• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two trains on single track

12LDA28C

Established Member
I travelled this line for the first time a few days ago, and saw that the HS2 bridge works appeared to form part of a recent provision for a passing loop between Aylesbury and Little Kimble, although as far as I can find out there are no current plans to actually build this loop (maybe someone has some better info on this?).

It has been built 'future-proofed' for a doubling of the line however there are no current plans for such a doubling, or a passing loop. There were plans mooted for a passing loop at Little Kimble years ago but they came to nothing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duffield

Established Member
It has been built 'future-proofed' for a doubling of the line however there are no current plans for such a doubling, or a passing loop. There were plans mooted for a passing loop at Little Kimble years ago but they came to nothing.
Thanks, that confirms what I thought.

Belperpete

Established Member
Indeed it can happen and as others have said it does many times.

I think I read somewhere that the ERTMS used on the Cambrian line was designed so that trains could follow each other on single lines.
Regularly happens in the Machynlleth - Dovey Jcn section, when the portions to/from Aberystwyth and Pwllheli follow one another. Elsewhere, it would depend on whether intermediate block markers are provided to divide the section.

What would be the best type of signalling for a single line with reasonably spaced loops along the way - especially for a route such as Highland Main Line?

There is no "best answer" - it depends on a lot of factors, such the kind of service to be supported. Is the stock captive (so could be fitted with RETB or ERTMS cab units)? Is there somewhere to collect and issue physical tokens? How practical would it be to track-circuit or axle-counter the line? How are the passing loops going to be controlled?

Last edited:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
To the best of my knowledge:

In terms of terminus stations I'm aware that the following are permissively worked on AB lines:
  • All Holyhead platforms
  • All Llandudno platforms
  • All Penzance platforms
  • All Scarborough platforms (technically Seamer works AB to Weaverthorpe)
  • All Saltburn platforms
  • The bay at Whitehaven Bransty
  • The bay at St Erth
  • The bay at Whitby (though NST-R)
  • The bay at Barrow-in-Furness
  • The bay at Llandudno Junction
  • The bay at Bridlington.
And for through platforms:
  • All lines at Llandudno Junction
  • All lines at Worcester Shrub Hill (including from one of the famous banjo signals)
  • All lines at Harrogate
  • All through lines at Stirling (albeit two are also under the juristiction of Stirling North)
  • The two through lines at Barrow-in-Furness
  • The through platform at Whitehaven Bransty
  • The platform lines at Bangor
  • Some of the lines at Hereford
  • Potentially one of the through lines at Bridlington but I'm not entirely sure.
Hereford is all track circuited within the area the box controls.

Snapper37

Southern part of the Cotswold line has multiple signals in the same direction between Wolvercote Jct and Charlbury allowing trains to follow each other. Don’t think any are actually timetabled to do so….

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
Hereford is all track circuited within the area the box controls.
Doesn't mean that it's not under Absolute Block regs (which I think it is, albeit somewhat muddied by the fact that it works TCB in one direction but not the other, to the north).

Tomnick

Established Member
It's entirely possible for an area worked under AB regulations and with semaphore signals to have track circuits installed, for example at Greenford East.
Greenford isn't worked under AB regs in any direction, though. On the other hand, the vast majority of boxes that *do* work AB have at least some track circuits – I can't think of any that don't at least have a berth track circuit in each direction.

jimm

Established Member
Southern part of the Cotswold line has multiple signals in the same direction between Wolvercote Jct and Charlbury allowing trains to follow each other. Don’t think any are actually timetabled to do so….
No, it doesn't. Once a train has passed the home signal just to the west of Wolvercote North Junction, as it is now named, no other train can enter the section until the first train has entered the double track section at Charlbury.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Greenford isn't worked under AB regs in any direction, though. On the other hand, the vast majority of boxes that *do* work AB have at least some track circuits – I can't think of any that don't at least have a berth track circuit in each direction.

It's certainly treated as AB from a driver's point of view due to the semaphores.

Tomnick

Established Member
It's certainly treated as AB from a driver's point of view due to the semaphores.
It shouldn't be – it *really* shouldn't be. The presence of semaphores does not equate to Absolute Block. You can have AB without semaphores, and you can have semaphores without AB. It's an important distinction, and alarming that this misconception is so widespread.

