• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Treatment of students at universities

Status
Not open for further replies.

david1212

Established Member
The locality where I live is only a few miles from the boundary to an area with additional social contact restrictions. Further it is a residential area for two universities a few miles north in the adjacent council area. As households form of students plus these households mix locally, on campus and on buses between the two the number of positive Covid-19 cases for the locality may well rise sharply.

There always has been two sectors
- those that welcome the students because they benefit in some way e.g. house rental, shops, pubs
- those who lives are disrupted the students e.g. car parking, noise returning late at night

If either my locality and/or the locality where the universities are ( which is also the locality where I work ) were added to those with additional social contact restrictions I can foresee significant resentment to the students from the residents.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ABB125

Established Member
I'm aware I'm digging up an old thread (well not that old!) but thought it better than creating a new one.

One of my flatmates has had a positive test result earlier today, and as a result we (all six) need to self-isolate. I though some of you might be interested in how the process goes here in Birmingham.
We've all filled in an online form (from the accommodation "department") to say we're isolating. Fairly easy to fill in. I've also filled one in for my department to let them know I won't be able to attend any in-person teaching; again this was easy to do (once I'd found the form!).
Early this afternoon we had a delivery from the university of food to last about two days (the only drinks provided were some skimmed and semi-skimmed long-life milk, and some orange juice), for free. This contains mostly frozen meals prepared by the university in-house, plus some things like Oreos and Pot Noodles and two pizzas. There's actually a rather good selection, catering for most tastes/diets, and I believe there are other options as well if requested.
So far it's been rather uneventful (albeit less than a day has passed!). I'm not quite clear on how long we need to isolate for: the positive testee's email says he needs 10 more days, so does everyone else need 10 days or 14 days? I've not yet found out. We are allowed out to dispose of rubbish (but only if you don't have any symptoms and/or have had a negative test result) and to collect parcels from the block door if the courier won't come to the flat door (I will point out that (with the exception of the postman) no couriers can actually get in to the blocks, so perhaps there's a bit of a lack of joined-up thinking here?), which is good. This does bring me to a potential issue for me: my room overlooks the car park, and is directly in the line of sight of anyone arriving; thus, I see all delivery drivers arrive, and they all see me (if they look), so I have gained the unofficial job of "door opener" for any deliveries, where the recipient hasn't already gone outside to meet the driver, so that the driver can get to their flat. It's usually the Hermes man who asks me, but others do too. (As an aside, it's quite interesting seeing the order of deliveries from the different companies: for example, we get DPD, DPD Local, Parcelforce (in a Northgate vehicle hire van), Hermes, DHL, UPS, Amazon, probably some others I've forgotten pretty much daily. I don't recall seeing any Yodel vans though!)
In terms of the effect on me, it's not particularly significant as the only things I generally go out for are any in-person lectures etc and shopping (there's not much going on to do!). Luckily I have a box set of the Game of Thrones books that I picked up in The Works for £30, that I perhaps sub-consciously bought for just this occasion; we'll have to see how I do as the days go by!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The isolation period is 10 days from positive test/start of symptoms if earlier for the person who tested positive, and 14 days from that date for everyone else. If anyone else gets symptoms during that period, they restart 10 days from that point (with a minimum of the original 14).

ABB125

Established Member
The isolation period is 10 days from positive test/start of symptoms if earlier for the person who tested positive, and 14 days from that date for everyone else. If anyone else gets symptoms during that period, they restart 10 days from that point (with a minimum of the original 14).
Right, sounds perfectly simple... :D
I'll assume 14 days, unless something happens in the meantime!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Out of interest, what are other countries doing with regard to Universities ? I noticed on my Firefox feed that the plight of our students has led to an article in the New York Times, so presumably other juristictions are doing things differently (apologies - article was behind a paywall so didn't get to read).

DelayRepay

Established Member
I noticed this article on the BBC NewsL

Covid: Student anger over 'junk' food parcels in isolation

Universities are facing anger from students over conditions some have faced while self-isolating in campus accommodation.

Students have criticised the cost and quality of food provided to them by universities while in isolation.

Undergraduates say food parcels have often been filled with "junk", meaning they have had to request fresh fruit and vegetables from parents.

Institutions said they were working hard to provide students with supplies.

