• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where else in the UK could tramways/light rail be installed?

As much as I have benefitted from the £2 bus cap, it has made boarding a much slower process as everyone awkwardly asks for single tickets rather than scanning a QR code, plus the wait for everyone that needs to get off first.

I would definitely welcome double doors. I'm not too sure about off-bus ticketing, as I wouldn't want to pay for a bus that isn't guaranteed to arrive. If the £2 bus cap did become permanent, I would like the TFL style of ticketing with a tap-in pad for contactless with a daily fare cap or a local area Oyster card equivalent.
I dont understand why they dont just set the machines to a default payment of £2 a a beep when it goes through successfully, like what London, Birmingham and Manchester do, any other ticket you have to ask for

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainlog

I dont understand why they dont just set the machines to a default payment of £2 a a beep when it goes through successfully, like what London, Birmingham and Manchester do, any other ticket you have to ask for
It does come down to the fact that a fair amount of short journeys are still under £2 and it would make those that need them end up paying more than prior to the cap coming in last year. As i say i would definetly welcome just being able to scan a local Oyster equivalent card and get on than stating what part of a town i need to go to, especially if i need to repeat the name of the stop to the driver.

Still, there has been times where the slow boarding has came in handy, especially when i am running late for the bus:lol:.

railfan99

Established Member
Electric buses are an option, but trams can be more reliable/frequent than buses as they can be placed onto dedicated track lanes without traffic. Also, trams have higher capacity than buses. Also, cities with trams can have 35% of journeys done by tram, so delivers proportionately larger profits so can subsidies unprofitable bus routes, so can increase bus driver pay. But yes, electric buses can get to areas outside the tram's radius so could cooperate with the tram on shared timetables.

As a Melbourne, Australia resident I won't say our tram network is 'best in class' as c.80 per cent of tracks are shared with motor vehicles and other road users (though it's become the largest worldwide after Moscow reduced its route kilometres), meaning slow running times, and stops can sometimes be as close as 200 metres from the previous one, a result of history and failure to close some stops.

It's noticeable in my city that when tram track renewal works occur and trams are replaced by buses that deviate around works, patronage immediately hugely declines, even where there's no nearby railway station with suburban trains as an alternative.

My guess is we have higher car ownership per capita than any British city but even so, trams are used by many. Fare evasion is a problem but that's off topic.

daodao

Established Member
@railfan99

Melbourne is unique in being the only city in the Anglosphere (and probably the wider world) of over 1 million that has not developed a metro system (as distinct from a suburban rail network) and has retained its tram system essentially intact. Other large cities of over 1 million that retained a large tram system have generally developed metros that have replaced some of their busiest tram lines.

There are only a handful of cities in Great Britain that don't already have some form of metro/light rail/suburban rail network, and where a new light rail/tram route/network might be appropriate. I mentioned a few places (including Leeds) in post 56 of this thread; Bristol is another city where there might be sufficient demand, but it is difficult to envisage how to build a useful route/network there.

railfan99

Established Member
All of the above could have significant stretches of reserved track, which is the key to modern light rail development.

Agree. One of the slowest tram routes in a 'developed' nation I've encountered was in Toronto, Canada: super congested.

In England, I found Nottingham good, even when travelling inbound during a weekday morning peak, but from memory much was on reserved track. Perhaps when shops have opened, the street running is slower.