• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm14

If you just put buffer in without adding any cells it returns an inconclusive result, not negative.
I've tried it several times out of curiosity on NHS lateral flow tests, and it has always returned a negative result.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danm14

Interesting. I’ve tried the same with the converse result…
New vs old lateral flow tests perhaps? All of mine were the old blue-box type, the newer ones seem not to have reached Northern Ireland yet.

duncanp

Established Member
The Daily Telegraph is reporting that the travel ban on UK and other citizens entering the United States is set to be lifted from November 8th.

Nothing official yet, and obviously we will have to wait and see what happens.

But presumably The Telegraph must have some reason for going ahead and reporting this, so nevertheless it is a good sign, regardless of whether you have any current plans to visit the United States.

Looks like my trip to the U.S. next April is on. :D :D :D (only two years after it was originally planned)

US set to lift UK travel ban on November 8​

Exclusive: Joe Biden is understood to be eyeing the early November date for restarting transatlantic travel

The US is set to reopen transatlantic flights with Britain in early November as Joe Biden prepares to lift the 18-month ban on fully jabbed UK travellers.

The President is understood to be eyeing November 8 as the restart date for travel that has been in deep freeze since Donald Trump imposed the ban at the start of the pandemic last year.

The Biden administration announced last month that passengers who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 would be able to fly to the US from anywhere in the world from November.

However, in the past few weeks there have been hints from administration officials that the continuing scale of the pandemic in parts of America could delay it until Thanksgiving at the end of November.

Last week Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, disputed the speculation, saying he remained optimistic that it could restart in early November and had been reassured as such by the US administration.

Now it appears the US is to go ahead with an early November restart. Travellers will have to show proof of having been fully vaccinated and a negative test taken in the previous three days, starting in early November.

Masks mandatory on flights​

They will also have to wear a mask for the journey and share their telephone number and email address for contact tracing.

Since last year, people without US citizenship, green cards or specific exemptions have been banned from travelling to the US if they have been in the UK, Ireland, the Schengen area, China, India, Iran, South Africa or Brazil in the previous 14 days.

Boris Johnson and President Biden agreed to set up a joint taskforce to restart travel when they met at the G7 summit in Cornwall in June although the Prime Minister told colleagues that the US president appeared “very reluctant” to reboot flights.

In a bid to reinvigorate travel, the UK has since announced that fully jabbed Americans can come to the UK without having to quarantine but the US has yet to reciprocate

PS.

November 8th has now been confirmed by the White House press secretary, according to Sky News. :D :D

The US’ new travel policy that requires vaccination for foreign national travelers to the United States will begin on Nov 8. This announcement and date applies to both international air travel and land travel. This policy is guided by public health, stringent, and consistent.

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
The Daily Telegraph is reporting that the travel ban on UK and other citizens entering the United States is set to be lifted from November 8th.

Nothing official yet, and obviously we will have to wait and see what happens.

But presumably The Telegraph must have some reason for going ahead and reporting this, so nevertheless it is a good sign, regardless of whether you have any current plans to visit the United States.

Looks like my trip to the U.S. next April is on. :D :D :D (only two years after it was originally planned)

PS.

November 8th has now been confirmed by the White House press secretary, according to Sky News. :D :D

VIRGIN ATLANTIC have also tweeted that the USA is open from November the 8th. didn't say if you just need to be double jabbed or PCR as well, but assume as the Telegraph says you do, then it will be a PCR too

Jamiescott1

Having arrived back from Crete last Friday I did my day 2 test on Sunday and got a negative result on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, it seems that someone on the same flight got a positive result and I was contacted by test and trace as a close contact and asked to take a PCR test, which I took on Wednesday morning. I got a negative result on Thursday.

The contact was from test and trace rather than the NHS Covid application. So it wasn't as a result of sitting near someone on the flight or the half-hour queue for immigration at Gatwick.

Since I had to submit my seat number I assume it must mean that someone on a nearby seat was positive in their test. Does anyone know how close they have to be sitting or do they just ask everyone on the same plane to take another test?

Similar happened to me, I was contacted 8 days after my flight and had to isolate for 2 days (this was in July when close contacts had to isolate)

I took a flight in August and was asked to swap seats with someone as they didn't want to sit in an emergency row. Would be frustrating to be contacted by t&t for being deemed a close contact on your allocated seat number that you didn't actually sit in

johncrossley

Established Member
Is there a definition of what counts as a 'trip' to the Netherlands? The UK has a rule that you need to have a test if you have been abroad (except Ireland) in the last 10 days. I can't find any such time limit on the Dutch government website. So what happens if you 'break your journey' in France or Germany, for example?