The article is full of complaints from students in self isolation about the poor quality of the food they're being provided with. Examples include out of date bread rolls, breakfast being packets of crisps, and a £30 charge for laundry.

It is important to realise that in some cases, students are paying for this food (if they're in catered halls) - it's not charity.

I'm not sure why the catered halls aren't just running a 'room service' style operation, i.e. just cook the normal food, plate it up and deliver it to the students. But anyway, the issues reported in the article appear to be disgraceful.

I am keen to know if this is reflective of the experience of the students we have on the forum, or if the BBC have written an article based on isolated examples and mistakes?

Bantamzen

Established Member

The article is full of complaints from students in self isolation about the poor quality of the food they're being provided with. Examples include out of date bread rolls, breakfast being packets of crisps, and a £30 charge for laundry.

It is important to realise that in some cases, students are paying for this food (if they're in catered halls) - it's not charity.

I'm not sure why the catered halls aren't just running a 'room service' style operation, i.e. just cook the normal food, plate it up and deliver it to the students. But anyway, the issues reported in the article appear to be disgraceful.

I am keen to know if this is reflective of the experience of the students we have on the forum, or if the BBC have written an article based on isolated examples and mistakes?

I was just reading this story, shocking isn't it? Yet it barely makes a ripple in the increasingly hysteria driven sea we find ourselves living in. Its bad enough treating students like lepers, but now it seems we are feeding them like lepers too. There are a number of people in the university administration system that need form P45 issuing.

Jozhua

Established Member
One thing I do wonder is people with more specific dietary requirements e.g, Coeliac disease, allergies, intolerances, etc. Not catered for well in general, nevermind in this situation.

A lot of students also have very limited roots in these places, with family often living 100's of miles away. Getting stuff in a pinch will likely prove itself quite difficult.

Laundry rooms are off limits for the halls entirely in "lockdown", so good luck having clean clothes.
At the University of York, students are given the option of a £70 meal deal providing a sandwich, crisps, chocolate bar and water for every day they are in self-isolation. For three meals a day, students are charged £170 for the isolation period.
This is also hilarious, £70 for 10-14 days worth of sandwiches! Someone is making a serious killing off this.

If they were organised, they would ask every flat what items they require from different supermarkets, get it into a spreadsheet and then pay 2nd and 3rd years not in halls to go round the local supermarkets and buy those items. Then put it all in a massive pile and find what each flat needs.

ABB125

Established Member

Here in Birmingham, our food box had a variety of stuff in it, including 4 packs of crisps and 2 Oreo packs. Oh no, so unhealthy, how will we cope?! Most of the other stuff is what I would call average, not what you would find in a health food shop, but not unhealthy either.
One thing I do wonder is people with more specific dietary requirements e.g, Coeliac disease, allergies, intolerances, etc. Not catered for well in general, nevermind in this situation.

A lot of students also have very limited roots in these places, with family often living 100's of miles away. Getting stuff in a pinch will likely prove itself quite difficult.

Laundry rooms are off limits for the halls entirely in "lockdown", so good luck having clean clothes.

This is also hilarious, £70 for 10-14 days worth of sandwiches! Someone is making a serious killing off this.

If they were organised, they would ask every flat what items they require from different supermarkets, get it into a spreadsheet and then pay 2nd and 3rd years not in halls to go round the local supermarkets and buy those items. Then put it all in a massive pile and find what each flat needs.
Food is my main concern. I have enough to last until the end of the isolation period (just!), mainly frozen fish. However, I would quite like some fresh milk and a few other fresh items. Supermarket delivery is... many days away, and I can't go and buy anything myself.
I may have to ask a friend to get a few things for me.
Quite simply, that is unacceptable.
I'm not too concerned about laundry, I should (just about!) be able to manage. I can fully understand why people from infected households aren't permitted in the laundry room. Here in Birmingham it's also £30 for a load of washing (but it does get ironed and folded! :)), no thanks.

DelayRepay

Established Member
If anyone is struggling to get food, the Morrisons Food Boxes aren't too bad and they generally have next day delivery (comes via DPD courier so not dependent on getting a traditional slot). Amazon Prime Now is another option for quick delivery but you have to spend £40 to get free delivery. Depends on availability of storage space (and in particular the size of your fridge/freezer) whether they're practical. I ordered a food box right back in March when I had to isolate and supermarket slots were non existent.

