• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

X factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
It's absolute twaddle. I did watch tonight because I kind of had to (family dinner in front of TV again) and the Criminal Conviction stuff definately looked like a set-up. I also noticed that both groups set-up from ex-soloists got through. What a coincidence...

Anyway, the 200,000 or so applicants are vetted by people who look for decent singers with storylines and people who can't sing. They make the latter category think they can sing and embarass them, whilst the decent singers are put through hell to get to the finals for the money-maker: televoting.

Particularly with 14yos, the show has stooped to a new low. It's unfair to raise the hopes of people this young and then shatter them.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Well, I know for a fact that you can't just go straight to the audition and see the judges.
You have to see other people first, who will decide whether you are "television material" and then pass you onto the judges after that.

They also often put people next to each other in audition queues to make for good tv.

Not sure if it's all fixed though.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Well, the auditions are shown way after they actually happened, so I dunno if boot camp is upto date. I guess it must be or else the results of who gets through would probably leak.

FusionRail

x-factor is so boring, but if im am bored it ends up as entertainment watching some tw*ats making a fool of themselves.. id rather watch mock the week though

djw1981

Established Member
TV crews are sworn to immense secrecy, as are the show contestants. Releasing any details can result in either losing their contract, or being kicked off the show.

Gizmogle

Established Member
TV crews are sworn to immense secrecy, as are the show contestants. Releasing any details can result in either losing their contract, or being kicked off the show.

Oh yes, of course, but we all know what people are like when it comes to the tabloids.

I'd certainly be tempted to sell the story to paper and hope not to be found out.

djw1981

Established Member
Their trick is also to film the ending 5 times with each person winning, even if they know who the real winner is, so the contestants don;t know.

To most of the staff it is just a job, and about as interesting to them as train timetables are to a lot of staff - its just a job.They've seen talent shows come and go, seen film stars and pop stars come and go and they've pointed lights, cameras, microphones at them, or arranged for their every whim backstage. And basically couldn't give a monkeys who wins as long as the production looks good, they get paid, and a contract for next series.

Gizmogle

Established Member
They film different endings?
But then, surely that's illegal or something, cause millions of people vote and spend their money on the person they want to win...

Gizmogle

Established Member
So, they film alternate endings with different winners, but, if everyone votes for "X" and then the newspapers get early information from a good source that "X" wins the competition. Do they use another ending where "Y" or "Z" win?

Bonemaster

But the judges implicitly tell you who is good and who is bad which will influence enough people to sway the voting each week

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yes. They give their opinion.
Which I can completely understand the reaons for.

Remember Pop Idol? Michelle McManus...

Mintona

Established Member
I reckon I could win the X Factor - I've just been given a singing role in a local performance of the Lion King :D

But the judges implicitly tell you who is good and who is bad which will influence enough people to sway the voting each week

it's been seen on numerous occasions certain contestants who the mentors.....hate have been voted through by the public. but i know what you mean

me123

Established Member
The thing I hate most is the judges; they have no clue what they're talking about half the time and are we really supposed to believe that they act as "mentors?"

Anyway, they decide base don good telly which is unfair to the bad singers who think they're good who are then publically humiliated.

I have also heard from an anonymous source that it is a set-up, but if the contestents reveal this, they can be fined.

djw1981

Established Member
If the best singers from each round went through there would be no 'underdog', no 'plucky local guy/gal'. You have to remember that X factor is not a music show, it is a TV entertainment show. thus it has to be OTT, entertaining, have drama and suspense. Otherwise viewing figures drop, advertising revenue drops and it doesn't make enough money for ITV, so they put a new show on in its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.