Cdd89

Established Member
Is there a definition of what counts as a 'trip' to the Netherlands?
For quarantine (which no longer applies if vaccinated, but it’s a potentially useful reference), one of the exemptions was a trip in which 10 days had been spent outside a very high risk country.

10 days in an area not designated as very high risk
This applies to people who, immediately prior to their arrival in the Netherlands, have stayed in an area not designated as very high risk for at least 10 consecutive days.
Documents required
Quarantine declaration or proof of accomodation
Travellers must be able to provide a document showing that, in the 10 days immediately prior to their arrival in the Netherlands, they were staying in an area not designated as very high risk

There is no equivalent list for testing. As you say, it’s all very vague. It’s very unlikely anyone will care though.

LAX54

Established Member
For quarantine (which no longer applies if vaccinated, but it’s a potentially useful reference), one of the exemptions was a trip in which 10 days had been spent outside a very high risk country.

There is no equivalent list for testing. As you say, it’s all very vague. It’s very unlikely anyone will care though.
Had an email from, what turned out to be the 'Embassy of The Netherlands in the UK', who said that whilst the NHS test app is not recognised in The Netherlands, (except for getting into the Country) and its mainly used for Entertainment and Dining / Cafes etc, many establishments do accept it as proof and valid, so, based on that, you'd think the Dutch Government would make it official, and easier for everyone including locals !

Butts

Veteran Member
Has anyone been into Germany recently by Air.

I filled out my PLF for my Dusseldorf trip on Friday and didn't get any receipt or opportunity to print the document off - is this normal ?

Jamiescott1

I filled out my PLF for my Dusseldorf trip on Friday and didn't get any receipt or opportunity to print the document off - is this normal ?
Went in August and from memory I printed it as had to show copy at checkin
Can't remember getting an email

adc82140

Established Member
A family member is travelling abroad this week. I have a couple of the return to UK lateral flow tests I bought a month ago but never used, that are no longer needed. It seems these can't be used as day 2 return tests, so he's had to buy a new testing kit. There also seems to be a shortage of LFTs for travel, but Randox sold him a PCR for the price of a LFT.

nlogax

Established Member
We're now back in the situation where other countries are considering blocking UK visitors due to our increasing case numbers. Immediate example; I hope nobody here has an imminent holiday in Morocco.

Established Member

If I remember correctly, I was able to download a PDF confirmation. This was after filling the form out but before uploading proof of vaccination.

adc82140

Established Member
We're now back in the situation where other countries are considering blocking UK visitors due to our increasing case numbers. Immediate example; I hope nobody here has an imminent holiday in Morocco.
Morocco only has a 50% vaccinaction rate. I can understand their nervousness. They have also blocked visitors from Germany and the Netherlands. Countries with a high rate like France (86%) don't even have a red list for vaccinated visitors.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation

Hopefully not Italy - just booked a flight to go there in December, wouldn't really fancy 10 day quarantine on arrival if I could avoid it.

Butts

Veteran Member
If I remember correctly, I was able to download a PDF confirmation. This was after filling the form out but before uploading proof of vaccination.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I had BA on my back for copies of various docs and found a PDF of my German Entry Form on my Computer. God knows how it got there but I am now clear to Fly ( at least according to BA)

Shame the Dusseldorf Lounge is not open to BA passengers at the moment for my return journey.

P Binnersley

Guidance has been issued to companies offering Day 2 Lateral Flow Tests.

The requirements for a home test are that the test result must be verified by the provider with, as a minimum, a single photographic evidence, when the test is self-administered meeting the following criteria:
- The lateral flow test device must be identifiable as the test provider’s
- The photograph must also show the international arrival’s unique test booking reference
- The result must be clearly visible

The test result must be verified by the provider with, as a minimum, a single photographic evidence, when the test is self-administered meeting the following criteria:

Butts

Veteran Member
Guidance has been issued to companies offering Day 2 Lateral Flow Tests.

The requirements for a home test are that the test result must be verified by the provider with, as a minimum, a single photographic evidence, when the test is self-administered meeting the following criteria:
- The lateral flow test device must be identifiable as the test provider’s
- The photograph must also show the international arrival’s unique test booking reference
- The result must be clearly visible

The test result must be verified by the provider with, as a minimum, a single photographic evidence, when the test is self-administered meeting the following criteria:

Are they on sale yet I'm going to Germany tomorrow and returning on the 25th.