It must be really hard, especially for first year students who might not have established networks of friends to call on for help yet.

ABB125

Established Member
If anyone is struggling to get food, the Morrisons Food Boxes aren't too bad and they generally have next day delivery (comes via DPD courier so not dependent on getting a traditional slot). Amazon Prime Now is another option for quick delivery but you have to spend £40 to get free delivery. Depends on availability of storage space (and in particular the size of your fridge/freezer) whether they're practical. I ordered a food box right back in March when I had to isolate and supermarket slots were non existent.

It must be really hard, especially for first year students who might not have established networks of friends to call on for help yet.
Those Morrisons boxes look alright, only problem in that I'm rather particular about what I like and dislike, which is why I like to do my own shopping. For example, the meat box (mainly what I need, to make a change from fish) has streaky bacon - eugh! And also has semi-skimmed milk - I normally have whole milk.
Luckily someone I know well from school is also here in Birmingham (and lives about 200m away!) so hopefully can go shopping for me.

takno

Established Member
Those Morrisons boxes look alright, only problem in that I'm rather particular about what I like and dislike, which is why I like to do my own shopping. For example, the meat box (mainly what I need, to make a change from fish) has streaky bacon - eugh! And also has semi-skimmed milk - I normally have whole milk.
Luckily someone I know well from school is also here in Birmingham (and lives about 200m away!) so hopefully can go shopping for me.
To be honest I'm the same with Oreos - I'm not clear on how they got a reputation as a foodstuff at all. If somebody gave me a box of those to survive on I'd definitely be kicking off. The weird thing about the Morrisons meat box is that it has streaky bacon listed but back bacon in the picture, and contains a disclaimer that they'll basically shove in whatever they want. Overall it looks no cheaper and a lot more irritating than just putting together your own online order.

DelayRepay

Established Member
The weird thing about the Morrisons meat box is that it has streaky bacon listed but back bacon in the picture, and contains a disclaimer that they'll basically shove in whatever they want. Overall it looks no cheaper and a lot more irritating than just putting together your own online order.

They say the contents are based on availability. When I had mine, there were a few differences to the pictures but the swaps were reasonable (I got normal bacon, for what its worth). It isn't cheaper, the point of the service was to be able to get deliveries out (using DPD) when there was a lack normal supermarket delivery slots. It must have proved reasonably popular given they've kept it going and added more boxes to the range.

Anyway it was just a suggestion for anyone who can't get a supermarket delivery slot and is expected to live on crisps for the next two weeks...

takno

Established Member
They say the contents are based on availability. When I had mine, there were a few differences to the pictures but the swaps were reasonable (I got normal bacon, for what its worth). It isn't cheaper, the point of the service was to be able to get deliveries out (using DPD) when there was a lack normal supermarket delivery slots. It must have proved reasonably popular given they've kept it going and added more boxes to the range.

Anyway it was just a suggestion for anyone who can't get a supermarket delivery slot and is expected to live on crisps for the next two weeks...
Makes sense. A lot of the complaining students are at Pollock Halls in Edinburgh, which has no shortage of delivery slots available. The main problems with any kind of delivery I think are that many of them have already paid for full board, and have no real facilities for storing or preparing food. I'm also not sure how easy it is for them to have deliveries, since they aren't supposed to be going out to the main door and may not have an effective door entry system.

duncanp

Established Member
Makes sense. A lot of the complaining students are at Pollock Halls in Edinburgh, which has no shortage of delivery slots available. The main problems with any kind of delivery I think are that many of them have already paid for full board, and have no real facilities for storing or preparing food. I'm also not sure how easy it is for them to have deliveries, since they aren't supposed to be going out to the main door and may not have an effective door entry system.

If they have paid for full board, then the university is contractually obliged to provide them with food.

Whilst self isolation may mean that they cannot take advantage of the usual catering arrangements, the university should be making every effort to provide food of the comparable quality and quantity.

If this is not possible, they should be providing a partial refund, but I bet the university will quietly "forget" about that.

plugwash

Established Member
If you want food deliveries quickly amazon "prime now" is worth considering, afaict the slots only open 24 hours before delivery and at least last time I used them it was possible to get slots with a bit of persistence.

Status
Not open for further replies.