• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Manufacturer News & Discussion

Mikey C

Established Member
The latest tender awards by TfL include more Electric vehicles , Double & Single deck, mostly for RATP London United & London Sovereign, exact number not known but @ 50+ Double Deck & 50+ Single Deck from Fulwell & Harrow.
Indeed the electric buses are the only new vehicles specified. Routes out in the suburbs being converted too, like the 140 and 183

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
The latest tender awards by TfL include more Electric vehicles , Double & Single deck, mostly for RATP London United & London Sovereign, exact number not known but @ 50+ Double Deck & 50+ Single Deck from Fulwell & Harrow.

Too early to know who will get the order, but RATP group have been ordering BYD-ADL enviro EV 200s and 400s. As the chassis are BYD (made in Hungary), not sure if this counts as British bus

With spares, quantity is nearer 100 double decks, 40 single deck

The 4 electric Optare metrocities from 2014 are no longer with RATP (now used by Arriva on extended route 312)

Last edited:

OmniCity999

Established Member
Too early to know who will get the order, but RATP group have been ordering BYD-ADL enviro EV 200s and 400s. As the chassis are BYD (made in Hungary), not sure if this counts as British bus

With spares, quantity is nearer 100 double decks, 40 single deck

The 4 electric Optare metrocities from 2014 are no longer with RATP (now used by Arriva on extended route 312)
Well the bodies are British built surely? So they are British built ot if youre bing pedantic, British assembled.

317 forever

Established Member
Indeed the electric buses are the only new vehicles specified. Routes out in the suburbs being converted too, like the 140 and 183
Strictly speaking, it's the X140 (Harrow - Heathrow) converted to new electric buses upon award to London Sovereign. Route 140 (Harrow Weald - Hayes & Harlington) retains Volvo B5LHs with Metroline.

scosutsut

Optare Group renamed Switch Mobility, looks like it will trade as "Switch" according to Indian Media:

No one has told Optare's website. Which to be fair still hasn't heard of SSL certificates...

Edit: companies house change went through at beginning of this month:

fgwrich

Established Member
Optare Group renamed Switch Mobility, looks like it will trade as "Switch" according to Indian Media:

No one has told Optare's website. Which to be fair still hasn't heard of SSL certificates...

Edit: companies house change went through at beginning of this month:

Oh dear, another rather misguided renaming attempt. Though perhaps, given Optare's notoriously slow lead times, the website will change name in a few years time. Heaven forbid it doesn't end up the same way as Reading's MetroDeckers.

This bit of the article raised a smile before I'd even got into the bulk of it too.

Switch will build on the success of Optare in the UK, where it is a leading player in electric buses, with more than 150 of them currently operating successfully in its home market.

Are they? I'd have thought the Alexander Dennis / BYD Combo was the leading player, with Optare and Wrights behind. Incidentally and speaking of electric vehicles, Go North East's new Yutong E10 / "Vultra" Electric vehicles entered service today too.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The Switch Mobilty Metrodecker/Solo.

That just rolls of the tongue doesn't it?
The article did say that they'd be trading under the name "Switch", so Switch Metrodecker and Switch Solo don't sound quite so bad...

It sounds like they're trying to get away from the Optare name, but if they don't up their game in production terms there'll be no point in re-branding.

cnjb8

Established Member
Maybe the rename is to do with pretty much every company switching away from them :lol:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Given Optare's reputation for late delivery I wonder how they're coping with the significant Metrodecker orders from London operators.

They really can't afford to get this wrong.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Are they? I'd have thought the Alexander Dennis / BYD Combo was the leading player, with Optare and Wrights behind. Incidentally and speaking of electric vehicles, Go North East's new Yutong E10 / "Vultra" Electric vehicles entered service today too.
Optare were the leaders 5 years ago... I very much doubt they are now given their products offer far less range!

swifty

Established Member
There’s nothing wrong with that statement. They are a leading player in electric buses in the UK. Obviously the ADL products are more wide spread though.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Oh dear, another rather misguided renaming attempt. Though perhaps, given Optare's notoriously slow lead times, the website will change name in a few years time. Heaven forbid it doesn't end up the same way as Reading's MetroDeckers.

This bit of the article raised a smile before I'd even got into the bulk of it too.

Note that it says "A leading player", not "THE leading player".

