• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket vaildity question: On chiltern trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR :D

I want to have a ticket that goes from Birmingham to London, since as far as I know, no mainline train stops on Harrow on Hill train station.

So, is it allowed for me to go from Birmingham to London Marylebone then get on different train back to Harrow on Hill station?

I assume it will be valid as Harrow on Hill is part of mainline and my ticket is valid for all stations on the mainline as someone has told me.

The ticket is super/normal off-peak.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Harrow/Hill is not on the 'main line,' it is on the Aylesbury - Marylebone via Amersham line. To travel via Aylesbury on a Birmingham - London Terminals ticket is not permitted.

If you want to go via Zone 1 then you will need to purchase a Birmingham to Zone U1245 ticket, priced at £33.20 Super Off-peak (via. High Wycombe) or £52.50 Off-peak (Any Permitted).

An alternative option would be to buy a London Terminals ticket (£25.00 / £43.30) and Oyster PAYG for £2.70 Off-peak each way.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Harrow/Hill is not on the 'main line,' it is on the Aylesbury - Marylebone via Amersham line. To travel via Aylesbury on a Birmingham - London Terminals ticket is not permitted.

Due to the existence of Easement 30039, travel via Aylesbury is permitted on a Birmingham Stations - London Terminals ticket routed either Any Permitted or High Wycombe.

The OP may stop short at Harrow-on-the-Hill as none of the fares for the above flows has BoJ restriction applied. There is no need to travel into central London.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
If you were on a mainline train coming from Birmingham, wouldn't that mean you had to change at Banbury (or possibly Bicester North), Princes Risborough and Aylesbury in order to go that way? No mainline trains stop at Princes Risborough - my interpretation was that the OP *wanted* to be able to go via London as it would be faster.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you were on a mainline train coming from Birmingham, wouldn't that mean you had to change at Banbury (or possibly Bicester North), Princes Risborough and Aylesbury in order to go that way? No mainline trains stop at Princes Risborough - my interpretation was that the OP *wanted* to be able to go via London as it would be faster.

I think the fact that OP stated "mainline" I would interpret as meaning they wish to travel on the fast "Mainline" branded services. So I'd think that travelling into Marylebone and then out again is what was intended.

You could do this on a Birmingham-London return, using the outward portion all the way to London, then the return as far as Harrow on the Hill. On the return journey you'd have to do as Indigo2 describes, since the return ticket is already used as far as Harrow on the Hill.

Alternatively, buy a new ticket (or use Oyster) for Marylebone-HotH, or buy a Birmingham-HotH return ticket (valid via Marylebone).

Status
Not open for further replies.