• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia. Where is the most memorable location where you have eaten on a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

I have two occasions that were memorable. 1) Eating dinner in a full restaurant car between Perth and Inverness 2) Having afternoon tea somewhere between Paington and Paddington..
Something less memorable was having an evening meal between Carlisle and Euston, when the Arsenal got on and came in the restaurant car after been beaten by Carlisle.

On another occasion I remembered That in the past you could eat in a restaurant car which was practically first class using a standard ticket. This was between Euston and Glasgow when I decided to have a full English. This took a remarkably long time to eat.n

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Having a beer and a very reasonably priced goulash on the TEE whilst travelling along the Rhine on a Plandampf weekend is right up there.

Darandio

Established Member
Something less memorable was having an evening meal between Carlisle and Euston, when the Arsenal got on and came in the restaurant car after been beaten by Carlisle.

Good memory there sir, it was 1974!

delt1c

Established Member
Back in the mid 70's when thew Fort Willian sleeper went via the WCML , then formed 1 st service from Glasgow Queen St to Fort William . Think it was 06.00 and conveyed a Resturaunt car. Finest ever Breakfast I had opn a train. Served around 8 am amid breathtaking scenery with a steam heat class 27 working hard at the front.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
A Czech dining car in 1988 between Dresden and Berlin - old school , lace curtains and a menu that was substantially enhanced when they discovered we were BR railway staff and all sorts of "extras" appeared....we tipped them about 10 marks - and were they pleased ?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Travelling from Moscow to Leningrad in 1974, through a Soviet winter. At an isolated station, three peasant women got on the train and were allowed to sell genuine caviar on thick white bread for the equivalent of less than 10p, before being shooed off: the only time in my life I've ever had proper caviar.

class387

Established Member
A sandwich on a broken down RhB train on the highest section of the Albula Pass.

PeterC

Established Member
The most memorable was the first time I ordered a meal on a train. Just a simple cheese omlette on the South Wales Pullman, which I think was the only one of the Blue Pullman sets to have 2nd class seats.

IIRC the 2nd class coaches ended up as first class on the GEML.

The Conductor

High Tea on the West Highland line in 1971, going up the Monessie Gorge. 3 staff and 4 passengers, I seem to remember.

R4_GRN

1980 ish, east coast main line on a railway deal, travel to London, hotel in London, great deal as we were not long married.

Breakfast in first class although we had second class tickets, allowed to dine in first class, superb breakfast served by top class waiters and cooked by chefs absolutely wonderful when travelling through north east England countryside.

A great holiday in the big smoke, all at a very reasonable cost.

Waiter in the hotel asked, without a smile, when ordering pre-dinner drinks "a large one for sir and a small one for Madam?" This continued for all the stay, superb holiday!

Senex

Established Member
Over the years a good many memorable meals, and not just in BR restaurant cars. But one that stands out is a fine summer morning in the early 1960s and breakfast on the first train south from Thurso to Inverness in a restaurant car attached at Helmsdale after working north on the first train from Inverness.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
As an afro-haired student - early HST;s from South Wales in 1976 welcomed anyone into the dining car - for a 3 course meal - soup / fish or steak / apple pie and ice cream and cheese and biscuits for about a £5 note. Democratic dining , served by long service and friendly staff.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
As an afro-haired student - early HST;s from South Wales in 1976 welcomed anyone into the dining car - for a 3 course meal - soup / fish or steak / apple pie and ice cream and cheese and biscuits for about a £5 note. Democratic dining , served by long service and friendly staff.

As a certain lady from those parts sang a decade before ''Those were the days, my friend'' but, by george, did they end.

tsr

Established Member
There's something to be said for a friendly member of staff serving haggis onboard the Fort William Sleeper on a peaceful summer's evening, following a week on the Small Isles.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A simple restaurant car Continental breakfast while running along the super-scenic Rhein-Strecke on board the CNL (before DB owned it and it did have a premium feel) "Donau Kurier" in 2000, coming back from a summer doing service crew at the Scout camp site at Mattsee.

"This is the way to travel", I thought...sadly no more on many lines.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Not the most memorable ever but one that stands out was a celibratery meal from the chip shop at Mallaig station, consumed on the train after completing the West Higlands in a day. It was freshly battered fish and chips with a saussage on the side and a can of fizzy orrange. Yum.

Back in the mid 70's when thew Fort Willian sleeper went via the WCML , then formed 1 st service from Glasgow Queen St to Fort William . Think it was 06.00 and conveyed a Resturaunt car. Finest ever Breakfast I had opn a train. Served around 8 am amid breathtaking scenery with a steam heat class 27 working hard at the front.

Memories of this journey myself, resturaunt car to myself service from attendant dressed in white coat

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Not the most memorable ever but one that stands out was a celibratery meal from the chip shop at Mallaig station, consumed on the train after completing the West Higlands in a day. It was freshly battered fish and chips with a saussage on the side and a can of fizzy orrange. Yum.

And I bet that after that, everyone else on the train wished they had some too.:D

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Most of them did! The 16:xx whatever it is unit off FortBill goes up and sits for about 25 mins before returning and quite a few go for the journey and return with it. There were about 6 or 7 onboard with chips that day

pnepaul

For me it was having a meal on the Thames-Clyde express and travelling from Carlisle to Settle in the late 1970's.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
As a certain lady from those parts sang a decade before ''Those were the days, my friend'' but, by george, did they end.

Off topic - but her Dad played golf on the course which was part of our school cross country run. We used to nick his golf balls and run off......:D

Status
Not open for further replies.