• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Validity of routes for onwards connections (Advance tickets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John @ home

Established Member
In the thread 'Validity of routes for onwards connections (NXEC Advance)'

The routeing guide determines the route you can take.

That sentence got me thinking.

It happens that this Sunday I need to travel from Leeds to London. I found the £18 First Class Advance ticket route EMT & connections more attractive than the NXEC ticket at over £31 Standard Class with 1 hour 20 minutes on a bus from Peterborough to Stevenage. So I have booked on the 1750 Meridian from Sheffield.

Yorkie's comment has made me think about how I get to Sheffield. I could take the 1617 Leeds - Sheffield, reversing at Castleford. 86 minutes on a Pacer is better than 80 minutes on a bus, but not much better! But my main concern is that this option has a 7-minute connection at Sheffield - precisely the minimum allowance for that station. The prospect of missing this, together with the hassle of getting permission to travel on the next train and arriving at St Pancras nearly an hour later, makes me think it would be prudent for me to travel earlier from Leeds to Sheffield.

But then the fun starts! The obvious train would be the 1600 Leeds - Sheffield 1703, but that train runs via Doncaster. That is a valid route on a Leeds - Sheffield ticket (both because it is a through train and because it appears on map MM) but my inspection of the relevant maps (EE, EE+WA, ER, ER+NE and SY) suggests that the section between Doncaster and Swinton is not a valid route for a Leeds - London ticket (other than on the few EMT through Leeds - St Pancras via Doncaster trains).

The train before the 1600 (1509 Leeds - Rotherham Central - Sheffield 1621) seems even less attractive with 89 minutes to wait at Sheffield.

Any thoughts?

John

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How important is it, for you, that you get the 1750? If you are not desperate to get that train, then I don't see any reason not to go for the Pacer. If you miss it, it's a valid connection and you can get the next train.

If you want to get the 1750, but don't want to get a Pacer, then go for the XC service via Donny. If the normal route is replaced by buses they can hardly deny you going that way and the train is diverted anyway! I doubt anyone would moan at the use of a Leeds-London ticket via Conisbrough even if there was no diversions.

John @ home

Established Member
How important is it, for you, that you get the 1750? If you are not desperate to get that train, then I don't see any reason not to go for the Pacer.

Thanks. Yes, I think I'll settle for the Pacer - don't think I've been via Castleford before.

The latest complication is that EMT have cancelled most of their trains via Nottingham on Sunday and the train after the 1750 takes that route (1701 York - St Pancras). They say that only 'regional' services are cancelled and that those going to London will be OK. I hope they're right.

John

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Thanks. Yes, I think I'll settle for the Pacer - don't think I've been via Castleford before.

The latest complication is that EMT have cancelled most of their trains via Nottingham on Sunday and the train after the 1750 takes that route (1701 York - St Pancras). They say that only 'regional' services are cancelled and that those going to London will be OK. I hope they're right.

John

EMT tickets are being accepted on Northern on reasonable routes to make connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.