• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Manager Pre-course Study Advice?

azOOOOOma

Hello my lovelies! Amazing news - I’m starting as a TM in a few months with LNER at Newcastle! I’m absolutely buzzing.

I would like to be as prepared for the course as possible. I’m just wondering if anyone can give me any advice of where to start in terms of studying and in terms of route learning and sectionals. What level of detail are TM’s required to know when it comes to the route?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Laura x

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EZJ

Congratulations on your news!! My advice to you is don't do anything until you're on the course and they will guide you through exactly what you need to know.

Krokodil

Established Member
You aren't expected to have any prior knowledge beyond the Non-Technical Skills you would have demonstrated during your application.

PupCuff

It's generally best not to get yourself in too much of a tizzy trying to learn stuff before the training, a lot of information out there is wrong, outdated, or applies say to one train company but not another.

If you want to get yourself in the vibe, there's usually no harm in familiarising yourself with the geography of your new TOC and getting to grips with some of the railway jargon.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Learn nothing technical or rules related. You're not expected to know it and you run the risk of teaching yourself something that's wrong, and then it's hard to unlearn what you think you've taught yourself.

However;

Agree with practicing the phonetic alaphabet, learning that beforehand will help a bit.

If you're not already familiar with it, learn the 24hr clock. The railway runs on the 24hr clock.

Learning the geography of LNER is a good idea. As is the railway geography in general. But don't delve too deep in to this. Some familiarity will help.

Pilotman

First of all, congrats Laura in your new role. As another post suggests, it is best to wait until the course as it is tailored to the role's needs. Saying that it would involve an in-depth study of PTS to get you going. There is a PTS course (Free) available at uktrainingsolutions.com which is comprehensive for drivers, it helped me.

Anything beyond PTS at the moment I would wait until you start. Enjoy :D

tiptoptaff

Established Member
First of all, congrats Laura in your new role. As another post suggests, it is best to wait until the course as it is tailored to the role's needs. Saying that it would involve an in-depth study of PTS to get you going. There is a PTS course (Free) available at uktrainingsolutions.com which is comprehensive for drivers, it helped me.

Anything beyond PTS at the moment I would wait until you start. Enjoy :D
Please don't read ahead for anything.

Krokodil

Established Member
From a customer service point of view, it is worth paying attention to staff you see travelling around. Don't pick up bad habits but notice the good and the bad approach to customer service. Which guards go out of their way to help passengers.

DominikM

Hello my lovelies! Amazing news - I’m starting as a TM in a few months with LNER at Newcastle! I’m absolutely buzzing.

I would like to be as prepared for the course as possible. I’m just wondering if anyone can give me any advice of where to start in terms of studying and in terms of route learning and sectionals. What level of detail are TM’s required to know when it comes to the route?

Laura x
Well done to you! I'm halfway through my host training, based at Newcastle, so I might be seeing you in the near future!

Undiscovered

You'll be taught all the things you need to know during your time in training school.
What you can do is look at the soft skills that guards exercise- how they do announcements, dealing with passenger queries, fare evaders or ticket irregularities etc. Those are the things that you learn on the job, so to speak. If you're not experienced with shift work, ask how others manage the demands of it, and what bits of kit they find useful- a decent travel mug and leak proof tupperware are essential!
When you get out working trains, under supervision, you'll be shown how the rules apply to the day to day operational railway, you'll be fine.

PeteBR

Hi Laura, first congratulations as having seen your posts over time I know you have been keen to gain a role on the railway. What I would say is relax you have done the hard work and have got the role you were after. Now. just focus on the training that will be delivered once you start, I appreciate your passion and put 100% into preparation but there really is no need. The course you will be in is comprehensive and the minders/mentors back at your depot will help with everything else. You've got the role, not just sit back and enjoy a bit of time before you start which I'm guessing is the first week in May.

Gerrard89

Laura x
Hi Laura

Just wondered if you could give me some info/tips if poss. I know you have recently got a role as TM with LNER. I have just been selected for the psychometric testing for the same role with LNER. Could you send me a direct message or give me some info on what tests they are? Also any info/tips on the interview if i was to make it that far would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!