• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Winchester peak services

Status
Not open for further replies.

oversteer

Contemplating a move to Hampshire and possibly Winchester area.
Can anyone who is a regular user on SWT tell me how the prospects are for travelling in the peaks? How loaded are the services from Winchester - do some need to stand the whole way in etc?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
Go to the back of any Up Weymouth or front of any Down, and you'll get a seat no problem. 2 fast an hour, 2 reasonably fast, it's a good service in my opinion.

oversteer

Only the back? :)
I enjoy shaving seconds off the commute by being in front of as many people as possible :)

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
You'd be surprised just how many commuters think they are the only person on the train who have had that idea.

Pro tip: sit in the coach furthest from the buffer stops at your terminal. Figure out a landmark which indicates you are five miles from arrival, walk forwards then.

Bob M

Before you move, you might like to check the season ticket price from Winchester!

oversteer

Yes it's £80 more per month than my current, certainly a consideration especially if I have to park too..

sadgit

My home station is Southampton Central. Never had any issues with SWT's service, WiFi is a bit iffy but I've always been able to get a seat and the trains are comfortable and usually well kept.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Coming away from Waterloo in the evening 'peak' some of the services towards Winchester are first stop Winchester so you avoid the Basingstoke/Woking bunch.

*wishes it was the same for Exeter bound services with first stop Overton to avoid those commuters*

oversteer

Coming away from Waterloo in the evening 'peak' some of the services towards Winchester are first stop Winchester so you avoid the Basingstoke/Woking bunch.

*wishes it was the same for Exeter bound services with first stop Overton to avoid those commuters*

Along that line is another consideration.. Perhaps Salisbury is a tad far, but how are loadings on the intermediate stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.