• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What train encapulates your childhood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CW2

Established Member
Class 117 DMU, standard fare on the local services out of Paddington.
Hymeks on peak hour trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southsider

A 303 in Caledonian blue.
Me too although I can vaguely remember the steam trains they replaced on the north Clyde. A trip out to Helensburgh with a driver’s eye view was fantastic and so modern with sliding doors, a step up from the steam that could still be seen between Bishopton and Woodhall on the other side of the Clyde. When the 311s arrived they were space age with their fluorescent lighting.

416GSi

Class 310s' on local services and Class 85 or 86's with Mark 2F and Mark 1 Buffet cars and one or two Mark 1 BG's on Inter-City services. All in Blue Gray, until the InterCity Executive came in around 1983's, when it became a right mix!

MarkWi72

Class 310s' on local services and Class 85 or 86's with Mark 2F and Mark 1 Buffet cars and one or two Mark 1 BG's on Inter-City services. All in Blue Gray, until the InterCity Executive came in around 1983's, when it became a right mix!
Sounds like near where I grew up.

Daytona

I recall being intimidated by Deltic The Fife & Forfar Yeomanry as I walked past it as a child at Paddington after a trip. Just idling, it was incredibly loud - barely restrained power.

Before that the first loco I remember was 50043 Eagle at Newton Abbot

Freight trains going to Wetherby goods station from up Harrogate way. As they approached the junction where the line to Wetherby passenger station turned to the right, they'd whistle, and if my elder sister and I heard the whistle we'd run across a field to a bridge which carried a lane over the freight line. We'd stand on the bridge, hoping it was a freight train that had whistled, and if it passed under the bridge we were on we'd sometimes be enveloped in smoke.

By the time we moved from Wetherby around July/August 1963, the whistle was rarely heard, and there'd been a row of wagons left standing on the line for some months, to the south-east of the bridge.

D6130

Established Member
I recall being intimidated by Deltic The Fife & Forfar Yeomanry as I walked past it as a child at Paddington after a trip. Just idling, it was incredibly loud - barely restrained power.
I suspect that would have been at Kings Cross, rather than Paddington.

Status
Not open for further replies.