• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wixams (Bedfordshire) station should be built with 4 platforms

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It'd also lead to chargebacks and claims by any season ticket holders because "normal timescale for engineering works" can now mean anything from 8 weeks to 1 day.

It’s 8 weeks now, willbe 12 weeks by the Summer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jagardner1984

I suppose the big “jump off the page” number earlier in this thread was the 2200 cut off - which given how busy late night Thameslink services can be from London evening events - seems really early and for example 2330 would seem a more viable last service time. However the counter point that the closure of the slows here is less likely due to access to facilities at Bedord. Earlier in this thread an annual bus cost of £1m was mentioned. By my quick google - a taxi to Wixams from Bedford is around £11 - so even assuming every single passenger was transported separately, this would allow 91000 people to travel. Or, using the usage stats of nearby Flitwick (1.09million users) - 12% of all journeys.

Isn’t there something in “last service southbound at 2200” as the advertised service, with northbound services calling until 2359 except in cases of engineering possession.

It seems difficult to believe the numbers travelling in those two hours would be anywhere close to 91000.

As others have said though, there is definitely a discussion to be had as to why the basic provision of very basic station facilities is so spectacularly and prohibitively expensive, and why provision for future growth or basic service resilience is seen in some way as wasteful or optional.

We spend a lot of time telling people they don’t need to own a car. And for a lot of people with access to the excellent network of Thameslink - that is a viable choice. London, Airports and the rest of the Rail Network is in easy reach. However if that service is abandoned for whatever reason, we cannot be surprised when people hedge their bets by continuing to own cars (to drive home from Flitwick after the concert when the rail service gives up on them, for example). So resilience is so important for the strategic direction of the country, far more than just the quality of a rail service. Resilience should be assumed, not optional.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It’s 8 weeks now, willbe 12 weeks by the Summer.
Now that's a bold claim. Not one evening or weekend at less than 12 weeks notice? I'll hold you to it :lol:

We spend a lot of time telling people they don’t need to own a car.
I don't own a car and never have. Not sure who "we" is in that circumstance, because it's certainly not me and nobody has ever encouraged it upon me. There's nobody else in my family who'd be eligible to drive who doesn't have their own vehicle.

England is one of the worst places outside North America in which you could live if you don't own a car.

Last edited:

jagardner1984

Now that's a bold claim. Not one evening or weekend at less than 12 weeks notice? I'll hold you to it :lol:

I don't own a car and never have. Not sure who "we" is in that circumstance, because it's certainly not me and nobody has ever encouraged it upon me. There's nobody else in my family who'd be eligible to drive who doesn't have their own vehicle.

England is one of the worst places outside North America in which you could live if you don't own a car.
By we - I mean public policy is to discourage car ownership and use (by vehicle and fuel taxation) and encourage public transport use (through subsidy)

Nonetheless - over 36 million adults live in households with one or more cars, compared with 17 million who do not - so there is clearly some way to go for car free homes to become the majority.

And many of the threads on this board provide excellent reasons why people are reluctant to do so !

richieb1971

Established Member
I suppose the big “jump off the page” number earlier in this thread was the 2200 cut off - which given how busy late night Thameslink services can be from London evening events - seems really early and for example 2330 would seem a more viable last service time. However the counter point that the closure of the slows here is less likely due to access to facilities at Bedord. Earlier in this thread an annual bus cost of £1m was mentioned. By my quick google - a taxi to Wixams from Bedford is around £11 - so even assuming every single passenger was transported separately, this would allow 91000 people to travel. Or, using the usage stats of nearby Flitwick (1.09million users) - 12% of all journeys.

Isn’t there something in “last service southbound at 2200” as the advertised service, with northbound services calling until 2359 except in cases of engineering possession.

It seems difficult to believe the numbers travelling in those two hours would be anywhere close to 91000.

As others have said though, there is definitely a discussion to be had as to why the basic provision of very basic station facilities is so spectacularly and prohibitively expensive, and why provision for future growth or basic service resilience is seen in some way as wasteful or optional.

We spend a lot of time telling people they don’t need to own a car. And for a lot of people with access to the excellent network of Thameslink - that is a viable choice. London, Airports and the rest of the Rail Network is in easy reach. However if that service is abandoned for whatever reason, we cannot be surprised when people hedge their bets by continuing to own cars (to drive home from Flitwick after the concert when the rail service gives up on them, for example). So resilience is so important for the strategic direction of the country, far more than just the quality of a rail service. Resilience should be assumed, not optional.
Very good post. I like it.

