• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
I'm planning to do the entire Tyne and Wear Metro on a weekday, starting and ending at Central/Monument.

As there are several branches is there any useful way of joining up the ends to avoid too much doubling back? I've already planned in the ferry between North Shields and South Shields, and possibly bus 35 between South Shields and Sunderland.

Finally are there any things worth hopping off the Metro to see, apart from in Newcastle city centre?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From the past few times I've done it:

1) A walk from Gateshead to Manors, through the Sage Centre and over the Millennium Bridge

2) The Tyne Pedestrian & Cyclist Tunnel, if it has reopened following refurbishment when you do it (walk between Howdon and Jarrow stations)

Established Member
Tunnels are still closed until the Summer, some of the work took longer than expected.

Not much up the Airport branch of note and it is a 15 minute journey from South Gosforth so going straight back on the same train is the quickest way of doing it. Trains at the Airport wait for 9 minutes during the day before going back, so if needed you could nip into the terminal building (Starbucks, Greggs etc) and get the next one back.

Going back to South Gosforth you could then change and get the train around the Coast via Four Lane Ends. Tynemouth is a nice village to stop off at (shame you are doing it on a weekday as there is a big market on the station each weekend. The station itself is impressive enough to have a walk around.

From St. James it is probably easier to walk back to Monument to get the train towards South Shields or South Hylton. At South Hylton, if you have time, you could walk up to Penshaw Monument. Probably better if it is a warmer day as it is on a hill and exposed.

Metro tickets are valid on the hourly Northern service between Sunderland and Newcastle, so you could get this back to Heworth and change for the South Shields train. South Shields has a nice beach to walk along, although this is a fair way from the station and in the opposite direction to the ferry.

Approximate journey times from Airport to South Hylton is an hour and St. James to South Shields via the Coast is 1 1/2 hours. Train frequency is one every 12 minutes during the day, so a train every 6 minutes between South Gosforth and Pelaw.

Not sure if you drink but there are some good pubs near to or within walking distance of a lot of the Metro stations.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Not sure that using the ferry gives you much advantage - unless you want to "do" the ferry route as well.

Suggest Newcastle - Airport - South Gosforth - Tynemouth - Newcastle - St. James - South Shields. Then, possibly bus to Sunderland, but may not be much quicker than doubling back to Pelaw. Then Metro to South Hylton, return to Newcastle. Try to avoid days when Newcastle or Sunderland have home football matches.....

Established Member
Also worth noting that if you buy the 3 zone Day Saver (£4.60) this is valid on the Metro, Ferry and Northern Rail between Newcastle and Sunderland. For the bus you'd need to buy a Network One Day Rover which is £6.90.

Kite159

Veteran Member
You will easily be able to do it all on a weekday, I did it in 4 and a bit hours on a Sunday back in October. The 3-zone day saver is quite good value for money and is valid on the Northern trains if you can time it.

Route I used was:
Central to Airport, Airport to South Gosforth, South Gosforth around the coast back to St James, walked back to Momument. Then it's either/or southbound, first up for me was a South Hylton service so down to South Hylton, changing at Pelaw on the way back towards Newcastle central to do a South Shields service in/out back to Central.

Although being a weekday you will probably have more time to spend and the chance to do the ferry

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
If you do the ferry, I'd recommend doing it Southbound.

North Shields station is further from, and much higher than, the Tyne than South Shields.

The North Tyneside Railway might also be worth a visit. Not been myself, but I believe it follows the route of the former Metro test-track.

telstarbox

Established Member
Thanks to all for useful info.

Bevan Price - I thought I may as well 'do' the ferry as it's included on the ticket and it will break up the metros a bit.

142094 - any recommended pubs in Tynemouth or Sunderland?

sprinterguy

Established Member
142094 - any recommended pubs in Tynemouth or Sunderland?
The Isis is the best pub to visit in Sunderland, although it's on the far side of the city centre from either of the two city stations (Sunderland or Park Lane).

Jameson's, the local 'Spoons, is convenient for Sunderland station, being on the end of Fawcett Street opposite the Museum and Mowbray Park.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'd always suggest a walk around the Ouseburn (bail out at Manors or Byker)- if you drink make sure you stop off at the Cumberland Arms and the Free Trade Inn. The Brandling Villa at South Gosforth is good too, if a little (lot) hipster.

Tynemouth sea front is always worth a look at too, and the chip shop on the front street is very good. It's been a while since I went out on the razzle in Tynemouth but I remember the Cumberland Arms (not the same one!) being alright.

If you do the ferry northbound to North Shields there is a shuttle bus (the 333) that takes you up into the town, which is free to ferry passengers. It depends how lazy you're feeling, the hill isn't as steep as it looks. The ferry is always worth a trip, but it only runs every 30 minutes. I usually do it northbound as South Shields town centre is much nicer to hang around in than North Shields.

Established Member
Tynemouth Lodge Hotel pub is about a 10 minute walk from the station (you can see it on the LHS when going between North Shields and Tynemouth. Either that or there are a couple in the village itself.