12LDA28C

Established Member
It shouldn't be – it *really* shouldn't be. The presence of semaphores does not equate to Absolute Block. You can have AB without semaphores, and you can have semaphores without AB. It's an important distinction, and alarming that this misconception is so widespread.

Personally I've seen no location worked under TCB where you can go from a green signal to the next one being at red, or a signaller bringing you almost to a stand at an outer home then inner home signal before hanging out of his box with a red flag, although that was a number of years ago now. But I appreciate I am not familiar with the whole of the UK rail network.

Tomnick

Established Member
Personally I've seen no location worked under TCB where you can go from a green signal to the next one being at red, or a signaller bringing you almost to a stand at an outer home then inner home signal before hanging out of his box with a red flag, although that was a number of years ago now. But I appreciate I am not familiar with the whole of the UK rail network.
Greenford is one such location! Swinderby, too.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Would it be fair to say that if (and only if) there are semaphores, there is the possibility of passing a green and finding the next signal a red? I'm not aware of anywhere that is possible with colour lights, unless perhaps there is a distant board.

Ken H

On Moderation
Would it be fair to say that if (and only if) there are semaphores, there is the possibility of passing a green and finding the next signal a red? I'm not aware of anywhere that is possible with colour lights, unless perhaps there is a distant board.
My understanding is that if you want to replace the semaphores with colour lights, you need 3 aspect signals except at the signal giving access to the next section which can be r/g colour light as the next signal will be a distant.

Tomnick

Established Member
Yes, absolutely. I think we all agree on that. The misconception is that that means that it's Absolute Block, and it's a common misconception, perhaps because of the relative rarity of semaphores on pure TCB (rather more common at AB/TCB fringes though, where generally AB only applies to the home signal and from the section signal). It's a widespread misconception, to be fair to @12LDA28C.

The only exception that I'm aware of, on Network Rail infrastructure, is part of Merseyrail's network.

Taunton

Established Member
What would be the best type of signalling for a single line with reasonably spaced loops along the way - especially for a route such as Highland Main Line?
The USA would say "CTC", or Centralised Traffic Control, a system which became widespread from about 1930, with passing loops say every 10 miles, and intermediate signals every mile. These latter are automatic, typically 3-aspect, and allow trains to follow one another on the single line between loops. The dispatcher, like a UK power box, can have say 100 miles of route under control from their console, with a similar illuminated track diagram, and switches for the points, and signals controlling entry to the single line sections.

Yes, absolutely. I think we all agree on that. The misconception is that that means that it's Absolute Block, and it's a common misconception, perhaps because of the relative rarity of semaphores on pure TCB
Until about 1970 the Woking to Basingstoke 4-track line was signalled exactly like this, automatic semaphore signals, with a couple of signalboxes at intermediate stations with crossovers and sidings. Originally lower quadrants, some but not all later became standard BR upper quadrants. Finally replaced with colour lights which effectively did the same thing.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The only exception that I'm aware of, on Network Rail infrastructure, is part of Merseyrail's network.
For this exception (where a colour light green can be followed by a red), are all the places where the stop signal is a platform starter at a station where all trains normally stop anyway? I know the Tyne and Wear Metro does this (or at least did when it first opened), but provided a warning board on the approach to each station, and the few non-station stop signals had a separate distant. Also the combination of trainstops and magnetic track brakes ensured that any train passing a red was very quickly brought to a stop.
The USA would say "CTC", or Centralised Traffic Control, a system which became widespread from about 1930, with passing loops say every 10 miles, and intermediate signals every mile. These latter are automatic, typically 3-aspect, and allow trains to follow one another on the single line between loops. The dispatcher, like a UK power box, can have say 100 miles of route under control from their console, with a similar illuminated track diagram, and switches for the points, and signals controlling entry to the single line sections.
The equipment used in earlier British Multiple Aspect Signalling schemes was often based on CTC, as seen with the partnership between GEC and General Signal of the US, but used somewhat differently. Also, in the US with most trains being freight (and nobody caring about Amtrak...) it is acceptable to park a train in a loop for some time for several to pass in the other direction. That doesn't really work in the UK context with more and shorter trains and most of them carrying passengers. Allowing multiple trains to follow each other through a single line between loops is therefore less useful, although it may have more value if there is a longer section of double track at at least one end.
Until about 1970 the Woking to Basingstoke 4-track line was signalled exactly like this, automatic semaphore signals, with a couple of signalboxes at intermediate stations with crossovers and sidings. Originally lower quadrants, some but not all later became standard BR upper quadrants. Finally replaced with colour lights which effectively did the same thing.
I remember seeing a picture of these and a comment that signal engineers were worried that the signals normally showed "off" and would be at risk of icing up in that position, possibly in one of the works of Rolt or Nock. I think each stop signal had a distant beneath it, making it equivalent to three-aspect colour light signalling and meaning a green would never lead to a red. However, there might have been exceptions around the signal boxes. I assume it was replaced by four aspect colour lights (at least on the Fasts) at about half the spacing, to improve the headway.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
I remember seeing a picture of these and a comment that signal engineers were worried that the signals normally showed "off" and would be at risk of icing up in that position, possibly in one of the works of Rolt or Nock. I think each stop signal had a distant beneath it, making it equivalent to three-aspect colour light signalling and meaning a green would never lead to a red. However, there might have been exceptions around the signal boxes. I assume it was replaced by four aspect colour lights (at least on the Fasts) at about half the spacing, to improve the headway.
There are plenty of shots of them in this Youtube video, after about the 10 minute mark when they get past Woking. Being mostly taken from station platforms, the video tends to also include some extra controlled signals for crossovers etc when the local signalbox was switched in. Signals probably about a mile apart, all four tracks together on a gantry. If any signals are showing stop, a train has just passed on that track. They were actually compressed air powered, and the arms moved fairly slowly.

