• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCRC loses judicial review in High Court

Rail Ranger

The Mark 1 TSO is empty and the exit doors are locked. It begs the question as to why it is in the train? The other two Mark 1s are a brake composite and the buffet car. There is presumably no heat on the train because there is nothing to provide heat.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1537

I have seen a photograph of the Jacobite crossing Glenfinnan Viaduct this afternoon. I don't have permission to share the photo however it clearly shows consist of 7 coaches mk2, mk1, mk2, mk1, mk2, mk1, mk2 with no generator van or second loco. I am very curious.
The MkIs all have their doors locked out of use. So WCRC has knocked together a 7 coach train with only 4 CDL-fitted vehicles.

No heat or aircon, of course, with no diesel or generator van.

Greybeard33

Established Member
The Mark 1 TSO is empty and the exit doors are locked. It begs the question as to why it is in the train? The other two Mark 1s are a brake composite and the buffet car. There is presumably no heat on the train because there is nothing to provide heat.
Might these Mk2s be fitted with through steam heating connections, so that the three Mk1s can be steam heated from the loco? Some warm air might then penetrate the corridor connections into the Mk2s.

12C

The MkIs all have their doors locked out of use. So WCRC has knocked together a 7 coach train with only 4 CDL-fitted vehicles.

No heat or aircon, of course, with no diesel or generator van.
Are passengers carried in the Mk1s? I would have thought this wouldn’t be allowed with every door locked out of use in the vehicle. But if not, what’s the point in them being in the rake, especially every alternate coach?

Also I wonder how the CDL is operating, I assume the Mk1s have been modified with through wiring? All very bizarre.

On Moderation
Are passengers carried in the Mk1s? I would have thought this wouldn’t be allowed with every door locked out of use in the vehicle. But if not, what’s the point in them being in the rake, especially every alternate coach?

Also I wonder how the CDL is operating, I assume the Mk1s have been modified with through wiring? All very bizarre.
I expect the ORR will have a "mystery shopper" up there to see what is going on.

12LDA28C

Established Member

CDL can operate from the coach batteries, as it used to in the days of CrossCountry trains when a no-heat loco was provided which could not provide train supply.

12C

CDL can operate from the coach batteries, as it used to in the days of CrossCountry trains when a no-heat loco was provided which could not provide train supply.
It would need through wiring via the mk1s to be centrally controlled though. As far as I’m aware Mk1 stock wasn’t previously fitted with this.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

But it can’t be centrally controlled unless the mk1s are wired for it.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
As WCRC cancelled all bookings until tomorrow or Friday and then invited some passengers to rebook at a couple of day's notice I would guess the trains aren't very busy at the moment. Whether the MK 1s are empty or not from Saturday will be more interesting.

On Moderation
Good to see WCRC treating its customers with contempt by not providing them with any heating while charging them £65 for a ticket. It’s not exactly warm up there at the moment.

Greybeard33

Established Member
As WCRC cancelled all bookings until tomorrow or Friday and then invited some passengers to rebook at a couple of day's notice I would guess the trains aren't very busy at the moment. Whether the MK 1s are empty or not from Saturday will be more interesting.
According to the WCR website:
We do have a small amount of standard class seats available to book for the 18th, 19th and 20th April 2024.
The guard may have a limited number of seats available each day on a ‘Cash Only’ basis. However, these operate on a first come, first served basis and cannot be guaranteed. Available seats can be purchased from the guard at Fort William Station.

Invincible

Had la websearch for the photo without success, might be in a private Facebook group?. Did notice a post from someone who got a last minute return ticket for the train. Had a coffee in town and returned on the train which seemed to go well but he gave no details about the carriages.

paul1609

Established Member
At a guess its to even up the braking effect throughout the train to reduce snatching and the risk of wheeelflats.

paul1609

Established Member
An out and back journey in an unheated train at this time of year is not very inviting.
My last train at the K&ESR last week was 15 to 16 degrees unheated @10am. We did put the steam heat up but without it it would have been "coats and jumpers" rather than unbearable or freezing tbh.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
An out and back journey in an unheated train at this time of year is not very inviting.

Indeed it’s sounds like a horrendously bodged operation (standard many would claim for WCRC), driven out of panic that LSL have run some trains up there.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Or they wanted to make money and it took a few weeks to clean the mould off some old mark 2s.

Yes a fear of loosing money so they decide to run a bodged operation by providing unheated trains running in temperatures of 5/6c outside.

Nowhere on the website does it say the trains are unheated and you need to bring warm clothes so I stand by my comment it’s a bodged operation borne out of panic.

Yes a fear of loosing money so they decide to run a bodged operation by providing unheated trains running in temperatures of 5/6c outside.

Nowhere on the website does it say the trains are unheated and you need to bring warm clothes so I stand by my comment it’s a bodged operation .
I didnt say it wasn't bodged but to automatically jumping to say it was done because of LSL is wrong. The stock doesn't make any money sitting still and the staff are likely on longer term contracts so that is already paid . The only cost that won't be saved from not running is cost of the coal

alexl92

Established Member
Are these MK2s part of the longer rake that WC have been using in the past few weeks or are they some additional ones?
Thanks