Would recommend Isis in Sunderland as well but is quite a walk from the centre.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
i would get the all zone ticket:

Things to do in Newcastle/ Tyneside:

1) Visit Sid James park and laugh at the comedy show that is Newcastle United and their deluded fans ;)

2) Get of the Metro at Monument and wander around Grainger town, then go to the castle ( the view form the top is superb) then walk down to the Quayside. I would walk along both asides crossing the Millennium and Swing Bridges

(Note: There are hopper buses form the town to the quayside and back via Gateshead)

3) Walk along Tyne to ouseburn then up to Byker station.

4) Get off at Wallesend and visit the Segadunum ROman fort (which hasd an observation tower.

5) Get off at South Shields and visit the roman fort at Arbeia. It has a reconstructed gatehouse.

6) In Sunderland you could go to the Monkwearmouth Station Museum which is really close to St peters metro station

7) You could also go to the Sunderland museum and winter gardens which is very close to the central station

8) You could go to the Stephenson Railway Museum which is at Silverlink. There are buses from Percy Main Metro

9) Back in Newcastle you could go to eh Discover Museum or Hancock Museum (both in City Centre)

10) From Gateshead you could take a regular bus to the Angel of the North.

11) You could go to Tynemouth Castle & Priory plus the beach there is nice. The sea is "bracing" all year round!

12) South Shields beach is nice but will be a bit of a walk from the Metro.

13) Seaburn in Sunderland is the same as it is a bit of walk

14) Whitley Bay beach is also quite nice and you can visit St Marys Lighthouse

PUBS

We can do better than Spoonies!

Sid James:

Strawberry. Was my local at one time and is a decent pub. Busy on a match day ;)

The Newcastle Arms is also worth a glance - i went there when i wanted a change form the Strawberry

Monument

Crown Posada: On your walk down to the Quayside. A proper pub. Go there instead of the trendy Brew Dog place.

Bridge Hotel Opposite the Castle great views over the river

Bacchus on High Bridge

Lady Greys on Shakespeare Street

Byker

The Free Trade is good for your walk round Ouseburn but the Cluny is also worth a shout

Central Station

The Centurion at Newcastle Central station should be on your list of watering holes as

The Forth Hotel and the Town Wall ( both up pink lane opposite the station) are worth a look

South Shields

The Steam Boat in South Shields on Mill Dam is a 5 minute walk form the ferry terminal on your way to the metro. Fantastic selection of ales.

Sunderland

Isis in Sunderland has already been recommended and i second the motion!

Fitzgeralds is also decent (it is between Park Lane & university stations)

Tynemouth

I also second the proposal for the Tynemouth Lodge Hotel.

Now can i offer you any advice on beer....................

Zamracene749

There is an hourly bus linking the Airport and Four lane Ends interchange (353). It takes a convoluted route but you will see bits of North Tyneside that most tourists miss......from South Hylton the buses only run back into Sunderland.

Pubwise DarloRich has it well covered buit I'd also suggest the Alum at South Shields ferry landing, the Maltings near S Shields town hall is a fair walk but serves excellent ale, the wheatsheaf at Felling and perhaps the Twin Farms at Bank Foot (it's a bit foody, but the beer is ok). The Oddfellows near North Shields Metro serves a canny pint and sometimes has free soup too :)

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Random question about the 353: technically the bus leaves Tyne and Wear and goes into Northumberland between the Airport roundabout and Dinnington. Does anybody know if the DayRover is valid on it throughout or not?

Not that it's a particularly interesting bus ride, unless slightly down-at-heel old pit villages are your thing.

Adding to the pubs list, The Bodega on Westgate Road is a good pub. The New Bridge by Manors metro always used to be alright too.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Final question - any areas to be 'careful' in? Not casting any aspersions I just don't know Tyneside as well as other cities.

Are you southern? We dont like them southerners ;)

You will be fine. I cant think that there is anywhere on the metro netwrok that ois really rough, the trains are safe and so are the stations.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Final question - any areas to be 'careful' in? Not casting any aspersions I just don't know Tyneside as well as other cities.

Depends where you're intending to go. I wouldn't go touristing in the areas around either Meadow Well or Tyne Dock, especially after dark, but they're not really the sorts of places you'd get off the train anyway.

I've always felt perfectly safe in Newcastle, even in places like Byker, so just take the usual precautions and you'll be fine.

telstarbox

Established Member
Are you southern? We dont like them southerners ;)

You will be fine. I cant think that there is anywhere on the metro netwrok that ois really rough, the trains are safe and so are the stations.

I am but I lived in Sheffield for four years and Manchester for two (unless they're in the south too?) so I'm well aware that all cities have their better and worse areas. I've been to Darlington and Boro as well so leave it out ;)

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Speaking as a local to the Coast loop, I would say that on the system itself, I have never had any issues, including late night travel.

Meadow Well isn't a place to hang around, it's not wholly unsafe, but the area isn't the best. Other than that, nowhere on the system is particularly bad. Newcastle City Centre is pretty safe, even when weaving between the drunks at 10pm on a Saturday night :p

Established Member
2mins walk from Gateshead Metro is the Tiley Stone, another Spoons admittedly on Jackson St and theres also the Grey Nags Head 2mins from that, just walk down Jackson St, turn left, the Nags is a 100 yds ahead of you on the right

Right, change of plan - I'll try to fit in a few Metros to break up the pubs :)
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.