• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happened to the Hazel Grove to Blackpool North service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeccaOnATrain

I've checked RealTimeTrains for some dates this month and I can't see Hazel Grove to Blackpool North on any days.
The Northern website has a header for this service on their timetable 'N27 - Blackpool North to Manchester Victoria. Preston to Hazel Grove' - but none of the timetables in that section show a Blackpool North to Hazel Grove service, nor a Preston to Hazel Grove service like the header indicates.
The service is gone from Wikipedia - seems it was edited out at some point in 2022.

Google search isn't showing me any news articles about that service being cut.. though that might just be Google search not being very good these days. But I would be surprised if there wasn't a load of angry people from the Stockport area missing out on at least the Hazel Grove to Stockport/Manchester part that the service used to provide.

Was this service cancelled at some point, or is it only a summer service? I'm fairly certain I recall going on it as recently as 2021.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think the service runs Blackpool North - Manchester Airport these days, so a change at Piccadilly is required.

MP393

It was changed as part of the Manchester Recovery Task Force timetable change which was to help reliability through the bottleneck section through Manchester. Both Blackpool services now go to & from Manchester Airport

BeccaOnATrain

It was changed as part of the Manchester Recovery Task Force timetable change which was to help reliability through the bottleneck section through Manchester. Both Blackpool services now go to & from Manchester Airport
Thank you - I've found some documents and reports relating to that as well as the thread on here. Makes for interesting reading.. !

I didn't quite appreciate the amount of changes to timetables made by Northern over the past few years. I really need to pay more attention to what's going on closer to home with services! :)

PTR 444

Established Member
To think the Bolton corridor has gone from 2 trains an hour to Stockport, to none
So much for connectivity of the area...
For good reason - to improve reliability in the entire North West of England.

tom1649

This change has once again left Hazel Grove with very few electric trains.

Established Member
It is just history repeating itself as the Buxton - Blackpool North services were ended due to poor reliability (at key junctions) so why they thought it was going to be a good idea again….

This change has once again left Hazel Grove with very few electric trains.
If they amended the diagrams they could have electric trains from Manchester Piccadilly - Hazel Grove for most of the day but as usual operational convenience takes priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.