• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What rail projects are at risk of being cancelled due to Covid19?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic

Established Member
I understand that Crossrail 2 has been put on hold for the forseeable future. While shovel ready schemes such as HS2 are progressing, what other rail projects are at risk of either being heavily delayed or dropped completely?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can I ask that, to avoid duplication, we don't discuss HS2 in this thread please.

If anyone wishes to discuss HS2, please read the existing thread and add to that thread if you wish to make a point that hasn't already been raised before.

PTR 444

Established Member
I understand that Crossrail 2 has been put on hold for the forseeable future. While shovel ready schemes such as HS2 are progressing, what other rail projects are at risk of either being heavily delayed or dropped completely?

Heathrow Western Access?

If demand for air travel drops as much as people forecast, any rail link built to serve it would probably be considered a white elephant. Mind you, traffic will likely be back to pre-covid levels by the time any new infrastructure project is completed, knowing how long it takes us Brits to get projects off the ground.

deltic

Established Member
Heathrow Western Access?

If demand for air travel drops as much as people forecast, any rail link built to serve it would probably be considered a white elephant. Mind you, traffic will likely be back to pre-covid levels by the time any new infrastructure project is completed, knowing how long it takes us Brits to get projects off the ground.

Agree if the third runway gets kicked into the long grass then it and southern access scheme will probably go

bramling

Veteran Member

Watch out for some London Underground schemes. Piccadilly Line resignalling I suspect is dead for the foreseeable future (it was already 90% dead anyway and this is the final nail in the coffin). I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s further delay to the fleet replacements on the Piccadilly, Bakerloo and Central Lines - bets open as to how old the 72 stock will be when it finally goes! Also some station schemes could be in doubt - Holborn is one to watch.

HH

Established Member
Agree if the third runway gets kicked into the long grass then it and southern access scheme will probably go
I know someone who was working on this and they seem convinced that the third runway is a dead duck.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The reason for some of these projects is to enable more trains to run

If people start going back to work we could probably do with the extra trains to allow people to stay socially distanced whilst travelling.

Alas by the time such projects would be completed, the virus may have died out.

deltic

Established Member
I would hope that electrification projects would go ahead given the recent DfT decarbonisation paper but anything that is for capacity reasons is likely to go on hold. All of TfL projects that havent started will be kicked into the long grass.

popeter45

I know someone who was working on this and they seem convinced that the third runway is a dead duck.
with so many airlines going under or downsizing heathrow slots are highly likely to be one of the first things to be sold considering what they can make from selling them so i predict the slot utilisation will drop heavily, kills off argument for third runway for a very long time if not forever if flight shaming prevents growth of the flight sector post covid

HH

Established Member
with so many airlines going under or downsizing heathrow slots are highly likely to be one of the first things to be sold considering what they can make from selling them so i predict the slot utilisation will drop heavily, kills off argument for third runway for a very long time if not forever if flight shaming prevents growth of the flight sector post covid
Yes, it's clear that most airlines are expecting a long term downturn in air travel, so increasing capacity has no logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.