Given their recent success with London orders, in particular with Go-Ahead who had appeared wedded to BYD/ADL, I'd say that's a fair claim.

cnjb8

Established Member
Note that it says "A leading player", not "THE leading player".

Given their recent success with London orders, in particular with Go-Ahead who had appeared wedded to BYD/ADL, I'd say that's a fair claim.
GoAhead have just put in an order for the Optare MetroDecker.

I think it's fair to say the BYD ADL combo is the most successful but the introduction of Caetano and Yutong to the electric market, with their growing popularity means the manufacturing market for electric buses is going to be a lot more competitive and crowded, unlike ADL dominating the diesel market.

scosutsut

The main advantage to marketing blurb is that it only needs to loosely resemble the truth. They've sold some ergo this seems to = "leading player" in this scenario

cnjb8

Established Member
For which route(s)? In addition to those for route 200?
No, I was referring to the batch for the 200. Coach & Bus Weekly were reporting like the order had just been placed, but now thinking of it, it was a few weeks ago

Volvodart

Established Member
Wrightbus has apparently received an order for 20 hydrogen and 80 battery electric buses for Northern Ireland. They appear to also be supplying 45 low emission buses.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...ing-greenest-buses-to-nis-roads-39815707.html

£66m Wrightbus deal to bring 'greenest buses' to NI's roads
Wrightbus hydrogen bus (PA) Positive: Nichola Mallon says the deal will create jobs and reduce pollution
Wrightbus hydrogen bus (PA)
Margaret Canning
Margaret Canning

December 02 2020 07:04 AM

The 'greenest' buses on the island of Ireland will take to the roads here after Co Antrim firm Wrightbus won a £66m contract with the Department for Infrastructure.
The department said the deal for 145 zero and low emission buses was a "significant leap forward" in the de-carbonisation of public transport here.
And it's the most significant deal to be won by Wrightbus since the Ballymena firm went into administration last year, before being bought over by English firm Bamford Bus Company.
By 2022, Metro services in Foyle and Belfast will have 100 zero-emission buses, with 80 powered by electric battery and 20 by hydrogen fuel cell.
There will also be 45 low emissions buses for Ulsterbus services.
Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon said: "I have an ambitious vision for a low carbon future where we make low emission public transport accessible to people and communities across NI."
She said the £66m investment, part of the New Decade New Approach spending commitments, would filter down into the economy through the Wrightbus order. "Today marks a very positive step forward that will create jobs, encourage investment, as well as being pivotal in cutting the level of emissions.
"As well as reducing pollution, the new vehicles will have additional safety features and improved comfort and accessibility, helping to grow passenger numbers, increase overall customer satisfaction and make public transport a more attractive and efficient alternative to private cars."
Translink Group chief executive Chris Conway said: "This bus order is just the start of an exciting new era for public transport in Northern Ireland as we work to build back responsibly following Covid-19."
Wrightbus CEO Buta Atwal said: "We are delighted that the Department for Infrastructure and Translink has shown strong leadership in its commitment to reducing emissions.
"Investment in hydrogen, electric and low-emission buses and the wider energy sector, can only be good for jobs in Northern Ireland. We have the climate and the technology to drive fundamental change here and position Northern Ireland as a world-leader."

Last edited:

Bluecardholder

The reason Go Ahead London has ordered the Metrodecker for the 200 is that the BYD/ADL combo is too long to fit the route. Assuming they get delivered this side of 2022, as Optare/Switch need to up their game with deliveries, otherwise someone else will try and win orders off of their issues. I believe Caetano are looking towards to producing an electric decker if they can see a market for it.

cnjb8

Established Member
The reason Go Ahead London has ordered the Metrodecker for the 200 is that the BYD/ADL combo is too long to fit the route. Assuming they get delivered this side of 2022, as Optare/Switch need to up their game with deliveries, otherwise someone else will try and win orders off of their issues. I believe Caetano are looking towards to producing an electric decker if they can see a market for it.
They are due May 2021, but I doubt this date will be met.

Mikey C

Established Member
Have Wrights produced an electric double decker before now?

It's interesting that ADL, with their greater technical resources have gone into partnership with BDL, whereas Wright and Optare are doing it by themselves

Abellio will almost certainly be the lead customer for the Caetano double decker as I recall they have the same parent company..