Some other fact that nobody seems to consider is that Kempston has a population of almost 23000 people. Which is right on the door step of Wixams, then you have the capture areas of Wixams, Houghton Conquest, Stewartby and Marston Moretaine.

Kempston - 23000
Wixams - 6000
Houghton Conquest - 3000
Stewartby - 1200
Marston Moretaine - 6000
Wooton - 4000

So the catchment area of Wixams station is nearing 44000 people. Yeah I know Kempston could easily be the catchment area of Bedford which it currently is, but Wixams would be closer in a timed event as your only travelling down 1 B road to get there. Its literally 5 mins away. The other places are much closer to Wixams as they are mostly in the opposite direction. Bedford station to Kempston is about 10-15 mins on a clear day and 20-25 mins during busier periods. So using Bedford as the catchment station means a lot of folk are travelling back towards Wixams to get home. Some are even going to go past it.

Bedford population is 173,000 but includes Kempston and Biddenham in that figure. So Bedford on its own is about 147k.

The Planner

Veteran Member
There will always be late change, it existed enough when it was T12 in the past. Short term plans will be offered in two week chunks to get back to 12 weeks.

stuu

Established Member
Really? Worse than Brazil? Or Saudi Arabia? Or Iceland? Rural France wouldn't be much fun either

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Luton to Bedford is also a two track railway on Sunday mornings isn't it? I haven't seen anything to say that Bedford Council are underwriting replacement buses for the few times that the fast lines are being used by Thameslink services on Sunday mornings.

All the other stations have four platforms.

james-tyler

I guess quite a lot has changed since February now, so I thought I'd post some updates post the Universal Public Consultations that took place this week.

Universal have made it clear, that 4 platforms at Wixams station is a must - and the station must be operational and open before the park is (2029-2030). They spoke of 'fast services' serving the station also but it waste made clear if this was going to be Thameslink or perhaps even East Midlands Railway serving the midlands direct to Wixams. Same situation regarding EWR being operational to Oxford - More detail here: https://universalukproject.co.uk/wp...ersalUKProject.InformationPack.April-2024.pdf

They have plans including shuttles running to and from 'East Gateway Zone' which will be the Wixams station. The 'residents' side of the station to be kept in similar style as it is planned today, a local station, the the west side will be developed with much larger facilities and shuttles running too & from the theme park.

1713558130788.png

PGAT

Established Member
I think 4tph Thameslink is an obvious start for Wixams, including after 7pm where they extend the Three Bridges services back to Bedford from Luton. It might also be nice to see Luton - Rainham services turn around at Wixams but that may be wishful thinking. Regarding EMR, I doubt there's capacity for anything to stop unless one of the Bedford/Luton Airport Parkway/Luton stops are sacrificed

MML

The problem with the existing station design is the island platform. It is currently planned to be located between the up slow and the down slow. This is the wrong location. It should be located between the up fast and down slow, similar to other MML stations.
It would then be future proofed to add a platform and station building on the down fast, western side to serve the theme park if further investment was forthcoming.

richieb1971

Established Member
They have plans including shuttles running to and from 'East Gateway Zone' which will be the Wixams station.
Fantastic now someone is on my page.

No direct mention of 4 platforms still and the transport hub is on the west side which is the fast lines.

It raises more questions about its design, the S106 funding etc, but yeah 4 platforms and mention of shuttles and promotional transport tickets is music to my ears.

Just need to flesh out how network will deliver all this.

I assume shuttles is referring to Universal owned mono rail/buses/cable car and not referring to the railway itself. I thought railway but now I'm leaning towards park owned infrastructure.

Happy camper here so far.

The problem with the existing station design is the island platform. It is currently planned to be located between the up slow and the down slow. This is the wrong location. It should be located between the up fast and down slow, similar to other MML stations.
It would then be future proofed to add a platform and station building on the down fast, western side to serve the theme park if further investment was forthcoming.
When I heard this design I was underwhelmed. But high embankments are north and south of this location along with the B530 bridge next to lots of new housing. I think the station should be next to the car auction it has acres of free space is more picturesque and the car auction could move leaving a wonderful pre built car park for the taking. But no they want it surrounded by pre existing infrastructure. The site I am talking about used to be a munitions ww2 supply port and has room for the same sidings that were there 70 years ago.

The news wr have is very welcome though. As we know lots of things can change.

Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member