• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who is your FAVOURITE TOC? - vote here!

Which is your favourite TOC?

• Arriva Trains Wales

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • c2c

• Chiltern

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • CrossCountry

• East Midlands Trains

• First Capital Connect

• First Hull Trains

• First Great Western

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • First TransPennine Express

• Grand Central Railway

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Heathrow Connect

• Heathrow Express

• London Midland

• London Overground

• MerseyRail

• NXEA

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • NXEC

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Northern Rail

• ScotRail

• Southern

• Southeastern

• South West Trains

• Virgin Trains

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • WSMR

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lampshade

Established Member
We have a thread for our least favourites. Now let's see who are the best, please take a second to vote!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
Urgh - how many times has this appeared over the last year or so.

Use the search button, an answer will be provided for you in a previous thread.

Established Member
Chiltern and WSMR are the top dogs IMO and I think others share the opinion from what ive heard, someone told me DB are going to put a bid in for the ECML (Doubt it but still ill carry on..) and I think they would do a great job of it.

all staff on WSMR and Chiltern are great keep up the great work!

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
Grand Central for the reason they believe in my local area Sunderland enough to run a train service when no one else could be bothered. Even if all goes wrong, at least they tried. Plus the service is top notch.:D In a distant second place, I would say NXEC for the reason Ive never had any bother with them and they have decent reader offers in the local papers. A special mention must also go to Trenitalia, I had the pleasure to travel with them a few times on holiday and they were very lenient with me in letting me off a 50 euro fine for not understanding the rules. (I bought a ticket, but didnt realise it needed to be validated in a little yellow machine!)

Last edited:

Established Member
Open access are the best because they give places a direct service and if there is one thing people hate its changing trains, I think there is a need for more to be set up, I read about Glasgow Trains (ran by the same guys who do WSMR) Liverpool-Glasgow. If you can find 2 good places but no direct service then you can do open access.I think Blackpool-London could be a good one. I like how the open access companies are thinking, if we can re-open up some of the closed lines we could get the railways looking good again :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Urgh - how many times has this appeared over the last year or so.

Use the search button, an answer will be provided for you in a previous thread.

You never know - opinions might have changed since the last time. And franchisees seem to change quite frequently. For me it's East Midlands Trains and their cheap 1st class HST fares that are floating my boat at the moment.

TrainBrain185

Grand Central for the reason they believe in my local area Sunderland enough to run a train service when no one else could be bothered. Even if all goes wrong, at least they tried. Plus the service is top notch.:D In a distant second place, I would say NXEC for the reason Ive never had any bother with them and they have decent reader offers in the local papers. A special mention must also go to Trenitalia, I had the pleasure to travel with them a few times on holiday and they were very lenient with me in letting me off a 50 euro fine for not understanding the rules. (I bought a ticket, but didnt realise it needed to be validated in a little yellow machine!)
Lucky you Mr Spoony, get this....my better half and I were on the Isle of Ischia (one of the islands near Naples and the Amalfi Coast). We got day passes on the local "SEPSA" Buses, but the bus we got on was full, people forced on like sardines...anyhow, we did validate our day passes, or so we thought! The machine made the usual "clunk" noise, but to our later horror, the return bus back to our ferry to Naples, an inspector got on, the validator must have run out of ink and the passes looked unvalidated. Yes, even though the the passes had the day of purchase on them we still got fined off the tw*t and called him a robbing b**terd. So if you return to Italy, make sure that the validation was is actually printed on your ticket.
As for TrenItalia, we love using their trains and their staff have been excellent on every occasion. Ciao.

Dai.

Established Member
VT are out in front but I have to pick XC because their turbostar seats are comfy (in my opinion) and the livery looks nice.

Fincra5

Established Member
I reallylike virgin trains. My experience with them has been fine. When i used to use the cambrian line they always permitted me to use my advance ticket on the later train as arriva had been late arriving so i missed my connection.

The train managers and staff are freindly and helpful.

Established Member
National Express East Anglia. Their trains are fairly comfortable (apart from the 317/6 units, but the noise makes up for that :D) and the fares are reasonably priced, even if bought on the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.