• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Christmas Day non-service in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Be3G

Established Member
As readers of this forum are probably aware, London is famous for having a frequent, regular, all-hours bus service… except when it comes to Christmas Day, when no TfL buses run at all. To be precise, the shutdown period encompasses the daytime plus the two nights either side. I therefore wondered, out of purely idle curiosity, which location in London sees the shortest gap without a passenger service at Christmas? I know there's been a thread before discussing buses which start early or finish late, but the best answer to this ‘trivia’ question might actually rely on a pair of different buses (e.g. one that has a late-finishing weekday service with another that starts early on bank holidays), and/or rely on special Boxing Day timetables that are sometimes instituted for certain routes.

Just to be clear, a couple of definitions:

Location in London: a point (not necessarily a bus stop) on any road, or a junction of two/more roads, where London buses travel. I don't mind if this is outside London actually, although I'd be surprised if the answer weren't within TfL's territory.
Passenger service: a bus which can either be accepting passengers at the beginning of its route, travelling with passengers on board, or letting passengers alight at a terminus.

A couple of ideas I had in areas I know (click the links to see the precise locations):

Chingford Mount: The last 158 would roll in at 0141 Christmas Eve night whilst the first southbound 97 would pass at about 0440 Boxing Day, so just under 27 hours with no service.
Enfield Wash: The final 121 to Enfield Island Village would turn in to Ordnance Road at 0215, then at 0504 Boxing Day morning a 279 would be on its way southbound, so 26h 49m.

Over to you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hophead

Established Member
I won't go into the same geographic depth, but the TfL Journey Planner tells me that there is a 140 from Heathrow at 01:30 on Christmas Day, arriving Harrow Weald at 02:22.

London Bus Routes maintains that the first bus from Harrow Weald to Heathrow on Boxing Day departs at 03:50.

That appears to be a gap of 25.5 hours or so.

My first guess was the 25, then I went for Heathrow. It's possible that somewhere like Hounslow will come up with similar results.

Be3G

Established Member
Good call, I did wonder about the area around Heathrow but I thought I'd defer to those with better knowledge than me.

higthomas

Well you can catch a bus from Hillingdon to Victoria every hour during Chrismas day daytime... :P

Status
Not open for further replies.