• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The sole surviving 502

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertclark125

Established Member
Any word on how things are progressing with the sole surviving Class 502 EMU from the Merseyrail? In particular, is it still at Tebay?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
I think you have to start wondering about preservation of a 507 unit, (507001)... I think it is rather difficult to preserve EMUs in Merseyside, mainly as you have no, or very little chance of finding a siding/location suitable to store it with a DC supply and railtours on the Merseyrail network are virtually unheard off. I suppose you could get a class 73 and take it out and about...

Taking it away from Merseyside seems to defeat the point of preservation IMO. It's not just about the physical units, it's the history associated with it/them.

Won't be long until they are retired after tireless years of service on Merseyside, (2017 allegedly).

duffman82

I hope they perserve both types of unit 507 and 508 but again the problem arises. Where to put it ? I'm suppose the national collection might want one but there are some many BREL types like 313, 314 and 315, they may not make the cut. But saying that East Lancs has a 501 from the old 3rd rail route to bury so there could be hope.

Dreadnought

But saying that East Lancs has a 501 from the old 3rd rail route to bury so there could be hope.

Its actually a 504 unit, 501s were used on the DC services out of Euston & Broad Street.

The Electric Railway Museum at Coventry Airport have a 501 & a 503 unit amongst their stock list.

507 001

Established Member
As a member of the Friends of the class 502 society I feel I should explain the situation.

The unit had a place at preston when steamport moved there but the NRM said no it would be too far from its original home. So what did they do? Dumped it in Kineton :roll:
Unfortunately Tebay was the only place we could find at extremely short notice. If anybody knows of somewhere closer to Liverpool, please do tell.
At the moment physical restoration of the units is very difficult, due to the nature of the location so most of our time has been dedicated to cataloguing the vast amount of spare parts and attepting to determine whether they come from the 502 or the 503 that is in coventry.

As for the condition, well;

1) there are no corrosion free body panels on the entire unit.
2) The interior is full of pidgeon poo and rubbish.
3) Most of the windows are smashed
4) The doors are in ok condition but most are completely jammed.
5) The front end of the motor car has almost completely disintegrated.
6) The bogies appear to be ok
7) The electrical equipment located below the solebar appears to be in remarkably good condition, but what the state of the wiring is we don't yet know.

As you can see it will be a big job, and there is no hope of running it under its own power, especially if the stories about the wiring are to be believed.
At best we can hope to run the unit as loco hauled coaching stock at a preserved railway.

Please if you are interested in the unit and are willing to lend a hand with the mountain of work that we need to do consider joining us! Thank you. http://www.class502.org.uk/
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
oh and from what I've heard, merseyrail are indeed considering preserving both a 507 and 508. I only hope they don't go the same way as the 502 and 503 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.