• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML blockade - impact on EMR services? (29/03 - 01/04)

Established Member
I thought the presumption was WCML passengers would use Bedford services. Wonder if they intend to use Derby/Sheffield services?

Hopefully the new queuing arrangements will help to ensure that’s what happens, or at least that those with reservations on IC services stand more of a chance of getting their booked seats.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Yes indeed. You can expect all of the above, and quite possibly worse, as I believe Easter is the busiest weekend of the year in terms of rail travel.
Maundy Thursday certainly was, historically, for long-weekenders (especially if some areas begin school holidays too. Good Friday morning and Easter Monday afternoon somewhat less IIRC.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Two Premiership football matches on Saturday could swell the numbers on EMR quite a bit:

Crystal Palace are travelling up to Nottingham Forest and Fulham are travelling up to Sheffield United.

Yes both Fulham fans might have to share a table.

Mikw

Just tried to buy a ticket from Leicester to Kettering today - no offence peak returns showing on Trainline until 14.15 pm. Only £25 returns in first class showing as available

1D54

And yet tickets are available on the EMR site at the normal prices until 09:43.

QSK19

Two Premiership football matches on Saturday could swell the numbers on EMR quite a bit:

Crystal Palace are travelling up to Nottingham Forest and Fulham are travelling up to Sheffield United.
Get some loco-hauled 360s on the route and the clash between Fulham and Palace fans may result in an early start to the refurbishment - after all, the seats do need ripping out and the interior needs a thorough refresh. Maybe the fans can help out for free :lol:

baz962

Established Member
Get some loco-hauled 360s on the route and the clash between Fulham and Palace fans may result in an early start to the refurbishment - after all, the seats do need ripping out and the interior needs a thorough refresh. Maybe the fans can help out for free :lol:
Ah but the Luton fans will probably be using the 360's .

baz962

Established Member
Have fun! :D
Fortunately I start after the game has started and my second trip is well after the game has finished ;) . Are we seeing you today or tomorrow. Actually I'm off tomorrow.

LTJ87

Just passed through St Pancras on return from Nottingham.

The queues were about the same as Friday and I’ve certainly seen far worse on a weekend.

D1537

I travelled from Wellingborough to St Pancras on Friday afternoon, returning on Saturday morning. Whilst the services were busy they were certainly not overcrowded and the queues at St Pancras were not excessive at all.

baz962

Established Member
I travelled from Wellingborough to St Pancras on Friday afternoon, returning on Saturday morning. Whilst the services were busy they were certainly not overcrowded and the queues at St Pancras were not excessive at all.
The time of day might have made a difference this time. Friday I saw some big queues but Saturday I was on empty ish trains , although chatting with a train manager that had worked some very busy trains. I was at st pancras earlier and there was a big queue and then just got back from Corby and the train was rammed. Currently going to Bedford on a Corby service and it's v quiet. But I have seen worse weekends too.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I passed through St Pancras around 14:00 this afternoon so ‘popped upstairs’ to see what was going on.

- Only one escalator working in the up direction due to maintenance. The two escalators in the down direction were both heaving with passengers who had just arrived (note one escalator would not cope here during maintenance without crowding the upper concourse).

- Separate queues for passengers with reservations and those without. Seemed like a sensible approach to me (similar to the set-up at Paddington on a Cardiff event day). Clearly, only a limited number of people without reservations will be allowed to board each service.

- Queues were not excessive when I passed through, although I expect the worst is yet to come.

- Clear announcements were being made over the public address system which was good.

Got to say it was the busiest I’d ever seen the downstairs areas of St Pancras outside of Eurostar severe disruption.