• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Merry-le-bone GEN update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi all as you knw this tour was T+T 37+33 then it was 37+37 its now 37+33 again because a 33 has become avalible 37516 and 33207 should be on this tour now.

Ive also receved a text saying that I can steward :) :D

See you all on sat

Ian

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phoenix

Established Member
Hi all as you knw this tour was T+T 37+33 then it was 37+37 its now 37+33 again because a 33 has become avalible 37516 and 33207 should be on this tour now.

Ive also receved a text saying that I can steward :) :D

See you all on sat

Ian

Got any ideas on which loco will lead the first leg to London ?

Established Member
Got any ideas on which loco will lead the first leg to London ?

I don't think anyway has to be honest, WCRC don't conform traction in advance just try and provide what is requested, keep your eye on the ECs tomorrow I guess.

Phoenix

Established Member
I don't think anyway has to be honest, WCRC don't conform traction in advance just try and provide what is requested, keep your eye on the ECs tomorrow I guess.

Apprently they can even get changed around after the ecs so I will have to wait for the gen reports but got my fingers crossed on the 33 leading.

Established Member
Apprently they can even get changed around after the ecs so I will have to wait for the gen reports but got my fingers crossed on the 33 leading.

On the outward would that be? Personally that would suit me as well as I then have the choice of a leap on 37516 after a trip to Llangollen for 37240.

Established Member
Could Be 33 leads to Walsall, 37 leads out into london, then 33 does the mini tour and 37 takes it back then 33 leads it to walsall, who knows we`ll soon find out

Drimnagh Road

Received an e-mail saying that 37516 is leading on 5Z37 10:45 Carnforth-Doncaster. Assuming that 516 arrives on the front at Donny, (which it should do as there's no reversals on the e.c.s. route) it then depends on the route that it takes over to Worksop.

If it goes Donny-Sheffield with the 37, (rev) Sheffield-Worksop with the 33 (rev) then the 37 leads out of Worksop into to London.

or...

Doncaster-Worksop direct via the freight only route Decoy North Junction-Firbeck Junction-Brancliffe E. Junction in which case the 37 will lead to Worksop with 33 leading into London.

I know we'll just have to "wait and see", only reason why I am so anxious is because I am doing the return northbound trip only and need 37516 to be at the front.

Established Member
Could Be 33 leads to Walsall, 37 leads out into london, then 33 does the mini tour and 37 takes it back then 33 leads it to walsall, who knows we`ll soon find out

There is no reversal at Walsall.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Received an e-mail saying that 37516 is leading on 5Z37 10:45 Carnforth-Doncaster. Assuming that 516 arrives on the front at Donny, (which it should do as there's no reversals on the e.c.s. route) it then depends on the route that it takes over to Worksop.

If it goes Donny-Sheffield with the 37, (rev) Sheffield-Worksop with the 33 (rev) then the 37 leads out of Worksop into to London.

or...

Doncaster-Worksop direct via the freight only route Decoy North Junction-Firbeck Junction-Brancliffe E. Junction in which case the 37 will lead to Worksop with 33 leading into London.

I know we'll just have to "wait and see", only reason why I am so anxious is because I am doing the return northbound trip only and need 37516 to be at the front.

ECS is Donny - Reftord (rev) - Worksop apparently so should be 33207 outward, 37516 rtn providing they stay the way round they are on the ECS.

General Zod

Just went through High Wycombe at this very moment. I did not catch the leading engine but the tail was the 37.

Established Member
33 led the outward, 37 on the rtn, one of the cables got snaged on a tree I think and we lost the gererator in the 1st class Mk2`s (they always seem to break) so everything was dark in there.

Was a very hellfire tour the driver really opened it up after the SSO at Wembley and at quainton rd :D

Last edited:

General Zod

Saw it racing through High Wycombe at a fair rate of knots on the way to Quainton Rd - lots of hellfire and clag !!!

Established Member
Hope you enjoyed the Llangollen! :lol:

Not to impressed, in the Black Lion at Consall though by 1730 though ready for Sundays day out with 075 which due to a points failure ended up becoming a top and tail with the kettle day, bit of a farce this weekend.

Ferret

Established Member
Should've done the tour then Seed! That was farce free if you discount the BTP arresting some fruitloop after an SSO at Wembley Stadium and the usual WCRC lighting farce!!!:)

Established Member
Should've done the tour then Seed! That was farce free if you discount the BTP arresting some fruitloop after an SSO at Wembley Stadium and the usual WCRC lighting farce!!!:)

Yeah but wanted to go to Churnet last night as a few people were coming over and staying at a B&B in Cheddleton and we all had food at the Black Lion so more a sociable occasion than anything, still got 240 in anyway even if it was for much less than we expected.

Drimnagh Road

37516 was a winner for me and certainly the best sounding 37 I've travelled behind in a few years.

West Coast Railways certainly can provide good locos but yet again let their customer down with the stock. That's the third railtour in a year that I have been on where their coaches have caused problems, or to be specific, the lighting have caused problems.

At one stage last night it was feared that the tour would be cut short, lucky this did not happen in the end. On heritage railtours, we expect that if anything is to break down it will be the engine, but not the coaches.

Regarding the patronage, well I was surprised at the low turnout. We bounced all the way back to Worksop. I can think of a few reasons, although of course I could be very wrong.

Normals:
For a start there was only five pick up points, and areas that perhaps are generally left off the railtour map, so there would not be as much guaranteed business. However fair play to the organiser for tapping into an untouched area. Also, travelling home today through the Robin Hood line in daylight it seems that the towns of Mansfield, Shirebrook and Worksop are not that big, so it may never have a big enough customer base.

Normals sat in first class had to be moved into a standard coach with lights, who I'm sure were not best pleased. I expect a first tour not to have a huge amount of patronage, and if normals have a good trip then they will spread the word and gradually a tour operator builds up loyalty and a good reputation. I suspect that there were some unhappy normals last night. Not the organisers fault but he will be the one who suffers ultimately due to their supplier letting them down.

Also, a 50 minute late arrival into Worksop for unknown reasons didn't help either. The Robin Hood line is such a stagger.

Enthusiasts
Fussy as we are, the traction would have put a lot of cranks from doing it. For example I know that when the tour reverted to been 33 & 37 traction, this put a lot of 37 fans off doing it, and when they heard about 37s going to Weymouth, it was obvious what was more attractive as there was 37 haulage both ways. I know from myself, that had it been the 33 going northbound, I would not have done it.

Established Member
getting the Sutton Park line in was cool, I was going "hey I know that place" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.