirchen-Vluyn
That is good to know you can reach Venlo to Duisburg in two buses. I am just trying to work out onward routes from the Netherlands and see how far in to Germany i can get. Can i also ask if you know of any websites to download bus maps for Germany for local buses? In particular the NRW area would be helpful?

Shopping maybe? 3 times per day but times not suitable for work.

This started to intrigue me about buses in Germany and similar countries where networks are structured as feeders. Intermodal ticketing means there is no practical reason for not using feeder bus and regional trains (unlike here where sticking to buses can be very cheap or free over 60).

For Germany you seem to need either inter-town routes where there is no railway so the bus service is frequent and fast-ish, or paralleling a railway in built-up areas where buses exist but are slower. Otherwise there are frustrating gaps.

Starting at the most northerly point on the Danish border, N of Klanxbühl the simplest route I could find quickly needed several dog-legs: Niebühl Flensburg Schleswig Eckernförde Rendsburg Hohenwestedt Itzehoe Elmshorn Pinneberg Altona (somewhere S of the Elbe tunnel) Harburg ...

So you probably can get all the way to Oberstdorf or Mittenwald but it would take over a week as against a very long day on RE trains.
That seems to be the case in large parts of Germany and Austria and Switzerland and some other European countries. Buses seem to be used to get you between the railway stations and somewhere without a railway rather than being used to compete with the railway. I suppose it makes sense as trains are quicker. But it does seem like it could be inconvenient for some as a direct bus route running parallel with a railway line can serve far more places along a railway line between stations.

philg999

Do you know of any websites where you can download network maps for the Netherlands bus networks? Are there any PDF maps available? I have found some for Belgium on the De Lijn site but can not seem to find any for the Netherlands once you cross the border.
There’s probably a better approach but I usually go to https://busposities.nl, open the ‘livekaart’, zoom in then out again so I can see which buses are operating in that region… then search for ‘lijnennetkaart’ on that operator’s website. Most of them have maps available.

Attachments

• IMG_2535.png
    IMG_2535.png
    732.9 KB · Views: 1

johncrossley

Established Member
Do you know of any websites where you can download network maps for the Netherlands bus networks? Are there any PDF maps available? I have found some for Belgium on the De Lijn site but can not seem to find any for the Netherlands once you cross the border. I am trying to plan from Calais to as far as you can get and have found routes to Oostburg so far but am struggling to work out the routes going further.

You can normally find maps on the website of each bus company or by searching for "lijnennetkaart" and then the province name. For example, the main bus operator in Zeeland (where Oostburg is) is Connexxion, and you can find all of their maps here.

If you are going east from there, the next province is Noord-Brabant, where the main operator is Arriva, using the Bravo branding, and their maps are here

The next province is Limburg, so searching for "limburg lijnennetkaart" gives you

https://www.arriva.nl/media/dsmlvnfi/web-arriva_midden-noord-limburg_495-x-678-mm_23-24_lowres.pdf for the north of the province
https://arriva-reisinfo.fis.nl/data/pdfs/Lijnennetkaart Arriva Regio Zuid-Limburg.pdf for the south

(note there is also a Limbug province in Belgium, so be careful!)

You can plan a route in the Netherlands using the 9292.nl website, removing all transport options other than bus.

When you are out there it is a good idea to use the OV-info app for real time departures.

If you are planning to travel across the Netherlands by bus only then it would be a good idea to know about the day tickets available. Generally there is a day ticket for each province which sometimes allows you to cross into the next province. Day tickets can usually be bought from the driver using bank cards only as cash is not accepted. You can touch in and touch out using a bank card but that will usually be more expensive for longer distances.

https://www.rover.nl/reistips/dagkaartenoverzicht has an overview of the day tickets available in each province (in Dutch, so use Google Translate or similar)

Thank you for the information. I am surprised DK Bus is entirely free. I thought that Luxembourg was the only place in Europe with free public transport. But it seems not.

Plenty of towns in France have free travel, some are free just for residents but most are free for everyone. Buses in Calais are also free for everybody. Tallin in Estonia has free travel for residents. There is a list of towns with free travel here, which looks incomplete for France at least

It looks like there is a short fifteen or twenty minute walk in Belgium between Adinkerke and De Panne required to get from the 20 bus to the 56 bus. There seems to be no buses covering this gap. But i still count this as the gap is very small. You can easily walk it very quickly.

The Kusttram stops at De Panne railway station ("Adinkerke gare" in the French bus timetable) so you can get the frequent tram from there to De Panne town centre for the 56, and you are allowed to change from one to the other for free on a single ticket or by contactless (as long as it is within an hour).

Last edited:

DanielB

You can normally find maps on the website of each bus company or by searching for "lijnennetkaart" and then the province name. For example, the main bus operator in Zeeland (where Oostburg is) is Connexxion, and you can find all of their maps here.
Alternative option, which I used for the earlier suggestions, is to visit the OV in Nederland wiki which has route information for any bus in the Netherlands. For Zeeland, see an overview of routes here: https://wiki.ovinnederland.nl/wiki/Concessie_Zeeland_(2015-2026)

On the route pages bus stations are a link which leads to an overview of other routes on that bus station. Not as easy as maps, but also gives an idea of how frequent a bus runs.
For the maps themselves, the previous posters already gave good suggestions.
If you are planning to travel across the Netherlands by bus only then it would be a good idea to know about the day tickets available. Generally there is a day ticket for each province which sometimes allows you to cross into the next province. Day tickets can usually be bought from the driver using bank cards only as cash is not accepted. You can touch in and touch out using a bank card but that will usually be more expensive for longer distances.
Be aware many regions will stop selling paper tickets on buses later this year. Day tickets may however still be available as chipcard product or from ticket and service desks.

Taunton

Established Member
It is impossible to find out any information online (at least not by searching in the English language) but i wonder if you could continue further South from Tijuana by local buses. Tijana is a huge city so there must be local buses. Possibly you could continue to Rosarito or even as far as Ensenada maybe. But i am not sure as information anout local buses in Tijuana is impossible to find online.

Looking in to this has made my grateful at how good our publicity is in the UK. In the USA there are no sites like bustimes so you have to search for each individual operators websites. But the terrible thing is reading the timetables. They are written so poorly. So many of them have extremely vague descriptions of stops like "Walmart" without even telling you what town or location it is in and you have to work it out yourself. Then where multiple operators serve the same stop they will often use completely different names. Some of the maps provided are extremely vague too. Then you have the fact that everything is written in the 12hr clock instead of the 24hr clock making it easy to look at the wrong times. The publicity and timetables are awful in the USA.
I've not been to Tijuana and south thereof for some time, but there certainly was then a very substantial bus system in Mexico, far more than in the USA. Very independent, bitty and unpublicised, but is there, both for long distance and local area. The concept of timetables is somewhat lost, they are more of the 'leave when full' approach. I've certainly gone down to Ensenada and back this way. The number of through long distance buses at least claiming to be going to Mexico City, about a 3 day drive, was also extraordinary.

City buses in Tijuana were likewise independent operators, with (also typical of Mexico) secondhand USA vehicles, some still with their former owners' branding and including former school buses, although over time as in other third world countries there are an increasing proportion of freelance stop-anywhere minibuses, which the USA has always called Jitneys from when they challenged city streetcars in the 1930s, but in Mexico are termed Taxis. The same term is used for proper taxis.

There were at least two mainstream bus stations in Tijuana, and maybe more I never found. Large open areas with heavy maintenance and junked vehicles across the way, plus a few decidedly concerning accident wrecks fully on view.