• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two tickets for the same train

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcd

I have a 1st class SNR single from Manchester to Stockport and an Advance standard SNR single from Manchester to Winchester. Can I use the first class as far as Stockport and then move to standard or would that be taken as not starting at the beginning of the journey as far as the advance is concerned.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Technically you have to sit in your booked seat for the duration...

You're booked seat may be taken by someone else in standard on departure from Manchester.

No real benefit getting the 1st class bit... nothing free in that time!

island

Veteran Member
Very strictly speaking, that would constitute starting short on your Manchester-Winchester advance, rendering it invalid. And as First class says, you're unlikely to get anything worthwhile during that time, unless perhaps you're travelling at a weekend and there's no trolley.

lyesbkz

However, you can use the First Class lounge at Manchester Piccadilly provided it's open and your Manchester - Stockport ticket would be valid on VT services.

LexyBoy

Established Member
If you're on a direct (XC) service to Winchester, I'd advise sitting in standard from the off, otherwise you may not get a seat after Stockport (and arguing that you have a reservation may draw attention to your Advance ticket). It's only 5 mins to Stockport anyway, doesn't seen worth the hassle.

Looked at another way, it could be argued that you're not starting short, as you are combining tickets under NRCoC 19. John@Home made this point a while ago, I can dig out the post if needed.

dcd

However, you can use the First Class lounge at Manchester Piccadilly provided it's open and your Manchester - Stockport ticket would be valid on VT services.

That is why I had the first class ticket at £1.75 for Virgin only SNR not bad for use of Lounge plus it worked at Euston lounge as well on the way up.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Does this mean a Manchester - Stockport VT ONLY 1st Anytime Single will grant access to all Virgin lounges whilst it's valid?

No. It would be valid only at Manchester (in the absence of a lounge at Stockport). Not sure why the ticket was accepted at Euston in all honesty.

For example, a Coventry - Birmingham Intl 1st Anytime Day Single at £1.45 (Railcard) will get you into lounges at each station. It won't get you into the lounge at Euston, or Crewe for example!

dcd

Does this mean a Manchester - Stockport VT ONLY 1st Anytime Single will grant access to all Virgin lounges whilst it's valid?

Virgin website says

To enter the First Class lounge, just show your valid Virgin Business, First Anytime or Advance First ticket. Naturally, you can only enjoy our lounges on the travel date shown on your ticket.

says nothing about it being valid at the station you are at.

BTW 2 staff on desk at Euston looked at the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.