• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which Southern depot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbutton

I'm in the pipeline for a trainee driver role with Southern that was advertised for "All London depots". I've gathered a bit of info from old threads about the four options, but I'm hoping someone (preferably a current driver) can help bring it all into one place.

So, what are the pluses and minuses for each of the four depots? I'm within 30 minutes of each, although Selhurst and Norwood are a lot closer than London Bridge and Victoria.

Which routes are signed on the lowest links? What's the work like?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W230

Established Member
I'm in the pipeline for a trainee driver role with Southern that was advertised for "All London depots". I've gathered a bit of info from old threads about the four options, but I'm hoping someone (preferably a current driver) can help bring it all into one place.
Speaking to a Vic driver yesterday who said he thought that Vic is probably the most likely place for new recruits.

Which routes are signed on the lowest links? What's the work like?
I think there are two links at Vic. At the moment new drivers go into link 2 and sign three core routes. I understand that getting route learning time for the additional routes is proving difficult at the moment as Southern are so short of drivers they can't release them to go route learning.

I should add, I don't work for Southern but another London TOC. This info was all from speaking to one of their drivers yesterday. Best bet is take Vicpaul up on his offer of a PM.

redbutton

Thanks everyone. I've spoken with a couple of people via PM. Very enlightening!

JB25

I am based at Selhurst if you want a valid opinion about it rather than those from outside who just slate it because it is fashionable to do so. :)

I can tell you at Norwood you won't touch 171s for at least 5 years and Milton Keynes for near enough 10 years.

Selhurst our routes are as follows:

Link 4:
•Selhurst Depot
•Victoria / London Bridge to Caterham
•Purley to Tattenham Corner
•Balham to Sutton (via Norbury & via Crystal Palace) - this additionally means you then sign Vic to Bridge rounders
•Sutton to Epsom Downs & Epsom
•London Bridge to Beckenham Jct & West Croydon (via Tulse Hill)
•Streatham Hill Depot

Link 3:
•Balham to Dorking (via Mitchams)
•Purley to Reigate (via Redhill)

Link 2:
•Guildford (via Leatherhead)

Link 1:
•Streatham to Sutton (via Wimbledon)
•Dorking to Horsham
•East Croydon to Horsham
•East Croydon to Brighton (via Quarry Lines)

Lots of variety there down the years. :)

Vicpaul

It's sic and better than going to tattenham at 5mph. How are those ridiculously early starts treaty g you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.