• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is this train on the Met line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzak

Hi knowledgable people.

My daughter uses Croxley station on the Metropolitan line most days and keeps seeing this train...

IMG-20231010-WA0004.jpg

It shows up at Croxley each morning at the same time going towards Moor Park. Any ideas what it is and why?
Apologies for my ignorance.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MasterSpenny

Hi knowledgable people.

My daughter uses Croxley station on the Metropolitan line most days and keeps seeing this train...

View attachment 145446

It shows up at Croxley each morning at the same time going towards Moor Park. Any ideas what it is and why?
Apologies for my ignorance.

Cheers
Its the Rail Adhesion train that I believe grits the tracks during the autumn. It was on the District Line until about 2017 from what I remember.

gazzak

Its the Rail Adhesion train that I believe grits the tracks during the autumn. It was on the District Line until about 2017 from what I remember.

Thanks for the information @MasterSpenny , that makes perfect sense. It does say district line on one of the windows in that photo which also makes sense now.
It seems to appear after rush hour each day. Perhaps it's just the schedule it's keeping to or maybe it's simply keeping out of the way of the traffic?

Somewhere

Thanks for the information @MasterSpenny It seems to appear after rush hour each day. Perhaps it's just the schedule it's keeping to or maybe it's simply keeping out of the way of the traffic?
It will be in the timetable same as any other train, with a driver booked to work it too

bluegoblin7

Established Member
It’s a bit of both - the RAT has a regular, working timetable path throughout leaf fall season, but much of this path is constructed so as to keep it out of the way of normal services. It will also be diverted, cancelled or run early/late if there’s disruption across the Met line. The RAT has two test train operators booked on it for 12 hour shifts, so can easily run additional trips if required.

Worth mentioning that there are two RATs available on the Met - both heavily modified 5-car units, now in a fixed formation. All have been created from 4x3-car single-enders; a fifth D78 double-ender remains in Neasden for spares. Further D78 vehicles are also in Acton Works for static training use.

H&I

Is it possible to find out in the working timetable when the train will run? It would be nice to get some video footage of it!

gazzak

Thanks for all the replies, really informative and useful.
I'll wander up to Croxley station one morning next week and grab some video @H&I

Nym

Established Member
It’s a bit of both - the RAT has a regular, working timetable path throughout leaf fall season, but much of this path is constructed so as to keep it out of the way of normal services. It will also be diverted, cancelled or run early/late if there’s disruption across the Met line. The RAT has two test train operators booked on it for 12 hour shifts, so can easily run additional trips if required.

Worth mentioning that there are two RATs available on the Met - both heavily modified 5-car units, now in a fixed formation. All have been created from 4x3-car single-enders; a fifth D78 double-ender remains in Neasden for spares. Further D78 vehicles are also in Acton Works for static training use.
Very very heavily modified.

The list is very looong as to the changes that have been made to these units, but not some things that you'd expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.