• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Theoretical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatcherZero

Established Member
A theoretical question of capacity

I have a line end to end journey time approx 50 minutes, there will be 6 half hourly services departing the northern terminus between 6:30am and 9am operated by 4 trains. It is expected there will be upto 6000 passengers travelling southbound in the morning and 3000 travelling northbound. 60% of the southbound travellers will be going to the terminus and they will join fairly evenly at stops during the first 25m of the journey. Assume normal morning peak travel patterns with the busiest services being the 7:30am and the 8am.

How long a vehicle do I need with what seating capacity?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
How many stations are there, and their respective intervals

Is the 6000 passengers , the total per day or per service?
I would suspect 6 coaches for the peak period, and 3 coaches for the off-peak period, would be sufficient assuming a seating capacity of 70 per coach

The Planner

Veteran Member
3600 arriving at the terminus over the 6.30-9.00am peak. You need to assume a value for the busiest 7.30 and 8.00 departures. Say 40% go for those two, thats 1440 people on those two trains at the terminus. 720 on each of the highest loaded train ?? 8 or 9 cars I reckon, including the poor sods standing.

You could do this with 4 trains, assuming a 10 minute turn-around at each end.

Train 1 does the 6.30 from the North, forms the 7.30 from the South, then the 8.30 from the North.
Train 2 does the 6.30 from the South, forms the 7.30 from the North, then the 8.30 from the South.
Train 3 does the 7.00 from the North, forms the 8.00 from the South, then the 9.00 from the North.
Train 4 does the 7.00 from the South, forms the 8.00 from the North, then the 9.00 from the South.

ukrob

Established Member
Is this purely theoretical, or are you trying to work out what would be needed for a commuter service on the East Lancs then joining Metrolink?

WatcherZero

Established Member
UKrob sees through me, I was thinking the 6000 estimate was way too high compared to other transport corridors in the area, especielly when you look at what would be required to service it. The DEMU they propose to run it would have to be huge.

ukrob

Established Member
UKrob sees through me, I was thinking the 6000 estimate was way too high compared to other transport corridors in the area, especielly when you look at what would be required to service it. The DEMU they propose to run it would have to be huge.

I agree.

I think it is a total non-starter for many reasons.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Its a pity ELR isnt more open and I could actually see what was proposed in detail and judge its practicality on the content.

All we know outside the ELR is £30m cost and the proposed timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.