• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is london like right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
This is not supposed to be a pro- or anti-strike comment, but, the whole point of Labour is to stand up for certain ideals and listen to strikers rather than condemn them.

Perhaps the union is behaving like the Tories - hence the animosity....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thanks for the help folks. Glad the government hasn't lockdown the country yet.
What are the chances that anti-lockdown/vaccine/vaccine passport protests will run next week. Don't want to bump into piers Corbyn and his "bodyguards"/followers etc somewehere in central london.
And finally, what are the open top bus tours like at the moment. My family and i are considering doing the Xmas lights tour one evening. Are these tours busy/popular right now or nobody using them, either in the evening or during the day.

RailExplorer

What are the chances that anti-lockdown/vaccine/vaccine passport protests will run next week. Don't want to bump into piers Corbyn and his "bodyguards"/followers etc somewehere in central london.
And finally, what are the open top bus tours like at the moment. My family and i are considering doing the Xmas lights tour one evening. Are these tours busy/popular right now or nobody using them, either in the evening or during the day.
If there's a protest planned it will go ahead. But just like Extinction Rebellion protests in London, they are easily avoided. If you see a protest then you simply do a U-turn and go elsewhere. London is a huge place. Also, as these anti-vaccine passport protests are pretty big, the chance of seeing the likes of Corbyn are tiny. You will just see a huge group of everyday normal people uniting together. Doubt most even know who piers Corbyn is!

deltic

Established Member
The ones I have seen have been pretty empty- that is during the day - and they dont seem to be as many of them operating as usual

greyman42

Established Member
Considering the very cold weather i would have thought they would be very quiet.

MikeWM

Established Member
If there's a protest planned it will go ahead. But just like Extinction Rebellion protests in London, they are easily avoided. If you see a protest then you simply do a U-turn and go elsewhere. London is a huge place. Also, as these anti-vaccine passport protests are pretty big, the chance of seeing the likes of Corbyn are tiny. You will just see a huge group of everyday normal people uniting together. Doubt most even know who piers Corbyn is!

As someone who went on a couple of these marches in the summer, I entirely agree - I don't think I've ever seen any other protest that was so representative of our society in pretty much every way (age, gender, ethnicity, etc.). Extremely friendly and there would be no issues if you were passing by at the time.

On the wider question, I'd say London today - apart from masks - felt exactly like it would on a Saturday in December. In other words, busy...

leytongabriel

If you go to a big event they might do temperature testing at the door. it's a bit hit and miss. Still some resistance to wearing masks in shops and on public transport it seems. But life is as near-normal still as it has been since all this started.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Don't want to bump into piers Corbyn and his "bodyguards"/followers etc somewehere in central london.
You'd get plenty of warning with the phalanx of lights and cameras surrounding these robots, the presence of which seems to whizz them into action.

3rd rail land

I love a good pub though, so I do my best to go to them as much as possible, but I vow to swerve the ones where lager is £6+ a pint, especially as you say where they add service charge. Fullers is particularly bad at this.
Whenever I ordered by app at a Fullers place I declined the service charge and it was not added. It was prompt just before making payment so it's not as if they were making it hard to avoid the service charge.

That said one time I went to a Fullers place where a staff member had to come over to your table to take the order. The guy who served us the whole even9ing was cheerful and friendly and was deserving of the 12.5% service charge that was added to the bill. Someone who bring over drinks/food that ahs been ordered on an app isn't so deserving in my opinion and I wouldn't agree to pay a service charge for that in the same way that one doesn't pay a service charge when ordering at the bar.

route101

Established Member
London has been busy the last few Saturdays I have been. I noticed more overseas visitors, which was something that was absent even in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.