• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Underground Racso: The webpage extensively documenting all TFL and Private Bus Company moquette seat fabrics from 1950 to the present day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W-on-Sea

Established Member
What a fantastic and very informative site!

One correction: the blue moquette designed by Marianne Straub was not found any of the Leyland Titans. With I think the one exception of T2, which for whatever reason got the moquette that had been used on Routemaster seats, the Titans got the oatmeal/mustard/orange moquette also found on D78 trains. It was however used on I think all of the Daimler Fleetlines that became variously the D, DM and DMS classes, and I think also the Leyland Nationals (LS class) of London Transport. Possibly some other buses of the 1970s too (the BL and BS classes of Bristol LHs for example?)

Last edited:

plarailfan

That's excellent, many thanks. I really enjoyed looking through them :D
A while ago, I wanted some moquette, for my car seat cushion. I asked on this site (I can't remember which thread now, though) and someone suggested, contacting Camira Fabrics and so I did.
I managed to buy an offcut, which I then took along to my local sewing shop, they shorten curtains and do alterations to wedding dresses, etc. They charged me £16 to fit the moquette onto the cushion and I was really pleased with the end result :D
50013547976_73d7204175_q.jpg

Robson

Nice work RacsoMoquette.

As an aside, these Youtube videos on the history of the London Transport moquette may be of interest:

The Londonist (with Andrew Martin) - A Brief History of Moquette

Geoff Marshall - Meet The Tube Moquette Designer:

The Londonist (with Geoff Marshall) - Which London Landmarks are in the Tube Moquette?

.... and for those with a spare 80 minutes to kill ....

London Transport Museum - Hidden London Hangouts Episode 7 - Moquette

London Transport Museum - Hidden London Hangouts S02E13 - Moquette a Second Sitting

Last edited:

RacsoMoquette

Many thanks for kindly presenting me with that simply splendid array of moquette related video! It does fascinate me how moquette fabric is produced and how it is designed.