• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would the majority of passengers use the lounge car now on Sleepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Mod - split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/caledonian-sleeper.176365

Deleted

Does the Scottish legislation carve out a special niche for service of food on trains? I don’t see how the physical distancing requirement should be any different to a small café which, as we all know, have deemed it ‘worth it’ to open their doors for some time now.

If there is an question of economics for the Club Car, then at least CS should trial increasing the prices rather than lazily giving up the service because it’s all too much of a trial for them. It’s not like this is a 2 hour journey with food and drink not really needed, with the ECML diversion this was 13 hours with only a bacon roll or granola in the morning.
Not really, but a point which has been raised earlier is that the sleeper hosts are essential for the running of the train (they’re not like catering hosts on other services) - if they have to self-isolate and no replacements can be found then the sleeper might have to be cancelled with passengers forced to make alternative arrangements at short notice (which could be difficult in Covid times). Much better just to keep the sleeper running and to minimise the staff’s chance of catching Covid.

You should have been offered room service in the evening with a menu in your berth; CS should have informed you if this was unavailable. Perhaps take this up with them, as you should have been offered in-room refreshments even if the lounge car wasn’t open?

I disagree with increasing prices any further, as CS’ refreshments are already very expensive by the standards of on-train catering - it would get to a stage where the items offered such poor value for money that passengers would just buy before boarding anyway.

Another point - would the majority of passengers want to use the lounge car in Covid times, or might they feel happier just keeping themselves to themselves in their rooms and having in-room refreshments? I wonder if CS have done market research to this effect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
Another point - would the majority of passengers want to use the lounge car in Covid times, or might they feel happier just keeping themselves to themselves in their rooms and having in-room refreshments? I wonder if CS have done market research to this effect?
I'd certainly use the lounge car. It's no different from going to a restaurant, pub or cafe, and I couldn't care less about covid.

najaB

Veteran Member
and I couldn't care less about covid.
And people wonder why the UK is the fith worst affected country in the OECD in terms of deaths per capita, despite having one of the highest per-captia spending on healthcare.

GordonT

I'd certainly use the lounge car. It's no different from going to a restaurant, pub or cafe, and I couldn't care less about covid.
So presumably you'll not be troubling the NHS for treatment if you contract the virus and become critically ill?

trebor79

Established Member
So presumably you'll not be troubling the NHS for treatment if you contract the virus and become critically ill?
Of course if get ill I'll go for treatment. By your principle I should be denied treatment if I crash my light aircraft because I've chosen to take that risk?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And people wonder why the UK is the fith worst affected country in the OECD in terms of deaths per capita, despite having one of the highest per-captia spending on healthcare.

I do get that in terms of the flippant statement, but it is just a pub, it is neither higher nor lower risk than any other pub. And pubs are open in Scotland now.

najaB

Veteran Member
I do get that in terms of the flippant statement, but it is just a pub, it is neither higher nor lower risk than any other pub. And pubs are open in Scotland now.
If it followed the same rules as most Scottish pubs it wouldn't be very much use, since they close at 10:30pm. That said, I expect that it will be back in operation relatively soon.

andbrads

Mod - split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/caledonian-sleeper.176365

The answer to that question can easily be found by seeing how many times a day the reopening is asked about on CS' Twitter account, the reaction is invariably incredulous. As far as I am aware, eating in the dining car is elective and those that wish to remain in their cabins are not dragged out to eat haggis.

As for increasing food prices killing demand, why was the GWR dining brought back if this is the case?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mild for those it doesn't kill.
I don't see how it's any different to OC43 and other similar viruses; see my other posts on the subject. If you wish to debate this further, feel free to create a dedicated thread.

Not really, but a point which has been raised earlier is that the sleeper hosts are essential for the running of the train (they’re not like catering hosts on other services) - if they have to self-isolate and no replacements can be found then the sleeper might have to be cancelled with passengers forced to make alternative arrangements at short notice (which could be difficult in Covid times). Much better just to keep the sleeper running and to minimise the staff’s chance of catching Covid.
This excuse will disappear within 4 weeks, as from then onwards anyone who has had two doses of the vaccine won't have to isolate if they are a contact (and anyone who has the vaccine is unlikely to test positive; it can happen of course as the vaccine does not completely prevent it, but dramatically reduces the chances) and by then there won't be that many people left who won't have had the opportunity to have two doses.

You should have been offered room service in the evening with a menu in your berth; CS should have informed you if this was unavailable. Perhaps take this up with them, as you should have been offered in-room refreshments even if the lounge car wasn’t open?
If the advertised service wasn't available, compensation is payable.

Details of compensation are in their Charter ( http://www.sleeper.scot/wp-content/...n-Sleeper-Guest-Experience-Charter-201920.pdf )

I disagree with increasing prices any further, as CS’ refreshments are already very expensive by the standards of on-train catering - it would get to a stage where the items offered such poor value for money that passengers would just buy before boarding anyway.
The whole CS offering is poor value for money and I can't see myself doing it to be honest, and that's without any further increase.

I guess it depends on whether they are planning alone or in a group; if the latter I'd be very surprised if they did not want to use it.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
I’d not be minded to use the Caledonian Sleeper at any point, as their prices are ridiculous in the context of the service provided.

If for some reason I did find myself on board one of their trains, I would use the lounge car if it were convenient for me.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’d not be minded to use the Caledonian Sleeper at any point, as their prices are ridiculous in the context of the service provided.

If for some reason I did find myself on board one of their trains, I would use the lounge car if it were convenient for me.
That sums up my position too!

andbrads

I would use the lounge car as the cabins are tiny and sitting in one for 12 hours is claustrophobic in the extreme. Also, I would like to make the trip more of an experience than being locked in a cell by having some food and / or wine. Regarding covid, I don't see how it is any different a risk to going in a cafe of the same size, I am happy to wear a mask whilst moving around (but not between bites or sips!)

najaB

Veteran Member
Regarding covid, I don't see how it is any different a risk to going in a cafe of the same size, I am happy to wear a mask whilst moving around (but not between bites or sips!)
I'd be very surprised if they don't restart food/drink service in the club car fairly soon.

williamn

Everyone on here can moan about the prices of the CS but the fact is that many services are very full or sold out for the summer, so they must be doing something right! I see the lounge as a nice thing to have but not essential, particularly on lowlander routes. I'd use it if it were available now.

andbrads

Everyone on here can moan about the prices of the CS but the fact is that many services are very full or sold out for the summer, so they must be doing something right! I see the lounge as a nice thing to have but not essential, particularly on lowlander routes. I'd use it if it were available now.

Nothing to do with foreign travel being so difficult?! CS could operate a North Korean state railway level of service right now and still fill their trains. Whilst they will reap the benefits of the situation in 2021, it's a shame that they haven't made the effort to up their game and fulfil the promise made in the marketing as that would secure custom for future years when customers have a choice of holiday once again.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'd happily use the club car right now. Good single malts are the only way I can reasonably guarantee some sleep in the new stock.

To be be found (free) in BA Lounges and Onboard - sleep in your Hotel ;)

Are free Malt's part of The Hotel on Rails Package ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.