What provision is there for people who have not got a camera phone or laptop with picture taking facility ? - Do you send off a Polaroid Snap ?

People are already not bothering to do the PCR ones and I can see the same happening with these, just get the code and forget about the test.

danm14

What provision is there for people who have not got a camera phone or laptop with picture taking facility ? - Do you send off a Polaroid Snap ?
As anyone who is entitled to use a lateral flow test is not required to isolate (unvaccinated people must continue to use PCR tests), they could visit a neighbour or friend, or ask them to visit, to take the necessary photograph.

Anyone who can't do this would, I assume, have little choice but to opt for a PCR test as they would at present (these will remain permitted) - or if they want to use a lateral flow test to choose a provider who supervises them in person.

P Binnersley

Supposed to be on sale tomorrow, but the regulations haven't been changed yet.

The guidance says

"By law, all tests privately provided for international arrivals must meet and maintain the minimum standards from 12 November 2021. The standards for day 2 lateral flow tests are outlined below."

I'm not sure if that means Lateral flow tests won't start until 12tth November, or the providers don't have to meet the standards from 25th October to 11th November. They were supposed to publish a list of providers today.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well sitting in the Lounge at Edinburgh Airport I have just booked an £18.80 Lateral Flow Test for my return to the UK on Monday through Chronomics.

It will be posted on Monday apparently, but more importantly I have the code for my PLF to return to the UK.

island

Veteran Member
Are they on sale yet I'm going to Germany tomorrow and returning on the 25th.

If you do not possess a suitable device you would need to either take the test in person at the provider's facility or take a PCR test.
People are already not bothering to do the PCR ones and I can see the same happening with these, just get the code and forget about the test.
I suspect that will continue.
Well sitting in the Lounge at Edinburgh Airport I have just booked an £18.80 Lateral Flow Test for my return to the UK on Monday through Chronomics.

It will be posted on Monday apparently, but more importantly I have the code for my PLF to return to the UK.
I'm afraid barring a last minute change by Nicola you have wasted your money as only England (from the 24th) and Wales (from the 31st) are accepting LFTs for day 2 test. Scotland is still requiring PCRs.

Butts

Veteran Member
If you do not possess a suitable device you would need to either take the test in person at the provider's facility or take a PCR test.

I suspect that will continue.

I'm afraid barring a last minute change by Nicola you have wasted your money as only England (from the 24th) and Wales (from the 31st) are accepting LFTs for day 2 test. Scotland is still requiring PCRs.

Well I will be entering the UK at London Heathrow Airport, I am then transferring to London City Airport later the same day for a Flight up to Edinburgh.

It will be interesting to see whether the PLF Form accepts the code I have.

My International Leg is from Dusseldorf to Heathrow where I then (hopefully) leave the Airport entering England and make a Domestic journey up to Scotland.

Guess I will find out how "smart" the system is tomorrow when I fill the PLF out 48 Hours before my return.

Cdd89

Established Member
I just booked one, the cheapest supplier I found was SimplyTestMe at £12. I’d expect this to be undercut again, the tests are about £3 each so by keeping fulfilment/shipping/website/verification costs low there’s plenty of profit to be made.

Butts

Veteran Member
I have filled out my PLF with no problem and generated the required document to enter the UK along with the QR Code.

I entered my Scottish Address and the Chronomics code for a Lateral Flow Test which was accepted.

Is this because I am entering the UK at LHR in England hence meeting the criteria and then travelling onto Scotland afterwards ?

island

Veteran Member
I have filled out my PLF with no problem and generated the required document to enter the UK along with the QR Code.

I entered my Scottish Address and the Chronomics code for a Lateral Flow Test which was accepted.

Is this because I am entering the UK at LHR in England hence meeting the criteria and then travelling onto Scotland afterwards ?
I suspect the form does not know one code from the next, only whether the code is an acceptable format and (maybe) whether it’s been used before.

As you’ve not got a booking for an acceptable test you’ll be committing an offence when you enter Scotland, but like most of the COVID rules enforcement is thin on the ground.

Butts

Veteran Member
I suspect the form does not know one code from the next, only whether the code is an acceptable format and (maybe) whether it’s been used before.

As you’ve not got a booking for an acceptable test you’ll be committing an offence when you enter Scotland, but like most of the COVID rules enforcement is thin on the ground.

If I've not got a booking for an acceptable test and the Government consider it that important why does the form not pick it up ?

Which offence will I be committing and what is the paper trail involved in bringing me to book if they decide to do so ?

Status
Not open for further replies.