• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thousands volunteer for Coronavirus vaccination trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
A few thousand are volunteering to be exposed according to this article.

Rohrig is one of more than 16,000 people -- most of them young adults -- who have signaled their support for a controversial method of speeding up the development of a vaccine by intentionally infecting dozens of volunteers. The signees of the online registry -- a new website called 1 Day Sooner -- have all checked a box next to the statement: "I am interested in being exposed to the coronavirus to speed up vaccine development."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Although a scientist I am too old -63- and have had pneumonia twice in the last 20 years so I am above average risk anyway. Coupled that with the fact my wife is a lifelong asthmatic and thus very high risk I am not volunteering either.

JonathanP

It will be interesting to see if any such trials are judged ethically justifiable. Up till now what I heard is that this is unlikely. As a layman it's a bit difficult to follow the science, but as I understand it a 'bad' vaccine doesn't simply not work, it can make things worse. This is because it can cause an uneven immune response, where for instance cells to trap the virus are generated, but no antibodies are produced to subsequently kill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.