Railsigns

Established Member
For this exception (where a colour light green can be followed by a red), are all the places where the stop signal is a platform starter at a station where all trains normally stop anyway?
No, they aren't all platform starters.

I remember seeing a picture of these and a comment that signal engineers were worried that the signals normally showed "off" and would be at risk of icing up in that position, possibly in one of the works of Rolt or Nock. I think each stop signal had a distant beneath it, making it equivalent to three-aspect colour light signalling and meaning a green would never lead to a red.
The North Eastern Railway had a significant installation of automatic semaphore signals (each with stop and distant arms) between Alne and Thirsk, but their arms stood normally in the horizontal position, only clearing when the appropriate track circuit on approach became occupied (and subject to the relevant track circuits beyond being clear, etc.).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
No, they aren't all platform starters.
So what makes this acceptable at Merseyrail and not anywhere else, where there's no significant difference in visibility, braking etc? Do the signals in question have a distant board or some other warning sign in the absence of a yellow?

Tomnick

Established Member
So what makes this acceptable at Merseyrail and not anywhere else, where there's no significant difference in visibility, braking etc? Do the signals in question have a distant board or some other warning sign in the absence of a yellow?
It's on the Loop Line, all in tunnel, and presumably reflects London Underground practice. There are some repeaters, but not all stop signals have a repeater in rear.

Railsigns

Established Member
Since every train on the Liverpool Loop is an EMU with good braking characteristics and the service is intensive, the line was signalled to metro standards as used on the London Underground. Yellow/green repeaters are only provided where a stop signal has insufficient sighting distance for drivers to stop at a red aspect on sight. Every train has tripcock apparatus, and a trainstop is installed at every stop signal. Overlaps lengths are calculated to ensure that a train tripped by a raised trainstop is brought to a stand within the overlap.

Here's a diagram of the signalling as installed in 1977:

Liverpool Loop signalling 1977.jpg

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It's on the Loop Line, all in tunnel, and presumably reflects London Underground practice. There are some repeaters, but not all stop signals have a repeater in rear.
Since every train on the Liverpool Loop is an EMU with good braking characteristics and the service is intensive, the line was signalled to metro standards as used on the London Underground. Yellow/green repeaters are only provided where a stop signal has insufficient sighting distance for drivers to stop at a red aspect on sight. Every train has tripcock apparatus, and a trainstop is installed at every stop signal. Overlaps lengths are calculated to ensure that a train tripped by a raised trainstop is brought to a stand within the overlap.

Here's a diagram of the signalling as installed in 1977:

View attachment 155673
Thanks, that makes sense.

Ken H

On Moderation
Thanks @Railsigns. Forgot they had trainstops link & loop.
What is max speed in the tunnels? Memory says 30 but thats no guarantee!